PHILIPPINE RADAR FORUM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by paradiselost View Post
    Noel, ADS-B and other receiving antennas can coexist on the same mast provided the ADS-B antenna either stands off from the mast or is placed at the very top with the tv antenna mounted below. TV signals are horizontally polarized where as ADS-B signals are vertically polarized.

The reason cell phones interfere with audio equipment is the transmit as well as receive function of the device/antenna. When a cell phone periodically "calls home" to find its location among cell towers, it is this transmit function that causes the interference.

If you mount an omni-directional antenna like an ADS-B on a vertical mast or tower leg the stand off spacing is somewhat critical. If the stand off spacing is too close, the vertical mast or vertical tower leg will reflect back or shield the line of sight ADS-B transponder signals from being received in that direction.

In the case of multiple ADS-B antennas on the same horizontal plane I use a tee with a 12" nipple on either side to stand off from the top of the mast terminating into another tee with each having a 12" nipple, elbow and a capped 12" vertical nipple to attach the antenna. This type of arrangement will accommodate 4 or more antennas, spaced two foot apart, that will peacefully co-exist with no interference in line of sight.

John
    F-RPVD1
    Dumaguete
    Hi John,

I am trying to visualize your descriptions in bold and any chance you have a picture or two to show what you described? So I can know what I imagined is actually what you have set up? thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
      Hi John,

I am trying to visualize your descriptions in bold and any chance you have a picture or two to show what you described? So I can know what I imagined is actually what you have set up? thanks.
      North Borneo Radar maybe this will help visualizing. I am currently using 3 antennas but have placed the directions to expand to 4 in the picture.

John
      F-RPVD1
      Dumaguete

Comment

• Hi, (Uncle) John!

I am perhaps the latest host of FR24 gear in the block... alias F-RPVM2. Exact location is 10.3259N 123.8990E (as referenced by FR24). First seen online: 2014-12-28 13:30:03 (nice combination of digits!)

I sent you a PM on your PIENO website some days ago...

Am on steep learning curve tweaking the setup to optimize it. Am also reading all over the Forum (quite difficult to wade thru hundreds of Posts to find the more appropriate one) to be more educated.

Who and where is RPVM1? All-wise Uncle must know...

Gerry
        F-RPVM2
        Cebu City

Comment

• Originally posted by gquejada View Post
          Hi, (Uncle) John!

I am perhaps the latest host of FR24 gear in the block... alias F-RPVM2. Exact location is 10.3259N 123.8990E (as referenced by FR24). First seen online: 2014-12-28 13:30:03 (nice combination of digits!)

I sent you a PM on your PIENO website some days ago...

Am on steep learning curve tweaking the setup to optimize it. Am also reading all over the Forum (quite difficult to wade thru hundreds of Posts to find the more appropriate one) to be more educated.

Who and where is RPVM1? All-wise Uncle must know...

Gerry
          F-RPVM2
          Cebu City
          Gerry welcome aboard. RPVM1 is a mystery to us also. It must be close to the airport maybe in one of the condos on Lapu Lapu because of the good ground coverage at the airport.

You are in good company in this forum. Unfortunately several of the feeders here in the Visayas have never checked in.

Your contribution to the coverage area is immensely appreciated since your coverage overlaps RPVO1 (South Leyte), RPVM1, RPVD1 (Dumaguete), RPVB1 (Bacolod/Silay), RPVI1 (Ilo Ilo) and RPLP1 (Legazpi). We have two inactive stations RPVT1 (Which we are awaiting permission to relocate to Dipolog) and RPML1 in CDO.

MLAT is the ability for FR24 to track planes that do not have ADS-B capability but do possess Mode-S capabilities like the PAL Expess and Cebu Pacific turboprops. For this to work 4 or more receivers have to be tracking the same plane and if the number or receivers tracking drops below 4, MLAT positioning capability ceases. You can see how much your addition will help FR24 with this feature.

John
          RPVD1
          Dumaguete

Comment

• Originally posted by paradiselost View Post
            Gerry welcome aboard. RPVM1 is a mystery to us also. It must be close to the airport maybe in one of the condos on Lapu Lapu because of the good ground coverage at the airport.

You are in good company in this forum. Unfortunately several of the feeders here in the Visayas have never checked in.

Your contribution to the coverage area is immensely appreciated since your coverage overlaps RPVO1 (South Leyte), RPVM1, RPVD1 (Dumaguete), RPVB1 (Bacolod/Silay), RPVI1 (Ilo Ilo) and RPLP1 (Legazpi). We have two inactive stations RPVT1 (Which we are awaiting permission to relocate to Dipolog) and RPML1 in CDO.

MLAT is the ability for FR24 to track planes that do not have ADS-B capability but do possess Mode-S capabilities like the PAL Expess and Cebu Pacific turboprops. For this to work 4 or more receivers have to be tracking the same plane and if the number or receivers tracking drops below 4, MLAT positioning capability ceases. You can see how much your addition will help FR24 with this feature.

John
            RPVD1
            Dumaguete
            Hi, Uncle John!

Thanks for Welcome, am learning as much as I can to contribute. My overlapping coverages with RPVO1, RPVM1, RPVD1, RPVB1, RPVI1 and RPLP1 bring some questions to mind...

a) some planes seem to be "just under my nose" and the polar maps provided by FR24 of my actual site give my exact coverage, but why are other Radar feeders attributed? It is not proximity (of spotter) to target plane that matters but antenna location of spotter? I can surmise from observations at my location that RPVI1, RPVD1 and especially RPVO1 must have very good antenna locations/setup! Of course, all are using the same antenna FR24 provided with the kit.

b) MLAT seems available in the Visayas already. I saw this one just this morning...

IMG_0341.jpgIMG_0342.jpg

But MLAT does not seem easy to implement. I saw this also this morning... Crazy, I would say! But is this an accurate plot of actual path?

IMG_0335.jpgIMG_0336.jpg

How does an additional FR24 receiver help? My box says ModeS:disabled. I have learned reading from the Forum that FR24 controls this feature of their receivers.

c) How do you make those polar plots from your VRS site? I have looked at the FR24 plots you have; you did not get those from FR24? I would like to make similar ones for my site to study/tweak my setup. Heywhatsthere gives only a simulated plot, I think, and IGNORES man-made structures, trees and other obstructions...

d) Is there any way we could communicate with F-RPVM1?

PS... am excited to see how the "no-fly zones" will be implemented in Manila and Tacloban when the Pope Francis comes in about two weeks...

Gerry
            F-RPVM2
            Cebu City

Comment

• @gquejada

Dont worry to much on our feeders. Website Info is limited. if there is list im sure all Visayas Receivers is on that specific Airplane. Well I use VRS i get up to 15 to 25 plane at regular basis. what important is you get a good coverage base on statistics at FR24 website. Mine is around 240 to 270nm. with round 75K Positions Reported Max.

Ask Technical support to Enable your Mode S.
              Last edited by Kailrusha; 2014-12-31, 05:02.
              RPVO1

Comment

Hi, Uncle John!

Thanks for Welcome, am learning as much as I can to contribute. My overlapping coverages with RPVO1, RPVM1, RPVD1, RPVB1, RPVI1 and RPLP1 bring some questions to mind...

a) some planes seem to be "just under my nose" and the polar maps provided by FR24 of my actual site give my exact coverage, but why are other Radar feeders attributed?..
                To have good coverage your antenna has to have a good line of sight to the horizon. Look at your mast and antenna from down the street and see if the neighbors green leafy trees are higher than your antenna. If they are you won't have good coverage in that direction because the 1090 mhz transponder signal is absorbed by the tree's leaves and it never arrives at your antenna. Attribution to another FR24 receiver is probable because their signal from the same target is not obstructed. Following one airplane 5 or 10 minutes will see the attribution changing several times as it moves further away from it's origination. The algorithm FR24 uses to decide attribution has always been a mystery and is not written in stone and is always being tweaked.

The Zest aircraft going in circles is an accurate representation. Tagbilaran airport has room on the apron for three planes and over the weekend a disabled plane couldn't be moved requiring shutting down the incoming airplanes from Manila. The disabled plane is still there but when PAL Express and Cebu Pacific are still on the ground, Zest has to fly in circles until one clears the runway. Bad weather over the weekend at Kalibo caused one China Airlines plane to abort landing several times before redirecting to Manila. A PAL Express continued flying in circles for a while.

How does an additional FR24 receiver help? My box says ModeS:disabled. I have learned reading from the Forum that FR24 controls this feature of their receivers.
                Each new F-FEEDER goes through a validation period and one morning you will wake up and Mode-S will be enabled. In the meantime you will not be one of the 4 receivers tracking the same plane.
                c) How do you make those polar plots from your VRS site? I have looked at the FR24 plots you have; you did not get those from FR24? I would like to make similar ones for my site to study/tweak my setup.
                Suggested reading are the three help pages at

d) Is there any way we could communicate with F-RPVM1?
                No

John
                F-RPVD1
                Dumaguete

Comment

• Happy New Year Everyone
                  Ice
                  F-RPLL3

Comment

• Will the Pope's flight be visible on FR24.

What Airline will Pope Francis use?
                    Ice
                    F-RPLL3

Comment

• Originally posted by AircraftSpotterPH View Post
                      Will the Pope's flight be visible on FR24.

Hi,

Here is an interesting news item... http://www.journal.com.ph/news/natio...on-papal-visit

Pope Francis is arriving 545pm Jan 15th from Sri Lanka on PAL. Perhaps that flight will be visible...

Comment

• Originally posted by Zamboanga Radar View Post

And if you take a closer look at the coverage, the edges are aircraft "Airways" and they all converge in ZAM junction.
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]5122[/ATTACH]

Join the Philippine Radar Project
                        Hi, Zamboanga Radar

Where did you get this aircraft airways plot, if I may ask? Do you have airways plots for the whole Philippines? the whole world? Looks like a very useful plot...

Gerry
                        F-RPVM2
                        Cebu City

Comment

• Originally posted by AircraftSpotterPH View Post
                          Will the Pope's flight be visible on FR24.

Hi,
                          Pope Francis will certainly be visible when he arrives NAIA from Sri Lanka on Jan 15.... BUT many not be completely covered when he flies to Tacloban. I hope I am wrong, but RPVA does not seem visible to any FR24 feeder below 6500ft, when aircraft is on final approach.... Anything we can do?

Gerry
                          F-RPVM2
                          Cebu

Comment

Hi, Zamboanga Radar

Where did you get this aircraft airways plot, if I may ask? Do you have airways plots for the whole Philippines? the whole world? Looks like a very useful plot...

Gerry
                            F-RPVM2
                            Cebu City

Gerry, the vectors are here. https://skyvector.com/?ll=6.92241944...art=302&zoom=3

Zoom out for the whole Philippines to see all major airports then zoom in to see vectors and their names around the airport of your interest.

Airlines use flight planning to navigate from navaid to navaid to arrive at their final destination which is not always in a straight line especially if they are routed around turbulent weather. Intersecting radials which have names are where course adjustments are made. All of the flight plan is loaded into the auto-pilot in pre-flight and the aircraft will fly that route unless the pilot takes over control. Frequently traveled routes taken are called Skyways.

John
                            F-RPVD1
                            Dumaguete
                            Last edited by paradiselost; 2015-01-04, 10:52.

Comment

Hi,
                              Pope Francis will certainly be visible when he arrives NAIA from Sri Lanka on Jan 15.... BUT many not be completely covered when he flies to Tacloban. I hope I am wrong, but RPVA does not seem visible to any FR24 feeder below 6500ft, when aircraft is on final approach.... Anything we can do?

Gerryhttp://forum.flightradar24.com/images/smilies/biggrin.png
                              F-RPVM2
                              Cebu
                              Gerry you could run over there with your dongle and laptop and campout on the end of the runway feeding FR24.

As a practical matter RPV01 is the closest over the mountains but if Tacloban is still limited to turbo-props that just leaves Cebu Pacific or Pal Express. The Church has a helicopter but it doesn't show up because it is just Mode-S. We have no MLAT coverage over there due to the lack of 4 tracking receivers online simultaneously. RPLP1 and RPV01 and perhaps your's RPVM2 are the only reliable receivers consistently online.

The Faithful won't be able to rely on us to provide end to end coverage but will need to rely on ABS-CBN or GMA to find out what is going on.

John
                              F-RPVD1
                              Dumaguete

Comment

Hi,

Gerry
                                F-RPVM2
                                Cebu
                                There no Host yet in RPVA. i have a House there in Tacloban. The City is Surrounded with 1k to 2K Mountain on its West Side.
                                Last edited by Kailrusha; 2015-01-04, 14:11.
                                RPVO1

Comment

Working...
                                X