Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by startomatic View Post
    Bro,

can i tumpang your journey. i have a RPi collecting dust at home. i could get a usb stick for the feeds. but i am not a linux person and if you could share me the script to run it would be great.

i have a 900Mhz omni which is longer than the stock FR antenna. i will try this out to see if the higher gain could off set the loss.

i have a pair 31dBi(i think) 1 m parabolic 900Mhz too which i use for back haul internet traffic to the farm 17km away.
    see thread http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...e-to-feed-FR24 ... most of the info is in post #8

We have a very long thread called 'Best Antenna' (needs the results split out by the authors) which discusses how to build high gain tuned antennas for pennies, but get the pi + dongle going first with the tiny antenna that comes with the dongle, then look to improve. When ordering the dongle, dont forget to order a pigtial or other adaptor to make the tiny MCX socket on the dongle able to connect to something else.

Comment

• thanks Peterhr for the tips. greatly appreciated it.

just need this to kick off the project.

Comment

Bro,

can i tumpang your journey. i have a RPi collecting dust at home. i could get a usb stick for the feeds. but i am not a linux person and if you could share me the script to run it would be great.

i have a 900Mhz omni which is longer than the stock FR antenna. i will try this out to see if the higher gain could off set the loss.

i have a pair 31dBi(i think) 1 m parabolic 900Mhz too which i use for back haul internet traffic to the farm 17km away.
        Startomatic,
        I'll be glad to help you out. Make sure you have a capable PSU for your RPi.
        Capable as in it has enough current capability. I always have good experience with all my extra Apple (originals) chargers.
        Don't skim on your PSU. I've seen/experience weird unexplained issues with the RPi and it was almost always due to poor PSU.

I'm interested to know on the results of those 900MHz antennas.
        I have some high gain omni, patch and yagi but for 2.4GHz.
        If you need pigtails for your dongle, I'll be glad to point you to some sellers which I have good experience with.

cheers!

Comment

• Hi Who,

both of you are angels!

i just ordered a DC to DC isolated adaptor that will give me 5Amp at 5 Volt. my primary DC is 12V from my solar systems.

interesting to see that you have all these 2.4G stuff. i am RB433 man. most of my projects are base on this board and i use UBQTi radios. some on 900Mhz, some 2.4G and 5.8G too.

will surely let you know once i switch the omni.

Comment

Hi Who,

both of you are angels!

i just ordered a DC to DC isolated adaptor that will give me 5Amp at 5 Volt. my primary DC is 12V from my solar systems.

interesting to see that you have all these 2.4G stuff. i am RB433 man. most of my projects are base on this board and i use UBQTi radios. some on 900Mhz, some 2.4G and 5.8G too.

will surely let you know once i switch the omni.
            We could always learn from each other.
            I've been trying to get my solar project started for a number of years.
            How many panels do you use and how many watts per panel?
            Which type of solar charge controller do you use?
            I intend to use DC-DC converters instead of linear regulators like 7805 (which you use?).
            These switching DC-DC should have way more efficiency than linear regulators.
            I have bought 5 of these so far. Input is up to 30V and output is variable (up to u).

And finally what type of storage are you using? I don't intend to use lead acid batts.
            I have something else in mind.

Comment

• hi Who,

mine is 130Watts x 2 but running on parallel 12v. i uses a cheap MPPT controller from Taiwan. for battery i uses 2 x 100AH AGM sealed battery.

drop me a note in at

swleesr dot gmail dot com

and i can share you the details of my systems.

BTW, the panel is affordable now. i paid less than 800 per panel but the battery is not!

Comment

• Power cut at my area of KK now. This solar power discussion is interesting, but sounds expensive. Where is a good place to read about setting up a solar power set up? How much would a set up normally costs? Say for running x2 ads-b receiver and the adsl router?

Comment

• Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
                  Power cut at my area of KK now. This solar power discussion is interesting, but sounds expensive. Where is a good place to read about setting up a solar power set up? How much would a set up normally costs? Say for running x2 ads-b receiver and the adsl router?
                  North Borneo,
                  How long does your power cuts normally last?
                  If it's not too long, I recommend buying UPS instead. APC are highly recommended.
                  I have 2 of them at home.

Comment

• Originally posted by who View Post
                    North Borneo,
                    If it's not too long, I recommend buying UPS instead. APC are highly recommended.
                    ... doesn't need a UPS - would run off a car battery that could be continuously connected to a mains charger , just needs a couple of power regulators to make the right volts for the equipment. The equipment could then be battery powered 24/7 as long as the charger can fill it faster than it drains.

Comment

• Solar backup

Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                      ... doesn't need a UPS - would run off a car battery that could be continuously connected to a mains charger , just needs a couple of power regulators to make the right volts for the equipment. The equipment could then be battery powered 24/7 as long as the charger can fill it faster than it drains.
                      guys, this is my solar systems;

P1020275.JPG

P1020276.JPG

i uses 2x130 W feeding 2 x 120AH AGM on 12 V.

it runs all my room electrical needs, except the AC. and the under voltage cut off had not been activated once.

i started with a 90W from this company but over the years, i upgraded the system gradually and had never look back.

and when everything failed, i have this backup

Starting Brutus. The diesel knock is quite dramatic but soon run smoothly once pick up speed. The funny noise as i crank it come from the resonance of the re...

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                        Hm... thanks for the suggestion but don't think I can place a car batter in my room... (if I get your meaning right?)

Originally posted by who View Post
                        North Borneo,
                        Yup.. perhaps I should start looking into this. Thanks!

Comment

guys, this is my solar systems;

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4338[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4339[/ATTACH]

i uses 2x130 W feeding 2 x 120AH AGM on 12 V.

it runs all my room electrical needs, except the AC. and the under voltage cut off had not been activated once.

i started with a 90W from this company but over the years, i upgraded the system gradually and had never look back.

and when everything failed, i have this backup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_FYtucIods

Wow... I havent seen such generators before lol! interesting! Let me have a look at solarpower mart and learn some solar stuffs. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• A standard low end UPS has 4 main components
                            * 12v batteries (car battery is an example) but typically it will be one or more 12v batteries in series, from 7Ah to maybe 17Ah)
                            * a charging circuit for the battery stack
                            * a regulating and monitoring circuit - watching the input power and doing spike supression
                            * an inverter so should the mains power fail, the inverter will supply power using the power stored in the battery.

In normal mode the charger just tops up the battery, and the load runs from the mains

but if all you want is to run low voltage devices like a router and the receiver - do you really need to have an inverter to lift the supply to mains voltage, then a power brick to convert it back.

All it needs is a the battery, a suitable charger, and some power regulators

12v 7AH battery - apx 12 USD

12v charger (ebay item 271501916473) 7 USD

12v -> 6v regulator - Apx 11USD

12v -> microusb regulator 4 USD (ebay 310847327341)

a new ups will start at $100 or more.

Just think outside the box.

(oh, and the 12v battery could run off a solar charger)

Comment

• guys, just placed my order today.

free shipping. had traded with this web site for the last 6 years. i am in no way related to this company.

Thank you for ordering from DX.com.
                              Your order has been successfully created and the transaction is being processed.
                              If the payment for your order was processed successfully, you can check your order status by clicking My Orders from your DX account.
                              You will receive a notification email from us once your transaction is confirmed.
                              Please confirm your order details and shipping address as below:
                              Item(s) Purchase Price Discount Gift Qty Qty LineTotalPrice
                              RTL2832U + R820T Mini DVB-T + DAB+ + FM USB Digital TV Dongle - Black-170541 US$ 12.22
                              DC-DC Converter Auto Step-Up Step-Down Solar Power Supply Module - Red-151576 US$ 7.39
                              Two-wire Voltmeter + 5V USB Charger / Power Supply Module - Deep Blue-306096 US$ 4.97
                              20891 DIY 5.5mm Plug Adapters - Black + Silver (10 PCS)-202294 US$ 2.50
                              GoodsTotal: US$27.08
                              ShippingFee Discount: US$1.70 ShippingFee: US$0.00
                              TotalAmount: US$28.78
                              Grand Total: US$27.08

Comment

• Peterhr,

i fully agree with you. i am basically a 12 volt man even though a 48V systems would have been efficient in one way but the conversion back to suitable working voltage negate it.

one thing though, the PC UPS generally produces modified sine wave which is not friendly to switching type power adapter. i use a true 1000W sine wave inverter occasionally to power up main operated equipment.

Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                                A standard low end UPS has 4 main components
                                * 12v batteries (car battery is an example) but typically it will be one or more 12v batteries in series, from 7Ah to maybe 17Ah)
                                * a charging circuit for the battery stack
                                * a regulating and monitoring circuit - watching the input power and doing spike supression
                                * an inverter so should the mains power fail, the inverter will supply power using the power stored in the battery.

In normal mode the charger just tops up the battery, and the load runs from the mains

but if all you want is to run low voltage devices like a router and the receiver - do you really need to have an inverter to lift the supply to mains voltage, then a power brick to convert it back.

All it needs is a the battery, a suitable charger, and some power regulators

12v 7AH battery - apx 12 USD

12v charger (ebay item 271501916473) 7 USD

12v -> 6v regulator - Apx 11USD

12v -> microusb regulator 4 USD (ebay 310847327341)

a new ups will start at $100 or more.

Just think outside the box.

(oh, and the 12v battery could run off a solar charger)

Comment

Working...
                                X