Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Malaysia Radar

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by startomatic View Post
    guys,

    F-WMKJ2 reporting in. location is Kluang, Johore.

    base was set up about a week ago.
    Welcome startomatic! Thanks for setting things up. Hopefully customs didn't give you a lot of grief. Quite a few of F-feeders here now great! Hope to hear from the veterans like T-WMKP1-3 and T-WMKN1 drop by and say hello!

    Originally posted by 9m2sgn View Post
    tq sir.. by the way my name shah.. still new and still collecting information and new knowledge from elmers.. one of them is ruth and im so lucky that my application to host had been approved.. thanks for warm welcome and im still digging into this forum for more information..
    Hi Shah! Plenty to read up indeed here in the forum. Take you time! Some sections like FAQ are a bit old and needs updating. I am sure Ruth will give you pointers too hehe.
    Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2014-06-30, 13:34.

    Comment


    • thanks for the welcome greeting. Custom in Larkin JB was superb. they help me to get the permit done. i was actually being passed around like a ball and finally when the answer is "no" to the importation; i called the gentleman in Custom whom then spoke to Sirim chap. the permit was done in less than 15 mins!

      F-WMKJ1 is over shadowing me completely. my antenna is about 80m ASL. sharing the TV antenna mast but about 2 m away off the mast using a horizontal support.

      just wondering a high gain 900Mhz antenna would help. any tippers?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by startomatic View Post
        thanks for the welcome greeting. Custom in Larkin JB was superb. they help me to get the permit done. i was actually being passed around like a ball and finally when the answer is "no" to the importation; i called the gentleman in Custom whom then spoke to Sirim chap. the permit was done in less than 15 mins!

        F-WMKJ1 is over shadowing me completely. my antenna is about 80m ASL. sharing the TV antenna mast but about 2 m away off the mast using a horizontal support.

        just wondering a high gain 900Mhz antenna would help. any tippers?
        Oh wow, that's quite refreshing to hear and yeah, being passed around is such a common phrase heard. But good that they helped you to get things sorted. well done to the JB customs!

        I think you don't need to worry about your radarcode not showing. I do see WMKJ2 at the Sumatra around Pekan Baru Region. The stats page will give you an idea of what you are receiving, and if you use something like Radar View(free)/Plane Plotter(pay)/virtual radar server(free) to see your local traffic it is quite satisfying (for me anyway) as it is almost real time. It depends on what intention you are after-ing for to get a high gain 1090mhz antenna. Coverage? Radarcode? If for coverage there is not guarantee at all getting a high gain antenna will show your radarcode more, and I am afraid you will feel disappointed in spending quite a bit and not gaining much. So perhaps just take your time to see what you are getting from your setup. If it is a good 360 degree from your polar chart I did be very happy. A typical range for ADS-B reception is about 200nm. You can try use www.heywhatsthat.com to estimate what you can get from you area.

        And also don't forget, one way another your receiver is assisting with MLAT. So there is a lot at the background going on, locating a/c not fitted with ADS-B, commercial ones mainly. But I don't see them often at the moment.
        Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2014-06-30, 14:02.

        Comment


        • Flightradar24.com Live flight tracker1 .png
          new radar? T-EST1?

          Comment


          • Hi Captain,

            i am fascinated by anything that fly. so this get me going as a feeder. was using FL in the past for monitoring AC arrival for picking up passenger but since the MH370 incident, i wish to do more.

            my set up is probably one of the few fully powered by solar. i am on 12V so it use a LM7805 chip to step it down. my modem etc is all on 12V.

            good to meet you guys here.

            Comment


            • Hi Startomatic, very good idea on running on solar. BTW, F-WMKJ1 ( hosted by my friend) also located in Kulaijaya, maybe someday you guys can hang out together.
              And, for those who would like to join the Malaysian FR24 Facebook Group, try adding me (Weerut Srhidhara). A small group (local peoples) another option for sharing.
              Thank you!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by 9m2sgn View Post
                hye guys... newbie here.. reporting that F-WMKI2 is now activated at my base station in bukit chandan, kuala kangsar, perak..

                [ATTACH=CONFIG]4334[/ATTACH]
                Welcome!!!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by SoCalBrian View Post
                  You can use the "Radar" Filter to show only MLAT on the screen.
                  Go to Filters on the left side menu> Select 'Radar'> on the Radar drop down list. Find the MLAT# (T-MLAT,T-MLAT2,T-MLAT3,T-MLAT4,T-MLAT5),etc.
                  Thanks for explaining how to do this!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Ruth View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]4337[/ATTACH]
                    new radar? T-EST1?
                    Morning Ruth,

                    It is basically an estimation of aircraft position from the last radar contact. Goes on for about 5-10mins. In a way it shows where coverage is lacking.

                    You can also have a look at this link:
                    http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ghlight=t-est1

                    Comment


                    • Just got my fr24feed_arm-rpi_242 and dump1090 running on my RPi at home.
                      Will also set up a similar setup at work.

                      Next up, make some antennas, currently still using stock DVB-T antenna.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by who View Post
                        Just got my fr24feed_arm-rpi_242 and dump1090 running on my RPi at home.
                        Will also set up a similar setup at work.

                        Next up, make some antennas, currently still using stock DVB-T antenna.
                        Its a green and economical way to feed with RPI or any other ARM computers to FR24. For me the best thing is after there is a power cut and when power is restored it kicks in and continues feeding. One less thing to worry if I am away from home.

                        Do please show us pictures of your antenna after you made it and let us know how it performs. Cheers

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by who View Post
                          Just got my fr24feed_arm-rpi_242 and dump1090 running on my RPi at home.
                          Will also set up a similar setup at work.

                          Next up, make some antennas, currently still using stock DVB-T antenna.
                          I'm using the Bulgarian antenna mentioned in my footer - I'm well pleased with it

                          (if buying this from ebay, go for the minimum auction price - there is usually no competition and if there is, there will be another in a few days)
                          Last edited by peterhr; 2014-07-01, 13:43.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                            I'm using the Bulgarian antenna mentioned in my footer - I'm well pleased with it

                            (if buying this from ebay, go for the minimum auction price - there is usually no competition and if there is, there will be another in a few days)
                            Peterhr,
                            Thanks for the recommendation. It's been on my watch list since i got started on this ADS-B interest.
                            But i'll prefer to make some and learn along the way. It's the journey that matters.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
                              Its a green and economical way to feed with RPI or any other ARM computers to FR24. For me the best thing is after there is a power cut and when power is restored it kicks in and continues feeding. One less thing to worry if I am away from home.

                              Do please show us pictures of your antenna after you made it and let us know how it performs. Cheers
                              That's the whole idea. I'm quite a energy conservative person.
                              Anyway work is still in progress at my work place. I've already pulled additional 96ft of UTP above ceiling (2 weeks back) towards the edge of the building which has a good view of the flight path (approach to 14L).

                              Here's my plan for now.

                              PoE switch -> over 150ft of UTP -> PoE Splitter -> RPi -> R820T Dongle -> Antenna.

                              Outstanding things to make, need to make the power cable from the PoE splitter to the RPi and of course the antenna.
                              I will start with the simple half wave dipole, test for maybe a week or two and then a 4 element Franklin dipole and compare results.

                              Remember, I'm here for the journey.

                              Comment


                              • Bro,

                                can i tumpang your journey. i have a RPi collecting dust at home. i could get a usb stick for the feeds. but i am not a linux person and if you could share me the script to run it would be great.

                                i have a 900Mhz omni which is longer than the stock FR antenna. i will try this out to see if the higher gain could off set the loss.

                                i have a pair 31dBi(i think) 1 m parabolic 900Mhz too which i use for back haul internet traffic to the farm 17km away.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X