X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saw this

Screenshot 2014-07-09 20.18.13.jpg

Comment

• was in JB city and woke up to 2 simultaneous thunderstorm this morning.

the first was Germany Vs Brazil score which had me almost fell off my bed. the other thunderstorm had me worried that my always on modem at home may be fried.

thanks god...all is fine when i returned home. just hope WMKJ1 did not suffer the thunderstorm.

Comment

• Originally posted by Limpost View Post
        Completed the second step. Now on waiting list. As you say its location and I am right under intersection of major airways.
        Antenna Coaxial cable input to dongle MCX.
        Perhaps you could be more specific on what connector is your antenna coaxial cable?
        F? IEC 61169-2 connector?

I'm trying to guide you where to purchase what you are looking for.

Comment

• Originally posted by startomatic View Post
          i have the import e permit receipt reference from sirim. with this, there is no reason why another feeder will faced with "no import allow" as i experienced.

for sensitivity reason, i shall not divulge my difficulties with sirim. but i did lodged an official complaint saying i wish to dealt with the officer on private basis. i get a call from the said officer later and the matter was amicably resolved with a clear message "sent".

all i can say is custom officer is very "supportive" when i showed him what the FR receiver is capable using my cell phone logged into FR24 website.

if anyone import via JB, i am quite sure the import procedure can be done within 1/2 a day.

give me a shout if anyone need help here.
          Ruth did say her friend had a hard time getting the receiver from the officials, I forgot is it Sirim or customs or both. Hope with your case now it can be done easier.

Originally posted by startomatic View Post
          saw this

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4371[/ATTACH]
          Happens time to time those spikes. Annoying. My fr24 receiver very rarely sometimes shows a spike of ground aircraft at KK at sea!

Originally posted by Mike View Post
          MLAT5 is still in beta testing mode.
          Thanks for the info Mike.

Comment

was in JB city and woke up to 2 simultaneous thunderstorm this morning.

the first was Germany Vs Brazil score which had me almost fell off my bed. the other thunderstorm had me worried that my always on modem at home may be fried.

thanks god...all is fine when i returned home. just hope WMKJ1 did not suffer the thunderstorm.
            What protection are you using now?
            Perhaps I could give some input?

Comment

• Power cut in KK so wbkk1&2 are down lol. Typical Sabah Electric Sentiasa blackout (SESB - Sabah Electric Sdn Bhd) - meaning Sabah always get blackouts haha.

Comment

• Originally posted by who View Post
                Perhaps you could be more specific on what connector is your antenna coaxial cable?
                F? IEC 61169-2 connector?

I'm trying to guide you where to purchase what you are looking for.
                Sorry I give confusing answer. I have long coax cable without connector for external antenna. Looking for MCX plug to solder on to it so that I can plug the cable to the dongle. I have now the tiny antenna with magnetic stand which came with the dongle set.
                The antenna input at the dongle require MCX plug? Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.
                Last edited by Limpost; 2014-07-09, 14:20.

Comment

Sorry I give confusing answer. I have long coax cable without connector for external antenna. Looking for MCX plug to solder on to it so that I can plug the cable to the dongle. I have now the tiny antenna with magnetic stand which came with the dongle set.
                  The antenna input at the dongle require MCX plug? Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.
                  If you're not going to use the tiny antenna that came with the dongle - you can cut the wire in half with scissors and put a plug on the cut end to suit.

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                    If you're not going to use the tiny antenna that came with the dongle - you can cut the wire in half with scissors and put a plug on the cut end to suit.
                    I kind of agree with peterhr here. MCX is quite small and your coax from your external antenna could be relatively large compared to the MCX male plug.
                    If you don't intend to cut the cable, you could do what i do.

Terminate your coax to F connector (those Astro connectors), strip the coax and just screw the plug in.
                    Purchase and use a pigtail like this, http://www.ebay.com/itm/271220031609

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                      Thanks Peter for the suggestion. It would be a waste to cut it as it would come in handy if I am mobile outdoors. Will look for a suitable pigtail Thanks.
                      Last edited by Limpost; 2014-07-09, 14:48.

Comment

Thanks Peter for the suggestion. It would be a waste to cut it as it would come in handy if I am mobile outdoors. Will look for a suitable pigtail Thanks.
                        Morning limpost, sorry I forgot to tell you to get a pigtail of some sort when ordering the dongle!

Comment

• Originally posted by who View Post
                          What protection are you using now?
                          Perhaps I could give some input?
                          my antenna feed is protected, so is 12 volts supplies. what is left is my ADSL line which is bare and unprotected. all suggestion will be appreciated.

i am not into those so claimed miracle device that cost an arm and leg though.

Comment

my antenna feed is protected, so is 12 volts supplies. what is left is my ADSL line which is bare and unprotected. all suggestion will be appreciated.

i am not into those so claimed miracle device that cost an arm and leg though.
                            I assume you are a DIY person judging by the posts I see here?

At the very basic, I would have a GDT and a MOV (both with the appropriate breakdown voltage, need to check what's the value. Can't recall at the moment but around 130-150V ish. Have to get back to you) across the pair of your incoming phone pair.

A better design would involve doubling the GDT and MOV with them grounded to a proper earth.

Think of it as a PSU with dual +ve and -ve rails with caps between the +ve rail with GND, and -ve with GND.
                            But instead of the caps, it's the GDT and MOV.

GDT - Gas Discharge Tube
                            MOV - Metal Oxide Varistor

Internally, the MOV does break down with the number of 'strikes' so you might need to replace them over time.

I wouldn't trust any products that doesn't have a connection to earth.
                            Last edited by who; 2014-07-10, 02:44.

Comment

• Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
                              Morning limpost, sorry I forgot to tell you to get a pigtail of some sort when ordering the dongle!
                              Hi NBR, no harm done. The learning process never ends. The indoor antenna is giving good service though limited in range. Working to put up a self made external antenna. With the tiny internal, I can hear aircraft calling "finals" at WMKD but not the tower.

Comment

• Limpost, give me your email address.
                                I should have an extra pigtail to spare.

Comment

Working...
                                X