No announcement yet.

Malaysia Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here are the stats for the FR24 receiver in WBKK. Stats of course will vary and you have to interpret it with care...

The pictures posted earlier wasn't clear so I redo it again.

kk2 1.jpg

kk2 2.jpg

For my own setup average a/c is about 280, ranging from 250-330. Positions reported is about 58k. I don't really know about message rate as I don't keep an eye on that. These rough figures I got it from another flight tracking service.

There is no PM in this forum but hopefully you can get acquainted with WMKK1 and WMSA1-3 so you can have an idea of what stats they have. I believe it is >1000 a/c a day there. And hope you have good news after #2 of the receiver application process.

Liking WMKJ1 and WRBB1's coverage... very good!
    Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2014-06-02, 11:56.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
      We will make a MLAT test in Malaysia later this week.
      SEA map receivers.jpg

Colour guide for image:

Green - Receiver activated and online most of the time
      Red - receiver goes offline time to time
      Blue - Possible areas to host receivers. Please ignore the smaller blue circle.

*correction* : KL area has FOUR (4) receivers not 3 as shown on the map.

Note: ONLY FR24 receivers displayed on the map.

Hi Mike,

Any luck in the MLAT test?

As you can see from the image I attached I am sure you or the support team is aware F-WMKC1 and F-WIBB1 goes offline time to time for whatever reason. There is still 2 receivers on delivery to Malaysia, hopefully 1 is going to somewhere around the blue zone. I am sure there is some applications under consideration too for that area. I think only when WMKC1 and WIBB1 is online the test can be more conclusive. Hopefully internet speed is fast enough to carry out MLAT. We will patiently wait as FR24 builds a MLAT network around Peninsular Malaysia/Southern Thailand/Singapore/Sumatra part of Indonesia.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2014-06-03, 13:29.

Comment

• T-WBKW3, Tawau, Sabah feed is online now! Let's see how it performs.

Oh apparently it will go on and off a bit. Need to get new hardware for internet so might be down as there isn't enough ports for the cables. Not quite low level but landing a/c tracked until about 3500ft.

At least I know the setup I assembled works as planned.
        Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2014-06-07, 07:55.

Comment

• Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
          new FR24 receiver, F-WBKL1, Labuan Airport, Malaysia.

(presently displayed as F-KJFK1, will be resolved soon automatically as per piopawlu)
          Hello and welcome to F-WBKL1... hope you will drop by and say hello here. Welcome to FR24

Nice range towards the South, and a bit better coverage past Kudat at the North East so a bit of increased coverage!

13/6: It seems the owner has been experimenting locations for antenna placement. The first have a very good range towards south, planes detected at the heart of Borneo! Then I think it was moved where the range is extended for the most popular domestic route - KUL-BKI and vice versa. Good to have a better coverage there. The occasional SIN-MNL a/c can be seen too, which my set up couldn't reach due to local obstructions. Hopefully you can open up the SIN-MNL route regularly.

One more receiver at Miri/Bintulu and Kudat should complete the coverage around west coast of Sabah and Sarawak.
          Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2014-06-14, 00:50.

Comment

Here are the stats for the FR24 receiver in WBKK. Stats of course will vary and you have to interpret it with care...

The pictures posted earlier wasn't clear so I redo it again.

For my own setup average a/c is about 280, ranging from 250-330. Positions reported is about 58k. I don't really know about message rate as I don't keep an eye on that. These rough figures I got it from another flight tracking service.

There is no PM in this forum but hopefully you can get acquainted with WMKK1 and WMSA1-3 so you can have an idea of what stats they have. I believe it is >1000 a/c a day there. And hope you have good news after #2 of the receiver application process.

Liking WMKJ1 and WRBB1's coverage... very good!
            North Borneo Radar,

Thanks very much for your stats. I'm trying to see how much better the FR24 receivers might be.
            Guess you do not have too many planes flying over KK. I get ~480 a/c daily with my home setup at the moment. Waiting to try a few more things.

I've also temporary trying out a new indoor spot for my work setup. You might be able to catch a few ground a/c over WMKK this weekend.
            Will be bringing it down at around 6-7pm on Sunday.

Comment

• Breaking News: T-MLAT5 detected around KLIA! MLAT is now launched/public trial for that part of Malaysia on FR24! A/c with no ads-b can be detected where there is overlapping of few FR24 receivers now! Good news indeed!
              Let me get a print screen first. Here we go....!

MLAT KL.jpg

and another.. a MAS B734

MLAT KL3.jpg
              Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2014-06-14, 03:05.

Comment

Breaking News: T-MLAT5 detected around KLIA! MLAT is now launched/public trial for that part of Malaysia on FR24! A/c with no ads-b can be detected where there is overlapping of few FR24 receivers now! Good news indeed!
                Let me get a print screen first.
                Yup. Started noticing it this morning.
                I'll give you a weird one. Spot the 'error/s'?

IMG_7280.jpg
                Last edited by who; 2014-06-14, 03:23.

Comment

• Originally posted by who View Post
                  North Borneo Radar,

Thanks very much for your stats. I'm trying to see how much better the FR24 receivers might be.
                  Guess you do not have too many planes flying over KK. I get ~480 a/c daily with my home setup at the moment. Waiting to try a few more things.

I've also temporary trying out a new indoor spot for my work setup. You might be able to catch a few ground a/c over WMKK this weekend.
                  Will be bringing it down at around 6-7pm on Sunday.
                  Hello who,

Of course, it is not surprising at all, there is a huge difference in volume of a/c between WBKK and WMKK. WMKK and WSSS are big aviation hubs, along with VTBS VTBD, so there is a lot of traffic passing around. There isn't really any big hubs on this part of Borneo, but KK is Malaysia 2nd busiest airport and MAHB's stats demonstrates that.

Yes I am able to see as low as 150ft sometimes 0ft for WMKK now by your feed WMKK10. Hope you experiment around and see what you get.

The FR24 Receiver aka radarcape (commercial version) is a very good ads-b receiver in that it has very accurate GPS timestamp, important for MLAT and processing ability as proven by the mode s beast. The radarcape is based on the mode s beast, and it is standalone as compared to the beast which needs to be connected via USB. Both are good receivers on their own right. The dongle is a cheap way to give you a flavour what you can see around you... and once you are hooked you might consider getting more dedicated hardware for it. Of course, not everyone goes along that route, some are just happy to stay with the dongle+rpi combination and tweak around their antenna/amplifier set up to the dongle.
                  Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2014-06-14, 03:22.

Comment

Yup. Started noticing it this morning.
                    I'll give you a weird one. Spot the 'error/s'?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4271[/ATTACH]
                    LOL... B744 huh. There is an Iran Air B744 inbound and showing on MLAT now. Hopefully most F receivers can stay online to contribute to MLAT... and a few more being send to expand MLAT. I hope you will get one who at a good location. And one or two to the east coast of semenanjung,
                    Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2014-06-14, 03:29.

Comment

Hello who,

Of course, it is not surprising at all, there is a huge difference in volume of a/c between WBKK and WMKK. WMKK and WSSS are big aviation hubs, along with VTBS VTBD, so there is a lot of traffic passing around. There isn't really any big hubs on this part of Borneo, but KK is Malaysia 2nd busiest airport and MAHB's stats demonstrates that.

Yes I am able to see as low as 150ft sometimes 0ft for WMKK now by your feed WMKK10. Hope you experiment around and see what you get.
                      Just found something. While using RTL1090 to position the antenna (since there's visual feedback on pkt/s and SNR), i realized it doesn't provide correct GND info.
                      All the planes on the GND were reported to be somewhere in Africa! I was scratching my head even though i see GND traffic, i couldn't find them on both my VirtualRadar and FR24.

I've now switched back to FR24 Beta5 feeder and GND planes are showing up in the correct location!

You should be able to see more GND traffic now.

The FR24 Receiver aka radarcape (commercial version) is a very good ads-b receiver in that it has very accurate GPS timestamp, important for MLAT and processing ability as proven by the mode s beast. The radarcape is based on the mode s beast, and it is standalone as compared to the beast which needs to be connected via USB. Both are good receivers on their own right. The dongle is a cheap way to give you a flavour what you can see around you... and once you are hooked you might consider getting more dedicated hardware for it. Of course, not everyone goes along that route, some are just happy to stay with the dongle+rpi combination and tweak around their antenna/amplifier set up to the dongle.
                      Thanks for taking the time to explain (although I've known most of the info)!

Comment

Just found something. While using RTL1090 to position the antenna (since there's visual feedback on pkt/s and SNR), i realized it doesn't provide correct GND info.
                        All the planes on the GND were reported to be somewhere in Africa! I was scratching my head even though i see GND traffic, i couldn't find them on both my VirtualRadar and FR24.

I've now switched back to FR24 Beta5 feeder and GND planes are showing up in the correct location!

You should be able to see more GND traffic now.

Thanks for taking the time to explain (although I've known most of the info)!
                        Ok... you an try adsb# too and see which performs better.

Comment

Ok... you an try adsb# too and see which performs better.
                          I'll be using the same FR24's beta feeder for now to keep comparisons more accurate.
                          I've switched to another location this morning. Should be better but i'll collect more data and compare to see which is a better location of the two.
                          I'm still using stock antenna. Once I've found the location where i think i want to put it, will build an antenna for it or try another software. I initially tried adsbsharp but switched to RTL1090 but currently using FR24's beta software.

Comment

I'll be using the same FR24's beta feeder for now to keep comparisons more accurate.
                            I've switched to another location this morning. Should be better but i'll collect more data and compare to see which is a better location of the two.
                            I'm still using stock antenna. Once I've found the location where i think i want to put it, will build an antenna for it or try another software. I initially tried adsbsharp but switched to RTL1090 but currently using FR24's beta software.
                            I am still keeping an eye on ground. Landings via runway 15 (?15L) is down to 0ft but take off are detected after a/c airbone for few hundred feet... Not easy it seems. It is still indoors right?

By the way, I do have a spare PCB antenna, are you interested? You will need to house it into a PVC tubing and get a PVC cap. It gives about 150nm range but if you are looking for ground traffic should work fine.

Comment

I am still keeping an eye on ground. Landings via runway 15 (?15L) is down to 0ft but take off are detected after a/c airbone for few hundred feet... Not easy it seems. It is still indoors right?
                              Yeah i noticed that for runway 14L.
                              Still not getting anything for KLIA2 runway.

I brought it 'outdoors' today. Only ~180deg view but reports tells me i could get more than that.

IMG_7289.jpg

feed-stats-140615.PNG

By the way, I do have a spare PCB antenna, are you interested? You will need to house it into a PVC tubing and get a PVC cap. It gives about 150nm range but if you are looking for ground traffic should work fine.
                              We'll need to take this offline. But i'm also interested in making some antennas too.
                              Last edited by who; 2014-06-15, 11:55.

Comment

Yeah i noticed that for runway 14L.
                                Still not getting anything for KLIA2 runway.

I brought it 'outdoors' today. Only ~180deg view but reports tells me i could get more than that.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4273[/ATTACH]

We'll need to take this offline. But i'm also interested in making some antennas too.
                                ok, what is your email address?

Comment

Working...
                                X