Malaysia Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by who View Post
    Ok. I'm leaving the place and heading back. Will elaborate more on my findings.
    alright, thanks for experimenting.

Comment

• Ok, here goes.

Realized i couldn't get much GND or low FL a/c signals likely due to the overwhelming signal strength. Bear in mind i was using a RTL dongle.

I was right next to taxing AirAsia (along the runway) and also a few of them taking off (was towards the end of the runway) and yet i couldn't get any of their signals.

Was using FR24's Beta5 feeder software (using it as basestation) and using VirtualRadar to check my signals. The software uses AGC on the dongle.
      But yet I could get signals for planes far away. (>100nm)

So that's my conclusion for now.

IMG_1640.JPGIMG_1663.JPG
      Last edited by who; 2014-06-29, 13:38.

Comment

• What your take on this?
        Most ground a/c don't transmit their positions?

rtl1090-140629.png

rtl1090-140629a.png

140629a.jpg
        Last edited by who; 2014-06-29, 14:24.

Comment

Ok, here goes.

Realized i couldn't get much GND signals likely due to the overwhelming signal strength. Bear in mind i was using a RTL dongle.

When I was right next to taxing AirAsia (along the runway) and also a few of them taking off (was towards the end of the runway) and yet i couldn't get any of their signals.

Was using FR24's Beta5 feeder software (using it as basestation) and using VirtualRadar to check my signals. The software uses AGC on the dongle.
          But yet I could get signals for planes far away. (>100nm)

So that's my conclusion for now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4329[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4330[/ATTACH]
          Time to consider a... mode s beast? Well, if only you are willing to splash some cash. By the way, have you done stage 2 of your FR24 application?

If you have run adsb# probably you have a better idea of how well RTL1090 can show ground traffic? But with FR24's own software it should be accurate enough... I am a bit puzzled why it didn't show.
          Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2014-06-29, 13:44.

Comment

• Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
            Time to consider a... mode s beast? Well, if only you are willing to splash some cash. By the way, have you done stage 2 of your FR24 application?
            I'm not so keen to splash my dough on the beast. This is not my main hobby. :P
            Took some more additional pix earlier today (before the KLIA trip) for the stage 2 application.

If you have run adsb# probably you have a better idea of how well RTL1090 can show ground traffic? But with FR24's own software it should be accurate enough... I am a bit puzzled why it didn't show.
            Neither do I.
            So what I've learned from today, I wouldn't be so fussy trying to get more Ground signals with this setup.
            Seems to be better further away, like now, in the office, antenna on the table, I occasionally get one or 2 ground signals on 14L onwards to a part of the satellite terminal.

Will be watching both games tonight.

Comment

Ok, here goes.

Realized i couldn't get much GND or low FL a/c signals likely due to the overwhelming signal strength. Bear in mind i was using a RTL dongle.

I was right next to taxing AirAsia (along the runway) and also a few of them taking off (was towards the end of the runway) and yet i couldn't get any of their signals.
              Try unplugging the antenna *shrug*

Comment

• hye guys... newbie here.. reporting that F-WMKI2 is now activated at my base station in bukit chandan, kuala kangsar, perak..

10497125_10202715455350960_7606943156787766118_o.jpg
                ----. -- ..--- ... --. -.

Comment

• Originally posted by 9m2sgn View Post
                  hye guys... newbie here.. reporting that F-WMKI2 is now activated at my base station in bukit chandan, kuala kangsar, perak..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4334[/ATTACH]
                  Hiya 9m2sgn welcome to the forum and this thread! One of the lucky ones to host the FR24 receiver. One of Ruth's friends I guess? Hope you enjoy ads-b spotting and also helping with MLAT to FR24. 73.

Comment

I'm not so keen to splash my dough on the beast. This is not my main hobby. :P
                    Took some more additional pix earlier today (before the KLIA trip) for the stage 2 application.

Neither do I.
                    So what I've learned from today, I wouldn't be so fussy trying to get more Ground signals with this setup.
                    Seems to be better further away, like now, in the office, antenna on the table, I occasionally get one or 2 ground signals on 14L onwards to a part of the satellite terminal.

Will be watching both games tonight.
                    Good games last night? The Netherlands vs Mexico one looks good, I only watched the highlights.

Perhaps the limitation is the dongle. As if there is strong signals it does tend to go deaf. When I used my setup with the dongle it seems to work ok, able to receive ground traffic and the surrounding aircrafts with no doughnut effect. But I only use it for about half an hour. I prefer to use my beast.

Fair enough about not getting your own ads-b equipment. With the shipment of fr24 receivers now back to normal maybe they will start looking into 2nd stage applications at their usual pace. Good luck!
                    Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2014-06-30, 08:27. Reason: Typo

Comment

• MLAT over Malaysia is improving.

Comment

• Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
                        Hiya 9m2sgn welcome to the forum and this thread! One of the lucky ones to host the FR24 receiver. One of Ruth's friends I guess? Hope you enjoy ads-b spotting and also helping with MLAT to FR24. 73.
                        tq sir.. by the way my name shah.. still new and still collecting information and new knowledge from elmers.. one of them is ruth and im so lucky that my application to host had been approved.. thanks for warm welcome and im still digging into this forum for more information..
                        ----. -- ..--- ... --. -.

Comment

• Mike, was your screenshot has filters just for MLAT a/c?
                          Didn't know there was an option for that. Maybe I should look harder!

Comment

• You can use the "Radar" Filter to show only MLAT on the screen.
                            Go to Filters on the left side menu> Select 'Radar'> on the Radar drop down list. Find the MLAT# (T-MLAT,T-MLAT2,T-MLAT3,T-MLAT4,T-MLAT5),etc.
                            Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
                            [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                              Hi Mike,

MLAT is surely showing some aircrafts nowadays. Some ATR 72-500 of Firefly Airline. Most of the FR24 boxes are going to the West Coast region, latest being WMKJ2 & WMKI2. Any plans to cover the East coast region towards South China Sea? You have WMKC1 in the North and WMKJ1 & 2 for Southern region. What about one in the Central region at WMKD?. I did apply to host. Thanks.

Comment

• guys,

F-WMKJ2 reporting in. location is Kluang, Johore.

base was set up about a week ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X