Malaysia Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peterhr View Post
    The only reason I can think of that you might want a directional antenna - like a yagi - for ADSB is to reject signals from a different direction. An omnidirectional antenna will reach over 350km even on a dongle.

The antenna that comes with the dongle will do 100km+ ... though this is all dependent on how high up it is, as with any antenna.
    You mean for the atc voice or?

Comment

Originally posted by alexsiong29 View Post
      You mean for the atc voice or?
      We're talking about adsb aren't we?

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Comment

The only reason I can think of that you might want a directional antenna - like a yagi - for ADSB is to reject signals from a different direction. An omnidirectional antenna will reach over 350km even on a dongle.

The antenna that comes with the dongle will do 100km+ ... though this is all dependent on how high up it is, as with any antenna.
        Hi peterhr,

In my earlier days the R820T has not appeared (it did after 2-3 months after my purchase) and after my research I got a 2 channel beast as I wanted an omni to cover the overall and then a yagi to point to the direction of my local airport to cover ground as I thought the omni might not cover it. It was better than I expect when the omni could cover ground traffic. At that time it was only a PCB antenna and at a particular direction and range only 1 blip would appear in PP and I knew there is a airway there after looking at skyvector so I constructed a yagi to cover that particular direction. It worked well except when it rained and then I saved enough to changed to the antenna set up as of now. There are users who use a 4 channel beast with 4 yagis, in order to reduce FRUIT.
        Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2014-04-24, 02:08.

Comment

Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
          right antenna is to listen to air band. I only use it when I got time... and runs it on sdr sharp to listen.

Well for my antenna set up I spent quite a significant amount of money on it. Range for KL<->KK routes seems to have reduced at the moment, which I am not too happy about. I might have to change back to my old set up. What an expensive failure.
          Brother North Borneo,

Notice there is some confusion regarding alexsiong29 message. He was actually asking about ATC VHF tower frequency monitoring equipment. What receiver are you using? Not ADSB FR24 receiver.

Comment

Originally posted by alexsiong29 View Post
            wow that great....
            i was planning to get a Dongle as well.
            how much u get ur dongle?
            can i hv a pic of it?
            is the GPS of FR24 water proof?
            Hi Alex,

Please see this:
            The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.

I bought mine from Andy at 1090mhz.com but you can just google it and there will be plenty of choices for you to choose from, especially maybe from China.

Set up is the same you need to install zadig. Then you download sdr sharp from here: http://sdrsharp.com/ and choose RTL-SDR/ USB input to get going
            Originally posted by Limpost View Post
            Brother North Borneo,

Notice there is some confusion regarding alexsiong29 message. He was actually asking about ATC VHF tower frequency monitoring equipment. What receiver are you using? Not ADSB FR24 receiver.
            Hello Limpost,

Ya I did reply aboutwhat I use to listen to air band. No fancy scanner at the moment as it is not available in Malaysia. It is the DVB-T dongle R820T. It has a wide frequency range so able to tune to airband/adsb and it is cheap and easy to get.

Comment

We're talking about adsb aren't we?

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk
              i was asking for the DIY airband antenna..

Comment

Originally posted by Limpost View Post
                Brother North Borneo,

sorry for the misunderstanding....
                i was asking for the airband receiver and antenna,,,
                now ald learn about the dongle thing.
                another thing is want to DIY an airband antenna.

Comment

Hello Limpost,

Ya I did reply aboutwhat I use to listen to air band. No fancy scanner at the moment as it is not available in Malaysia. It is the DVB-T dongle R820T. It has a wide frequency range so able to tune to airband/adsb and it is cheap and easy to get.
                  ya. thx for the dongle info.
                  now just want to know how to DIY a airband antenna.

Comment

On the last pages there has been several questions about installation of FR24 equipment. All hosts who received a FR24 receiver, also received an PDF on their email with information about the equipment and how to install it. I strongly suggest to read this information!

Comment

Yes Mike in all fairness I have read it. If you have no concerns then it is ok.

Comment

Originally posted by 1090 MHz View Post
                        Best and easy to make for less then $10 a 1/4 wave Ground Plane antenna.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3956[/ATTACH]

See these HAM links for more info:

2 meter ground plane antenna, 2m antenna, 2 meter antenna, ground plane, pvc support, field day,

Now you're going to want to center it around 122 MHz for the VHF Air Band so use this calculator: http://www.wavelengthcalculator.com if you want to tune it to a specific frequency like the Tower.

Take the wavelength and divide by 4 to get the 1/4 wave of which is what you cut the radials length.

122MHz = 152.69mm for the 1/4 wave.
                        Hope you start to figure out how to make one then alex.

Comment

Hope you start to figure out how to make one then alex.
                          thx for the great info.
                          i ald refer from a guys from utube.

this is the way to calculate the antenna for 1/4 with ground plane.

234/126mhz = 1.857 feet X 12 = 22.28 inch is the length for each.
                          need 5 pcs.
                          planning to use brass rod.
                          will order the dongle from china then can start the DIY job ald.
                          hope can get signal from tower..

Comment

I made this one. Works great with dongle
                            You have calculator below the image,just enter the freq.
                            Last edited by Amper; 2014-04-25, 06:58.
                            For official support use Contact Form

Comment

Originally posted by Amper View Post
                              I made this one. Works great with dongle
                              You have calculator below the image,just enter the freq.
                              is it calculate the center freq?

Comment

yes, i used 124.000 as center
                                For official support use Contact Form

Comment

Working...
                                X