No announcement yet.

Malaysia Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw a post about using adsbscope to stream raw data from the receiver, don't know whether I am allowed to do that or not, nevertheless after I set it up, I'm able to check my receiver's range. And, I still think that I should revise my antenna's location, as my coverage westward is short, especially around bearing 260° where it seems to be a blind spot for F-WBKL1 & F-WBKKX (forgot which number) at low altitude too. Will not be changing the location so soon but I'm determined to get a better coverage, my Dad also agreed to ask the Astro technician or similar to come for installation. (I think I have the liability to get the coverage as wide as possible, even though it's not convenient for me )

Also, upon streaming the raw data with adsbscope, I realized that the receiver do have data for aircrafts that doesn't report its position too, but only limited data available. Hope to see MLAT up again in south of Sabah though.

adsbSCOPE.jpg
    ~~F-WBGR1~~

Comment

• Originally posted by edward93 View Post
      Saw a post about using adsbscope to stream raw data from the receiver, don't know whether I am allowed to do that or not, nevertheless after I set it up, I'm able to check my receiver's range. And, I still think that I should revise my antenna's location, as my coverage westward is short, especially around bearing 260° where it seems to be a blind spot for F-WBKL1 & F-WBKKX (forgot which number) at low altitude too. Will not be changing the location so soon but I'm determined to get a better coverage, my Dad also agreed to ask the Astro technician or similar to come for installation. (I think I have the liability to get the coverage as wide as possible, even though it's not convenient for me )

Also, upon streaming the raw data with adsbscope, I realized that the receiver do have data for aircrafts that doesn't report its position too, but only limited data available. Hope to see MLAT up again in south of Sabah though.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5740[/ATTACH]
      Yes you can use adsbscope or VRS to access the raw data from your receiver. It's nothing to worry about. The range from abscope should correspond to the FR24 stats page's polar chart as well. Only difference is you are seeing the data in almost real time compared to on FR24 webpage where there will be a delay (10-20 seconds or so perhaps).

Take the time to discuss then on what to do with the antenna placement, keeping it high above any roof lines is always a good rule of thumb. But then there is a coax length issue I think for you?

For MLAT as most our receivers only overlap around the Kalimantan border that is where MLAT could appear. So only sometimes those a/c from KL-TWU route might appear or those doing a Denpasar-North Asia route would appear. There won't be much joy for our MasWing AT75s or DHC-6 Twin otters we need a few hosters around west coast for that to happen I think. At least we know it works and with our exisiting 'broadband' internet speed MLAT fix is possible. I was worried our slow internet might impede MLAT fix.

Moving the antenna clear of obstructions as much as possible is what you could do for now. Take you time to plan...

Comment

• Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
        Yes you can use adsbscope or VRS to access the raw data from your receiver. It's nothing to worry about. The range from abscope should correspond to the FR24 stats page's polar chart as well. Only difference is you are seeing the data in almost real time compared to on FR24 webpage where there will be a delay (10-20 seconds or so perhaps).

Take the time to discuss then on what to do with the antenna placement, keeping it high above any roof lines is always a good rule of thumb. But then there is a coax length issue I think for you?

For MLAT as most our receivers only overlap around the Kalimantan border that is where MLAT could appear. So only sometimes those a/c from KL-TWU route might appear or those doing a Denpasar-North Asia route would appear. There won't be much joy for our MasWing AT75s or DHC-6 Twin otters we need a few hosters around west coast for that to happen I think. At least we know it works and with our exisiting 'broadband' internet speed MLAT fix is possible. I was worried our slow internet might impede MLAT fix.

Moving the antenna clear of obstructions as much as possible is what you could do for now. Take you time to plan...
        Yeah, coax length is an issue for me if I put my receiver at ground floor as that's where my wireless router is located. So, now my only solution is to put the receiver on upper floor and then either put my wireless router there too or get a long Ethernet cable to connect it to my router downstairs. If that being implemented, 10m coax will be more than enough.

Oh, I thought the polar plot may be inaccurate as it seems to me that not all aircraft data are uploaded to FR24, I guess I was wrong. By the way, any ideas what does the different red colours in the polar plot means? Doesn't seems like number of reported position to me....

Ah, the slow internet...... Mine is only 1 Mbps download, and average 0.37 Mbps upload. Still waiting for UniFi to come to my area.
        ~~F-WBGR1~~

Comment

Yeah, coax length is an issue for me if I put my receiver at ground floor as that's where my wireless router is located. So, now my only solution is to put the receiver on upper floor and then either put my wireless router there too or get a long Ethernet cable to connect it to my router downstairs. If that being implemented, 10m coax will be more than enough.

Oh, I thought the polar plot may be inaccurate as it seems to me that not all aircraft data are uploaded to FR24, I guess I was wrong. By the way, any ideas what does the different red colours in the polar plot means? Doesn't seems like number of reported position to me....

Ah, the slow internet...... Mine is only 1 Mbps download, and average 0.37 Mbps upload. Still waiting for UniFi to come to my area.

Hi Edward,

Placing the receiver at the upper floor of your house with a longer LAN cable sounds like the way to go.

Ok at least now I know 1mbps broadband appears to be adequate for MLAT. I too am waiting for Unifi at KK and it seems to take ages.

I am not too sure about the polar chart myself but the redder it is it should mean more traffic/positions reported from there. I hope in a more easier way to understand it means how dense is your traffic and from which direction.
          Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2015-03-04, 13:48.

Comment

Edward, consider using powerline products to extend your ethernet.
            You don't need to use long ethernet cable (which your parents might not like!)

eg, http://www.tp-link.com.my/products/?categoryid=206

Comment

• Originally posted by who View Post

Oh haha.. also a way. what is the real speed in use domestically? Is it as fast as it is in the specs?
              Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2015-03-04, 14:30.

Comment

Thanks for the great information Mr. Who. I was just wondering if it will work with upstairs and downstairs electrical circuits. They normally have separate DB boxes for each floor. The spec's seems to say that they must be on the same line. I could be wrong.

Comment

Oh ya, had completely forgotten about that available technology. Will check it out, and thanks for the pointer!
                  ~~F-WBGR1~~

Comment

• Originally posted by dinhat View Post
                    hi all..

i was told by someone to check-in here to hv casual chat with other fr24 malaysian contributor.. i'm WMKN1 administrator.

has been on forum since T-WMKN1 active, but never posted any. so this is my 1st post. nice to meet you all.

regards
                    bro,could u please contact me at r a z 1 9 6 9 a t h o t m a i l d o t c o m?

Comment

• A bit more about powerline after some reading:

limitations: Powerline networks generally do not work as reliably if devices plug into power strips or extensions cords. Connect directly to the wall outlets for best results. In homes with multiple circuits installed, all devices must connect to the same one circuit to communicate with each other.

Same thing also mentioned in the tp link's user guide for their powerline kit.

Comment

Oh haha.. also a way. what is the real speed in use domestically? Is it as fast as it is in the specs?
                        Rated speeds are ideal conditions and no noise on power lines.
                        My 200Mbps model, I would usually get above 100Mbps.
                        Don't worry about it impacting the receiver performance, your internet isn't that fast anyway.
                        I stream 1080p high bitrate content over mine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Limpost View Post
                          Thanks for the great information Mr. Who. I was just wondering if it will work with upstairs and downstairs electrical circuits. They normally have separate DB boxes for each floor. The spec's seems to say that they must be on the same line. I could be wrong.
                          Is your house single or 3 phase?
                          If single, you have nothing to worry about.
                          If 3 phase, I haven't manage to test it myself to confirm.
                          Technically if the implementation is right, shouldn't matter.
                          Coz I don't know if the data is sent over live or neutral.
                          If it's the latter, then it should be fine.

Comment

A bit more about powerline after some reading:

limitations: Powerline networks generally do not work as reliably if devices plug into power strips or extensions cords. Connect directly to the wall outlets for best results. In homes with multiple circuits installed, all devices must connect to the same one circuit to communicate with each other.

Same thing also mentioned in the tp link's user guide for their powerline kit.
                            Use AC pass through models if you don't have enough wall sockets/outlets.

Comment

Is your house single or 3 phase?
                              If single, you have nothing to worry about.
                              If 3 phase, I haven't manage to test it myself to confirm.
                              Technically if the implementation is right, shouldn't matter.
                              Coz I don't know if the data is sent over live or neutral.
                              If it's the latter, then it should be fine.
                              Thanks brother. On Single phase. Anyway do not need it at the moment.

Comment

Hi Edward,

Yes we were hoping for better range towards the sea, but if you are already at the limit then it's difficult. With your health condition we also better not mess around with you and your family too much. Having MLAT5 possible is already quite an achievement. Do you think you have contacts at Miri/Bintulu/Sibu that might be interested in hosting? If there is then hope you can ask them to apply please.

SNIP
                                Originally posted by edward93 View Post
                                Don't put too high hopes on me yet though.

SNIP
                                Hi Edward,

I forgot to mention, Bintulu is the highest priority to get a host. So hopefully that gives you somewhere to start with.

Let us know when you plan to move the setup, so we can keep an eye on your range. Or you could quietly do it and see whether we notice any difference!
                                Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2015-03-06, 12:54.

Comment

Working...
                                X