No announcement yet.

Malaysia Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd try a 7 1/2 element coco with a shorted top - and be very tempted to ground the cable braid and mast

This should stop static build up on the antenna. Nothing will protect you from a full lightning strike but that may be enough to protect you from a nearby storm.

see http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ntenna/page122

picture https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2937/...04b59567_o.png
    Last edited by peterhr; 2014-05-29, 18:30.

Comment

• Originally posted by who View Post
      North Borneo,
      Please don't say I know more technical stuffs than yourself.
      I hardly know you yet so its not fair to gauge/judge each other.
      I'm the newbie here so i'm just a passenger, you're the captain!
      Ah right, but just being here earlier doesn't mean I know all or a lot of stuffs. lol. Especially on the DIY collinear stuffs on that thread. abcd567 & co who build it will have more insight. I only built a yagi. Then I end up getting an expensive high gain antenna.

By the way maybe if you haven't you can try apply for the FR24 receiver... however chances looks slim I guess as there is already 4 around the area. But why not give it a go. Hope lower coverage for KL ( or ground!) comes to FR24 by you or others in the near future!

Comment

North Borneo,
        Please don't say I know more technical stuffs than yourself.
        I hardly know you yet so its not fair to gauge/judge each other.
        I'm the newbie here so i'm just a passenger, you're the captain!
        We captains don't necessarily know more, we've just been here long enough so everyone knows just how foolish we are

Comment

• Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
          Ah right, but just being here earlier doesn't mean I know all or a lot of stuffs. lol. Especially on the DIY collinear stuffs on that thread. abcd567 & co who build it will have more insight. I only built a yagi. Then I end up getting an expensive high gain antenna.

By the way maybe if you haven't you can try apply for the FR24 receiver... however chances looks slim I guess as there is already 4 around the area. But why not give it a go. Hope lower coverage for KL ( or ground!) comes to FR24 by you or others in the near future!
          My priority is getting the antenna outdoors (at work) and build a better one for it. It's currently indoors and between WMKK and it, there's 3-4 walls.
          Give me a few weeks to sort it out.

As for my home unit, i'm currently getting max distance of 150nm on the stock DVB-T at home (few times a day) although 100nm has more frequent contacts.
          I'm sure i can do better on both.

Yeah, noticed there's already four FR24 around the area.

Peterhr,
          Thanks for the links to the 'FLAVOURS OF CoCo'!

Comment

• May I ask where are these FR24 units located?

F-WMKK1 - Bangi? (bonar)
            F-WMSA1 - ?
            F-WMSA2 - ?
            F-WMSA3 - ? (Ruth)

Thanks!

Would like to know so that i don't need to put so much effort if there's one close by.
            Last edited by who; 2014-05-31, 08:41.

Comment

May I ask where are these FR24 units located?

F-WMKK1 - Bangi? (bonar)
              F-WMSA1 - ?
              F-WMSA2 - ?
              F-WMSA3 - ? (Ruth)

Thanks!

Would like to know so that i don't need to put
              This was Ruth's reply:

Originally posted by Ruth View Post
              F-WMKK1 is nearer to KLIA, while F-WMSA1-3 more towards Subang
              Ruth and Bonar will have a better idea where they are.

Comment

• Yippee! Was doing site survey where to locate the antenna. Able to get ground.
                Give me a few more weeks to finalize location.

KLIA-Ground.PNG

Comment

Yippee! Was doing site survey where to locate the antenna. Able to get ground.
                  Give me a few more weeks to finalize location.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4182[/ATTACH]
                  Fantastic. I think you should go for it and apply for a FR24 receiver. Would help to have ground traffic to FR24 (arrival and departure time etc). No worries take you time to get things sorted for the antenna and cable... and lightning protection.

You are able to get ground for the whole airport I guess? Yeah have a few more surveys then to see where you can get the best reception. If you are running a Rpi with the dongle perhaps you can use PoE so you can put the setup in a weatherproof box and you can use less coax cable and use longer ethernet cable by having the set up outdoors?

On another unrelated topic, T-WBKK4 and F-WBKK2 is down due to internet issue again. Sight. No ADSL connection at all like last time. Already reported to TM. Down time undetermined will all depend on the technical crew's efficiency. Also the place I work has Unifi but the speed I think is similar to a ADSL 128kbps no faster. Huge disappointment. Kesian la internet di Sabah!
                  Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2014-06-01, 03:09.

Comment

This was Ruth's reply:

Ruth and Bonar will have a better idea where they are.
                    Good answer - feeder's location should be kept confidential.
                    F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

Fantastic. I think you should go for it and apply for a FR24 receiver. Would help to have ground traffic to FR24 (arrival and departure time etc). No worries take you time to get things sorted for the antenna and cable... and lightning protection.

You are able to get ground for the whole airport I guess? Yeah have a few more surveys then to see where you can get the best reception. If you are running a Rpi with the dongle perhaps you can use PoE so you can put the setup in a weatherproof box and you can use less coax cable and use longer ethernet cable by having the set up outdoors?
                      Yup. That's one of the two ways i have in mind.
                      I have a spare RPi around. Another going to a data centre in Austria soon. Need to get more soon.

'Problem' with FR24 is, i might not be able to provide a full 360deg view of the sky.

On another unrelated topic, T-WBKK4 and F-WBKK2 is down due to internet issue again. Sight. No ADSL connection at all like last time. Already reported to TM. Down time undetermined will all depend on the technical crew's efficiency. Also the place I work has Unifi but the speed I think is similar to a ADSL 128kbps no faster. Huge disappointment. Kesian la internet di Sabah!
                      Unifi no faster than ADSL?! Oh my! Complain!!! Log fault with TM.

Comment

• What's your normal stats?

Malaysia Radar,

Just wondering, what's the average/peak packets/sec do you all get?
                        Average number of aircraft and positions reported for the day?

I just want to get a baseline.

Here's what i got while doing my site survey for my antenna.
                        Even though I've got a few ground aircraft locations but it wasn't shown on FlightRadar24. (yes, i am feeding and was at that location for maybe 45mins).
                        Other airborne aircraft i fed was shown (my radar was shown).

Thanks in advance!

rtl1090-fr24.jpg

Comment

Yup. That's one of the two ways i have in mind.
                          I have a spare RPi around. Another going to a data centre in Austria soon. Need to get more soon.

'Problem' with FR24 is, i might not be able to provide a full 360deg view of the sky.
                          Hmm... the ideal is a full 360 degree view but in reality not all hosts has that luxury. Of course the more choices/applications have for FR24 the better so they can pick and choose. Mine isn't a good 360 view and I got their receiver. So it's not a definite no if you can't offer 360 view of the sky. They will assess and if interested will ask for more information, including pictures of your area where the antenna will be fixed. So if you are interested just fill in the form and see what happens then.

Oh yes, rpi only can buy through thundermatch. Last time I went they didn't have stock...

Originally posted by who View Post
                          Malaysia Radar,

Even though I've got a few ground aircraft locations but it wasn't shown on FlightRadar24. (yes, i am feeding and was at that location for maybe 45mins).

Thanks in advance!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4183[/ATTACH]
                          I don't have those definite datas at the moment. I call pull the FR24 receivers but will do that tomorrow as it is late now. My own set up has better range than FR24's tho. I will have a look at the data tomorrow.
                          Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2014-06-01, 15:09. Reason: grammar

Comment

Hmm... the ideal is a full 360 degree view but in reality not all hosts has that luxury. Of course the more choices/applications have for FR24 the better so they can pick and choose. Mine isn't a good 360 view and I got their receiver. So it's not a definite no if you can't offer 360 view of the sky. They will assess and if interested will ask for more information, including pictures of your area where the antenna will be fixed. So if you are interested just fill in the form and see what happens then.
                            I've actually submitted (before you suggested) and am still at the Step#2 where they are asking for more information.
                            I'll be out of the country in a few days (so i'll likely only follow up when i'm back).
                            But thanks for letting me (us?) know that your's wasn't a good 360 view and you still received it. Guess you were the early ones!
                            How far up is your antenna?

Oh yes, rpi only can buy through thundermatch. Last time I went they didn't have stock...
                            I've been getting direct from element14. So far have bought close to 30 units.
                            If any of you here in Malaysia Radar needs it, give me a PM.

I don't have those definite datas at the moment. I call pull the FR24 receivers but will do that tomorrow as it is late now. My own set up has better range than FR24's tho. I will have a look at the data tomorrow.
                            THANKS! Would appreciate it! No hurries!

I'm interested in your own setup. Care to describe it? Or point me to a link (if you have done so previously).
                            Last edited by who; 2014-06-01, 19:17.

Comment

I've actually submitted (before you suggested) and am still at the Step#2 where they are asking for more information.
                              I'll be out of the country in a few days (so i'll likely only follow up when i'm back).
                              But thanks for letting me (us?) know that your's wasn't a good 360 view and you still received it. Guess you were the early ones!

I'm interested in your own setup. Care to describe it? Or point me to a link (if you have done so previously).
                              You can get the Rpi directly from RS Components Limited ( UK ).

Go to their website and order. Sent by post.
                              Last edited by Birdie; 2014-06-02, 17:24.
                              F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

Malaysia Radar,

Thanks in advance!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4183[/ATTACH]
                                Is it not showing ground traffic because on the FR24 Feeder Software the ground traffic is not erm ticked? I cant remember exactly, but you should see GND:Yes and Mode S:Yes. But I think you would have noticed...

Originally posted by who View Post

Wow that indeed is a lot of Rpi. You must know how to use it well already. My rpi is not being used for the moment.

My place is about 65M ASL. Here is a link of my set up http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ll=1#post50624
                                The antenna is placed on a 1.6m long pole. I have a mast head preamp (kuhne LNA 1090ATM) and a 2 channel mode s beast but I am only using 1 channel now. It was fun soldering the beast. The beast is now running 24/7 with a beagle bone black running on decodeadsb by John Carrol. There are a few versions available now, dump1090, decodeadsb and modesdeco for ARM computers.

I will get the stats tonight. Internet is slow here at my workplace.

Originally posted by Birdie View Post
                                You can get the Rpi directly from RC Components Limited ( UK ).

Go to their website and order. Sent by post.
                                You mean RS Components? My Rpi was bought from them indeed. The first shipment never arrived and I contacted them 8 weeks after and they sent it to me again via courier. I also used Adafruit before at USA, bought my Beaglebone Black from them, delivery was fast.
                                Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2014-06-02, 06:01. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                                X