Plotting Flight Routes Flying Overhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plotting Flight Routes Flying Overhead

Anyone know of a way to get a list of which aircraft are due to fly overhead a certain location?

If you click on any radar object, there's an option to show the projected route, based on the filed flight plan.

I would like to figure out a way to feed all filed flight plans and decipher which are flying over a certain location/set of co-ordinates.

I'm sure there must be a program written for this already somewhere...hopefully someone can help!

Cheers

Actually the lines drawn are a direct destination line plot, not projected route including any waypoints etc.

Flightaware lists any special waypoints required for a particular flight in the information box. From there you can decode the GPS locations using aviational charts and tools made for basestation included in the SBSResource package.

For instance JST180 to CHC:
    DCT CG DCT SIFRA M076F350 L503 RUNOD M077F370 L503 CH

Tells they must for that planned run use Runod: http://opennav.com/waypoint/AU/RUNOD
    During the flight there will be a decode option to decipher the waypoint shortnames. But glancing at that I can tell there is a Specific flight rule area to follow (SIFRA) - mentioning 35,000ft (poss low ceiling), and 37,000ft (poss high ceiling)

But generally there are static waypoints nearly all routes used. Here in NZ such as KABKA, CHARR are used in oceanic tasman routes. Your own country will have its own set points
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
      Actually the lines drawn are a direct destination line plot, not projected route including any waypoints etc.

Flightaware lists any special waypoints required for a particular flight in the information box. From there you can decode the GPS locations using aviational charts and tools made for basestation included in the SBSResource package.

Tells they must for that planned run use Runod: http://opennav.com/waypoint/AU/RUNOD
      During the flight there will be a decode option to decipher the waypoint shortnames. But glancing at that I can tell there is a Specific flight rule area to follow (SIFRA) - mentioning 35,000ft (poss low ceiling), and 37,000ft (poss high ceiling)

But generally there are static waypoints nearly all routes used. Here in NZ such as KABKA, CHARR are used in oceanic tasman routes. Your own country will have its own set points
      Thanks for the info. What i was wanting to do was take a list of airline flight numbers that i know usually fly over Alberta inbound to Vancouver/Seattle/LAX etc. These routes vary every day due to a number of reasons as you know, but i wanted a way to take filed flight plan details and figure out if any were going to pass over my house or nearby - for long range photography purposes. Might sound like a strange thing to want to do. I know that there's a way to do all this but might have to write a custom program to get the data and plot it on a map...

Comment

Originally posted by stuabroad View Post
        Thanks for the info. What i was wanting to do was take a list of airline flight numbers that i know usually fly over Alberta inbound to Vancouver/Seattle/LAX etc. These routes vary every day due to a number of reasons as you know, but i wanted a way to take filed flight plan details and figure out if any were going to pass over my house or nearby - for long range photography purposes. Might sound like a strange thing to want to do. I know that there's a way to do all this but might have to write a custom program to get the data and plot it on a map...
        but they sometimes modify the plan while in flight due to weather, etc.

Comment

Correct. And I've already given the main terms to look for - Waypoints. They are invisible spots in the sky, that routes go between. Find the local waypoints for the flight numbers after decoding the routes, find the lines they attempt to follow (wind blows off course etc)
          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
            Find the local waypoints for the flight numbers after decoding the routes, find the lines they attempt to follow (wind blows off course etc)
            What's the best way to do above??

Comment

Comment

cheers will have a look.

Comment

Working...
                X