playback broken lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• playback broken lines

What does it mean during playback when the path becomes broken dark green for a bit before aircraft disappears with rad question mark signal? does that mean it is guessing the path once the broken lines start?

Probably in an area with no coverage. So the path is the estimated route with ? confirming its not sure of present data.
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Thanks, I was curious since its the status of QZ8501 the subject of major SAR ops in Asia, and tehre were other A/C around, I did note its radar code was T-EST2 at the time

see attached
      qz8501.png

Comment

T-est is a multitude of sources combined. Couple of smart calculations to position
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

OK thanks.

Comment

interesting, you guys just tweeted a playback that ends where the broken lines start
            didnt know FR24 had 2 playback methods

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
              T-est is a multitude of sources combined. Couple of smart calculations to position
              Actually now I've studied this closely in my part of the world, and recalling mike saying "every position contains data from many feeders" (multitude of sources) and after a landed medivac helo in the mountain range behind me kept flying by FR24 for some 40K's more - I am now certain this broken lines is pure guess work calculation based on last known stats, and there is no signal received.

Perhaps if there is no signal for 30 seconds, its removed as not there, why bother trying to guess.

Comment

wow it really is a guessing game, FR24 is way off base with this.... I think the code is broken, and since FR24 prides itself on accuracy, WTF are these flights even doing being guessed, kinda contradicts everything Mike has been telling us

This aircraft from radio is NOWHERE near where FR24 claims it is, nor would it ever track like this

fr24bb.png

Comment

Why don't you set it up as you wish or even turn it off.....zest.jpg
                  For official support use Contact Form

Comment

Originally posted by Ressy View Post
                    wow it really is a guessing game, FR24 is way off base with this.... I think the code is broken, and since FR24 prides itself on accuracy, WTF are these flights even doing being guessed, kinda contradicts everything Mike has been telling us

This aircraft from radio is NOWHERE near where FR24 claims it is, nor would it ever track like this

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5409[/ATTACH]
                    Unless you got a boat out there, moored and uploading. You aren't going to see any planes much further than the pink line. T-EST is exactly that - a 'test' attempt to give more coverage outside of ground cover that is present. It usually comes from a mix of other sources outside of FR24. Transponders have also known to be faulty causing similar tracks. Especially LAN airlines A340s who jump around the place with incorrect GPS locations

Comment

Unless you got a boat out there, moored and uploading. You aren't going to see any planes much further than the pink line. T-EST is exactly that - a 'test' attempt to give more coverage outside of ground cover that is present. It usually comes from a mix of other sources outside of FR24. Transponders have also known to be faulty causing similar tracks. Especially LAN airlines A340s who jump around the place with incorrect GPS locations
                      Considering Mike went to great pains in a couple of threads about why things are not showing up at all based on one single feeder, I find it highly contradictory that FR24 decides it *will* do guess, and there for accept and display un-authoratative and likely *wrong* data which defeats all Mike has been saying when we complained about no-shows, when we see them.

You are far better off dropping the damn thing altogether if there is no data after the "dead time" which I assume is about 30 seconds or so. Because all I see now is a lot of inaccuracies, and that Mike repeatedly tells us is what he wants to avoid.

Pretty much looks like, on one hand FR24 is telling its feeders, look we dont trust you as a single source, but then FR24 decides lets roll hte dice, and throw some darts and where she lands is anyones guess.

you either strive for extreme accuracy as Mike tells us.... or you don't think much of accuracy, you can not have it both ways, well, ok its FR24s systems they can do WTF they want with it, but it makes an utter mockery out of everything that Mike and the staff tell us.

(I also note Mike is not bothering to comment, which says volumes)

Comment

There never use to be out-of-receiver coverage back in the day. So the addition to it, even if some are wrong by various means is actually a lot better than none in the greater scheme of things. Considering the amount of traffic out there and visitors to the site that are perfectly happy with the results when it comes to them needing to find what they are after at that time.

Prior to the external/satellite based data sources there was constant threads of 'OMG ITS CRASHED' or 'where is x flight, I cant see it' which are almost a thing of the past now as a result.

FlightAware gets the same. But do not have such a popular or transparent forum as here for it to be known. As the saying goes, you can please some of the people all of the time, or all of the people some of the time. But often never both.

For them to correct the data to prevent such things, I suspect more issues would arise. Imagine the additional processing time and following complaints. As it stands I'm gobsmacked that the system does so damn well to have thousands of data sources, uploading 4 second worth of captured data in packets which is opened, checked for validity, combined, most recent data found to display 8-13,000 targets at any one time. Every 1-4 seconds! All the while being referenced with multiple other external sources to be ready to fill gaps when no more data is uploaded from its own network.

Highly suspect to grab those external sources and cross reference to improve accuracy it would add even more delay and bring in yet more complaints (mostly about real-time inaccuracies rather than the odd positional one - a lot of the external sources even add delays to releasing the data)

Comment

In the greater scheme of things.. people have to step back and remember what's displayed is an unofficial source, and the accuracy or inaccuracies on any of the tracking sites is more or less irrelevant, but knowing the in-range provided data is spot on (unless the uploaders setup is unreliable)

Such goals may well be set in the back ground, but only to stay ahead of any of the others if there is a revenue/commercial interest (of which most are using the same sources anyway or co-sharing). We're all tapped into a system and playing with the data it provides to make it look good even though it wasn't designed to be used in this way.

That's why airports and ATC use satellite, ground based secondary radar and ATC. As accurate as it gets - But unfortunately, noone has free reign to that so we make do by mashing together what is available.

Comment

There never use to be out-of-receiver coverage back in the day. So the addition to it, even if some are wrong by various means is actually a lot better than none in the greater scheme of things. Considering the amount of traffic out there and visitors to the site that are perfectly happy with the results when it comes to them needing to find what they are after at that time.
                            No mater how you spin out, its still contradictory, you trust your unverified data "guessing game" because it "might" be there, but when you have signals we see, you wont display because its unverified data is hypocritical, so you selectively think none is better than some, just not when it comes from actual data feeders, lol.

Thats all I'm gunna say on the matter, because its going on deaf ears and is turning comical.

Comment

It's not on deaf ears or comical. I hear ya. I'm just less concerned about it clearly

I can see what I'm receiving. VRS takes care of that, anything outside that doesn't bother me (we KNOW the displayed radar code means jack) and I realise it'll never be as accurate as anyone claims when it's outside my control.

Your answer was given early on. Dashed line = not a ground based uploader with direct connection to the network. But data obtained elsewhere that they don't have control over.

There's always the option to watch flightaware or planefinder instead. But both have similar anomalies outside of ground based stations.

Comment

Working...
                              X