Malaysia Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
    Hmmm... you can try build one yourself if you fancy? http://forums.radioreference.com/bui...d-antenna.html has the reference available. see post 13 for measurements.

It looks like this [ATTACH=CONFIG]3931[/ATTACH]

I used to use F5ANN's PCB antenna to receive air band too ( can also use for ADS-B) so long you are close to the airport/trasmitter then you should be able to listen to it. I still have it with me, if you are interested let me know.

You can search around the internet for air band antennas too... but normally it is the shipping that will cost more for the antenna, just like in my case.
    will the antenna attract the lightning strike?
    which receiver u are using?

Comment

Originally posted by alexsiong29 View Post
      will the antenna attract the lightning strike?
      which receiver u are using?
      Well, I don't think so. At my area there's no problem with lightning to electrical/electronic stuffs so I don't worry too much about that. Obviously can hear static when lightning when I listen on sdr sharp.

You mean ads-b receiver? I have a mode s beast and the FR24 receiver. Mode s beast runs to a beagle bone black so can run independently without PC and feed to FR24 via their linux software.

On another note, the FR24 provided antenna is good. I stuck it on my window with the provided 10m H155 cable, and it can reach 250nm at my south west direction, normally my best range, the same result with my high gain + amplifier set up!
      Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2014-04-22, 10:28.

Comment

Well, I don't think so. At my area there's no problem with lightning to electrical/electronic stuffs so I don't worry too much about that. Obviously can hear static when lightning when I listen on sdr sharp.

You mean ads-b receiver? I have a mode s beast and the FR24 receiver. Mode s beast runs to a beagle bone black so can run independently without PC and feed to FR24 via their linux software.

On another note, the FR24 provided antenna is good. I stuck it on my window with the provided 10m H155 cable, and it can reach 250nm at my south west direction, normally my best range, the same result with my high gain + amplifier set up!
        i mean for the atc receiver....

Comment

i mean for the atc receiver....
          Nothing fancy - just a R820T dongle running with sdr sharp software.

Comment

Nothing fancy - just a R820T dongle running with sdr sharp software.
            wow that great....
            i was planning to get a Dongle as well.
            how much u get ur dongle?
            can i hv a pic of it?
            is the GPS of FR24 water proof?

Comment

wow that great....
              i was planning to get a Dongle as well.
              how much u get ur dongle?
              can i hv a pic of it?
              Hi Alex,

Please see this:
              The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.

I bought mine from Andy at 1090mhz.com but you can just google it and there will be plenty of choices for you to choose from, especially maybe from China.

Set up is the same you need to install zadig. Then you download sdr sharp from here: http://sdrsharp.com/ and choose RTL-SDR/ USB input to get going
              Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2014-04-23, 07:07.

Comment

Yes, more or less... Maybe not water proff but rain proof

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  Yes, more or less... Maybe not water proff but rain proof
                  then can i put it together with the antenna?
                  but the wire are too short...
                  currently put under roof.

Comment

Hi Alex,

Please see this:
                    The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.

I bought mine from Andy at 1090mhz.com but you can just google it and there will be plenty of choices for you to choose from, especially maybe from China.

Set up is the same you need to install zadig. Then you download sdr sharp from here: http://sdrsharp.com/ and choose RTL-SDR/ USB input to get going
                    okay...
                    now was thinking for DIY a airband antenna , but not sure which to go for.
                    i saw some ppl can hear airband with that dongle antenna which come in the package.

Comment

okay...
                      now was thinking for DIY a airband antenna , but not sure which to go for.
                      i saw some ppl can hear airband with that dongle antenna which come in the package.
                      Hmm.... unless you are close to airport then the dongle antenna should be fine. If not you need an antenna outside to help you receive the signal. You can try with the dongle antenna first of course and experiment around.

then can i put it together with the antenna?
                      but the wire are too short...
                      currently put under roof.
                      For me the GPS antenna is with close to the antenna just not the same height. By the way, does your GPS LED blinks red time to time? Like sometimes after 10 seconds then maybe once a few minute? Or does your just blink greeen all the time? I notice mine goes red time to time, sometimes in like 10-20 seconds it goes red once, or sometimes a few minutes it blinks red once. I moved the antenna a bit( only 10cm or less due to the way it is wired) but still seems to not change this pattern.

Comment

Hmm.... unless you are close to airport then the dongle antenna should be fine. If not you need an antenna outside to help you receive the signal. You can try with the dongle antenna first of course and experiment around.

For me the GPS antenna is with close to the antenna just not the same height. By the way, does your GPS LED blinks red time to time? Like sometimes after 10 seconds then maybe once a few minute? Or does your just blink greeen all the time? I notice mine goes red time to time, sometimes in like 10-20 seconds it goes red once, or sometimes a few minutes it blinks red once. I moved the antenna a bit( only 10cm or less due to the way it is wired) but still seems to not change this pattern.
                        mine is blinking green bout 30-60 sec then blink red once... i think this is normal?
                        well then GPS cable is not long enough to get with the antenna.
                        would it able to receive voice if the is 40km airport southeast from my location?
                        was planning to receive the WMKP tower.
                        if there a easy way for me to ask u bout the DIY airband antenna?

Comment

mine is blinking green bout 30-60 sec then blink red once... i think this is normal?
                          well then GPS cable is not long enough to get with the antenna.
                          would it able to receive voice if the is 40km airport southeast from my location?
                          was planning to receive the WMKP tower.
                          if there a easy way for me to ask u bout the DIY airband antenna?
                          it doesn't need to be near the antenna. So long it has a good view of the sky it is ok. The GPS is used for timing, to timestamp the received data, it is critical. The GPS is not to help locate the position of the antenna, which most people including me initially thought.

Oh ok yours does that too so I think it's normal then. I wonder why my T-WBKK4 radarcode still shows up eventhough the F-WBKK2 is on. Weird. It shouldn't.

DIY airband? hmm... the 1 I posted seems to be the easiest to make. What do you want to know? I did not make one my own, but I did build a yagi antenna a year + ago for ads-b. If it is 40km and you know the direction of the transmitter maybe you can try out a yagi with the yagi calculator. But I am sure Ruth/Bonar/limpost who knows about HAM/ATC could give more insight to you?
                          Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2014-04-23, 15:19.

Comment

it doesn't need to be near the antenna. So long it has a good view of the sky it is ok. The GPS is used for timing, to timestamp the received data, it is critical. The GPS is not to help locate the position of the antenna, which most people including me initially thought.

Oh ok yours does that too so I think it's normal then. I wonder why my T-WBKK4 radarcode still shows up eventhough the F-WBKK2 is on. Weird. It shouldn't.

DIY airband? hmm... the 1 I posted seems to be the easiest to make. What do you want to know? I did not make one my own, but I did build a yagi antenna a year + ago for ads-b. If it is 40km and you know the direction of the transmitter maybe you can try out a yagi with the yagi calculator. But I am sure Ruth/Bonar/limpost who knows about HAM/ATC could give more insight to you?
                            urs is made from copper wire right?
                            are they from FR24 as well?
                            sure the antenna come with dongle wont able to get signal 40km away i think...
                            if i able to get the signal from WMKP tower, mayb i will feed to liveatc.

Comment

urs is made from copper wire right?
                              are they from FR24 as well?
                              sure the antenna come with dongle wont able to get signal 40km away i think...
                              if i able to get the signal from WMKP tower, mayb i will feed to liveatc.
                              No No... I bought mine. As I wanted something solid for years.

In the link for that DIY air band I think they advised to use welding rods/ house wiring-> meaning copper wire then but it needs to be quite thick.

Comment

The only reason I can think of that you might want a directional antenna - like a yagi - for ADSB is to reject signals from a different direction. An omnidirectional antenna will reach over 350km even on a dongle.

The antenna that comes with the dongle will do 100km+ ... though this is all dependent on how high up it is, as with any antenna.

Comment

Working...
                                X