Malaysia Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• antenna feed for FR24 receiver

was trying to wire up my new antenna feed recently using low loss LMR cable.

when plug in the cable connector, i see no signal and realised the FR24 receiver uses SMA instead of the standard RP SMA connector. sigh..wasted all the effort of getting up the roof etc.

any one here uses low loss cable?

Comment

• Originally posted by startomatic View Post

when plug in the cable connector, i see no signal and realised the FR24 receiver uses SMA instead of the standard RP SMA connector. sigh..wasted all the effort of getting up the roof etc.

Well, SMA is the quite standard for RF.
      It's just RP-SMA is normally used for wifi only, as during the early years of wifi, the industry doesn't want ppl to be able to obtain the connector and used it to connect to their access points and exceed the ERP for their respective regions.

But of course, over the years, the RP variant are also more easily available.

Think of it this way, RP variant of connectors as mostly used for WiFi and the standard (non-RP) for normal RF.

RP = reverse polarity. Male connector (usually with plug and pin) has the gender reversed for the signal.
      So, a male RP connector is plug and a hole instead. Female RP connectors are jack with pin (reversed) now.

No wasted effort. Just re-terminated the cable (receiver's end) to SMA.
      Of course this is provided you have the connector and crimper.
      Last edited by who; 2014-07-10, 10:18.

Comment

• Originally posted by startomatic View Post

What LMR do you use? 200? 400? But yes... will need the normal non RP connectors. Must be a big D'oh moment.

Comment

• Better delete your post with your email address limpost? Just a thought. Good luck with the DIY antenna...

Comment

• Limpost,

Got it.
            You may delete the post with your email address.
            Last edited by who; 2014-07-11, 06:25.

Comment

• Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
              What LMR do you use? 200? 400? But yes... will need the normal non RP connectors. Must be a big D'oh moment.
              you bet.

i have a 10m length of LMR200. this was bought in the days before POE and for princely sum too.

this cable makes a world of difference especially on longer length. so it was a good investement.

Comment

• Startomatic,

I've got some extra MOV and GDT yesterday. Would you be interested?

Comment

• All Malaysian Radar'ers,

If you guys have problems looking for adapters (F, BNC, N, SMA), satellite in line amplifiers (900-2150MHz 25dB 18VDC), 3M Scotch 23 (self amalgamating tape), etc.
                  Let me know. But i'll rather not travel just to get one piece. See if there's enough interest from everyone to group your orders together.

Trying to help everyone out having problems trying to connect things up to feed / view ADS-B.

Cheers!

Comment

• Originally posted by startomatic
                    very much indeed. can you drop me a mail at

and will take it up from there. thanks.
                    You may delete this post with your email.

Comment

Better delete your post with your email address limpost? Just a thought. Good luck with the DIY antenna...
                      Thanks brother.

Comment

• Originally posted by who View Post
                        Startomatic,

thks brother

Comment

• Originally posted by who View Post
                          Startomatic,

Please show a pic or two how it is done after you got them Startomatic.

Comment

Please show a pic or two how it is done after you got them Startomatic.
                            got my reference here

Comment

• Some designs go for normal 1/4W resistors instead.
                              Reason being its used as a fuse as they fail open. I don't think I've seen any failed closed before.
                              They are also cheap and easy to replace.

Startomatic, check your mail.
                              Last edited by who; 2014-07-11, 14:38.

Comment

new FR24 receiver:
                                F-WMKK2 - Kuala Lumpur International Airport, Malaysia.

Temporary radar code:
                                R658 - Spotted around Pekan area, Pahang, Malaysia. (?Might be F-WMKK2 if not all FR24 servers are updated. Will update when it becomes clearer)
                                Originally posted by Limpost View Post
                                F-WMBT1 spotted, this is under Pulau Tioman airfield.
                                R658-> F-WMBT1

2 receivers activated in Malaysia on the same day!

By the way I didn't know Pulau Tioman has an airport lol!
                                Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2014-07-13, 06:43.

Comment

Working...
                                X