• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-WMKJ1 activated!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ruth View Post
      F-WMKJ1 activated!
      Good spot Ruth. One of your ham radio friends? Ground traffic for Senai Airport now and range looks good. Happy days. Still got 2 more receivers for Malaysia to be activated.

Perhaps one more receiver around Kuantan/Pahang area and if F-WMKC1 can go online full
      time MLAT at peninsular Malaysia and Southern Thailand should be feasible. Hopefully the internet speed is fast enough to support MLAT.
      Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2014-05-27, 12:15.

Comment

• Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
        Good spot Ruth. One of your ham radio friends? Ground traffic for Senai Airport now and range looks good. Happy days. Still got 2 more receivers for Malaysia to be activated.

Perhaps one more receiver around Kuantan/Pahang area and if F-WMKC1 can go online full
        time MLAT at peninsular Malaysia and Southern Thailand should be feasible. Hopefully the internet speed is fast enough to support MLAT.
        yes indeed of of ham radio operator, after struggling with the customs and SIRIM.

Comment

• We will make a MLAT test in Malaysia later this week.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ruth View Post
            yes indeed of of ham radio operator, after struggling with the customs and SIRIM.
            SIRIM was straightforward I find. Customs is more like a luck thing. I took me 2 weeks however to get it sorted. Hope he/she is pleased now all is up and running. Thanks for getting him/her on board FR24!

I hope there will be a receiver going to Miri... We shall see with time.

Originally posted by Mike View Post
            We will make a MLAT test in Malaysia later this week.
            Thanks Mike for the info...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
              We will make a MLAT test in Malaysia later this week.
              Will this test be on the public FR24 or on the non public FR24 test page
              Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
              [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

There has been no news from FR24 after I submitted photo's whatnot. With KJ online in the south and KC in the north, it would be good to have KD in the middle and cover the East Coast of Pen. Malaysia.

Comment

• WMKK10 & WMSA18 reporting in.
                  Just got both setup a day ago.

Trying to get my WMKK10 to reach more outdoors. Currently it's very indoor.
                  Pickup up weak signals. Will try to cover KLIA better.
                  Last edited by who; 2014-05-28, 04:22.

Comment

• Originally posted by who View Post
                    WMKK10 & WMSA18 reporting in.

Welcome aboard. Hope you are near to Sepang so that can cover KLIA down to low level. The antenna has to outdoors and as high as possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Limpost View Post
                      There has been no news from FR24 after I submitted photo's whatnot. With KJ online in the south and KC in the north, it would be good to have KD in the middle and cover the East Coast of Pen. Malaysia.
                      It does take time. Can only be patient. The fact they asked for more info and photos is normally a good sign. I do think a receiver around your area will help MLAT.

F-WMKJ1 has good range. I think if F-WSSS1 is down F-WMKJ1 can cover it quite well, except at the extremities. I think F-WSSS1 can also be activated for MLAT, might help the northern region north of WSSS.

Originally posted by who View Post
                      WMKK10 & WMSA18 reporting in.

Originally posted by Limpost View Post
                      Welcome aboard. Hope you are near to Sepang so that can cover KLIA down to low level. The antenna has to outdoors and as high as possible.
                      Hello! Perhaps yours is a DVB-T receiver and you are using the stock antenna for now? Perhaps you can DIY a collinear or if you are willing you can buy a dedicated ads-b antenna. As per Limpost having it outdoors and clear of obstruction is key to get good reception. By the way, there are 3 FR24 receivers at that area, so don't expect your radarcode will show. Just because your radarcode doesn't show up doesn't mean you are not contributing. You get to see your own local traffic real time and you get a premium account!
                      Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2014-05-28, 12:05. Reason: grammar

Comment

Hello! Perhaps yours is a DVB-T receiver and you are using the stock antenna for now? Perhaps you can DIY a collinear or if you are willing you can buy a dedicated ads-b antenna. As per Limpost having it outdoors and clear of obstruction is key to get good reception. By the way, there are 3 FR24 receivers at that area, so don't expect your radarcode will show. Just because your radarcode doesn't show up doesn't mean you are not contributing. You get to see your own local traffic real time and you get a premium account!
                        Hi,
                        Yeah, I'm using DVB-T and stock antenna at the moment. Trying to figure out cable routing to outdoors. Will take a few days to few weeks to sort that out.
                        My aim is to get better low level coverage of WMKK.
                        Already have the DIY collinear in mind. I still have like a few hundred feet of coax. Anyone has any tips/hints/advise on that?

Also, for those with outdoor antennas, aren't you guys/gals afraid of lightning? Do you all have lightning protection for it?

Don't worry, i'm not so concern about my radarcode not showing up (although I've seen it a couple of times for both of them).
                        I'm happy enough with the premium account.
                        Last edited by who; 2014-05-28, 15:43.

Comment

Hi,
                          Yeah, I'm using DVB-T and stock antenna at the moment. Trying to figure out cable routing to outdoors. Will take a few days to few weeks to sort that out.
                          My aim is to get better low level coverage of WMKK.
                          Already have the DIY collinear in mind. I still have like a few hundred feet of coax. Anyone has any tips/hints/advise on that?

Also, for those with outdoor antennas, aren't you guys/gals afraid of lightning? Do you all have lightning protection for it?

Don't worry, i'm not so concern about my radarcode not showing up (although I've seen it a couple of times for both of them).
                          I'm happy enough with the premium account.
                          What coax do you have? few hundred feet? that's a lot!

Let me have a search of DIY antennas later. I have turtle speed internet now. A collinear antenna like this would be ideal, link http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ll=1#post52303 . That thread is very technical I will have a search later for something more straightforward i.e. how to build one if I have time. I remember there is one on youtube showing how to make a collinear antenna, you can have a search there.

Oh Lightning... this is a grey area. It is up to you if you want to use lightning protection or not. A lightning protection would not save your equipment however if it is a direct hit. The question for you to answer is does lightning affects your electrical stuffs at home? If not maybe you don't need one. However, being in KL 3 weeks ago I can see how much more lightning KL has compared to KK. The thunderstorms really are thunderstorms. You need to ground the wire if you use lightning protection, and ideally in a straight line. For me what I do is just loop my coax cables. It is up to you whether you want to have one. Perhaps Ruth & Co could share their thoughts into this matter.
                          Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2014-05-29, 04:54.

Comment

What coax do you have? few hundred feet? that's a lot!

Let me have a search of DIY antennas later. I have turtle speed internet now. A collinear antenna like this would be ideal, link http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ll=1#post52303 . That thread is very technical I will have a search later for something more straightforward i.e. how to build one if I have time. I remember there is one on youtube showing how to make a collinear antenna, you can have a search there.
                            Nothing fancy, just Belden coax i use for the satellite. More than sufficient bandwidth / low'ish loss at 1090MHz.
                            Thanks for the link. I agreed it's one of the better (if not the best!) explaining how the collinear works.
                            Don't worry about being technical with me. I understood the diagram in a single glance. :O
                            I learned Smith charts at college/uni.

At this point of time, I should be following this, http://www.balarad.net/

Oh Lightning... this is a grey area. It is up to you if you want to use lightning protection or not. A lightning protection would not save your equipment however if it is a direct hit. The question for you to answer is does lightning affects your electrical stuffs at home? If not maybe you don't need one. However, being in KL 3 weeks ago I can see how much more lightning KL has compared to KK. The thunderstorms really are thunderstorms. You need to ground the wire if you use lightning protection, and ideally in a straight line. For me what I do is just loop my coax cables. It is up to you whether you want to have one. Perhaps Ruth & Co could share their thoughts into this matter.
                            As for protection at home, i should have enough for my needs at the moment, isolation transformers, UPS, etc.
                            Problem is the one near to WMKK is my work place. A bit afraid to bring the antenna outdoors. Would like to see how the rest here does their protection before deciding what to do.

Comment

Nothing fancy, just Belden coax i use for the satellite. More than sufficient bandwidth / low'ish loss at 1090MHz.
                              Thanks for the link. I agreed it's one of the better (if not the best!) explaining how the collinear works.
                              Don't worry about being technical with me. I understood the diagram in a single glance. :O
                              I learned Smith charts at college/uni.

At this point of time, I should be following this, http://www.balarad.net/

As for protection at home, i should have enough for my needs at the moment, isolation transformers, UPS, etc.
                              Problem is the one near to WMKK is my work place. A bit afraid to bring the antenna outdoors. Would like to see how the rest here does their protection before deciding what to do.
                              Yes 75 ohm satellite cables are fine to use to for ads-b eventhough there is a mismatch. I am sure you know more about the technical stuffs than me. Actually it is me who finds that Best Antenna thread very technical. The balarad is a good reference for DIY collinear. Hopefully others will chip in to share their thoughts on lightning protection. If you are looking at a decent antenna outdoors you can have a look at this: http://h2204566.stratoserver.net/Sma...s-for-1090-mhz (the cheaper version.. of course)

Comment

Yes 75 ohm satellite cables are fine to use to for ads-b eventhough there is a mismatch. I am sure you know more about the technical stuffs than me. Actually it is me who finds that Best Antenna thread very technical. The balarad is a good reference for DIY collinear. Hopefully others will chip in to share their thoughts on lightning protection. If you are looking at a decent antenna outdoors you can have a look at this: http://h2204566.stratoserver.net/Sma...s-for-1090-mhz (the cheaper version.. of course)
                                North Borneo,
                                Please don't say I know more technical stuffs than yourself.
                                I hardly know you yet so its not fair to gauge/judge each other.
                                I'm the newbie here so i'm just a passenger, you're the captain!

Comment

Working...
                                X