This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aircraft labels have grey background

While I did not start the thread entitled "Oh Dear What Have You Done" I have contributed to it and since Mike has taken exception to some recent posts to it by another user on various grounds including that the thread is poorly titled, I will start this new one with an unambiguous title and which only addresses the issue at hand.

That issue is that a couple of weeks ago aircraft titles changed from a transparent background to a mid grey. Some users, including myself, objected to this change because it makes labels very difficult to read when many of them are close to each other, particularly around busy airports. Other users equally expressed no objection to the change. A couple suggested that the option should exist to choose the type of background if there is some compelling reason for the grey to exist.

Moderators have posted that changes are being made to the site and to be patient as the issue will be resolved. Other changes have now appeared in the last few days - they too are not universally popular - but not a word about fixing the background colour of the labels. Various "work-arounds" have been suggested including switching off labels and using alternative versions of the map. None of these are satisfactory to all people, particularly turning off the labels which deprives the user of an important part of the site's functionality. I would also point out that it is an accepted principle in graphic design that where large amounts of text in individual text boxes (for that is what the labels are) need to be overlaid on a graphical base, the maximum amount of text remains legible in the smallest possible space if the text boxes have a transparent background.

Those of us who have posted about this matter deserve a response from FR24 which is uncoloured by personal umbrage taken at the tone of a user's post without addressing in any way the obvious issue that prompted that person to write it in the first place. If it's going to be fixed tell us and give some indication of when because this does not seem a hard thing to do given that the feature used to be there; if not tell us that too.

W7 +
    Chrome 33.0.1750.154 : Present
    FF 26 + 28 : Present
    IE9 : Present
    IE8 : NOT Present
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Related to Div class Marker_label

Which has container background color set:
      rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.2);

0.2 being slight grey. Ignored by non HTML5/later CSS compatible browsers such as IE8
      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
        W7 +
        Chrome 33.0.1750.154 : Present
        FF 26 + 28 : Present
        IE9 : Present
        IE8 : NOT Present
        In I.E 8 - when place cursor over an aircraft icon the displayed aircraft info changes eg AXM 340 changes to display AK 340 but not in Chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by Limpost View Post
          In I.E 8 - when place cursor over an aircraft icon the displayed aircraft info changes eg AXM 340 changes to display AK 340 but not in Chrome.
          This does not appear to be a global change (it doesnt happen with my regions callsigns) nor related to the topic at hand.

And IE is NOT recommended to be used. I listed them purely as a comparison for the devs.

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
            This does not appear to be a global change (it doesnt happen with my regions callsigns) nor related to the topic at hand.

And IE is NOT recommended to be used. I listed them purely as a comparison for the devs.
            I am aware that chrome is the recommended browser and thats what I am using. Since you mentioned that the grey box does not appear in I.E8 I looked to confirm and noticed the aircraft callsign change, thats all. The reason this topic came about is because the are changes to FR24 website and people have been mentioning it. It does not bother me one bit.

Comment

Originally posted by airnrail View Post
              While I did not start the thread entitled "Oh Dear What Have You Done" I have contributed to it and since Mike has taken exception to some recent posts to it by another user on various grounds including that the thread is poorly titled, I will start this new one with an unambiguous title and which only addresses the issue at hand.

That issue is that a couple of weeks ago aircraft titles changed from a transparent background to a mid grey. Some users, including myself, objected to this change because it makes labels very difficult to read when many of them are close to each other, particularly around busy airports. Other users equally expressed no objection to the change. A couple suggested that the option should exist to choose the type of background if there is some compelling reason for the grey to exist.

Moderators have posted that changes are being made to the site and to be patient as the issue will be resolved. Other changes have now appeared in the last few days - they too are not universally popular - but not a word about fixing the background colour of the labels. Various "work-arounds" have been suggested including switching off labels and using alternative versions of the map. None of these are satisfactory to all people, particularly turning off the labels which deprives the user of an important part of the site's functionality. I would also point out that it is an accepted principle in graphic design that where large amounts of text in individual text boxes (for that is what the labels are) need to be overlaid on a graphical base, the maximum amount of text remains legible in the smallest possible space if the text boxes have a transparent background.

Those of us who have posted about this matter deserve a response from FR24 which is uncoloured by personal umbrage taken at the tone of a user's post without addressing in any way the obvious issue that prompted that person to write it in the first place. If it's going to be fixed tell us and give some indication of when because this does not seem a hard thing to do given that the feature used to be there; if not tell us that too.
              Well said, seems shooting the messenger rather than addressing the issue is the response we are getting on this one.

This could all have been avoided in the begining by letting the users know what is going on instead of apparently ignoring this matter.

Comment

Your comments are appreciated, as I believe I am the one whom Mike took umbrage for asking about this issue. As you stated, all we ask is a clear and definate statement, are the changes staying or not

Comment

I don't like grey boxed aircraft labels any at all it makes it too cluttered and too difficult to find which plane I am following especially in London area. :/

Comment

Originally posted by chris_astrocraft View Post
                    I don't like grey boxed aircraft labels any at all it makes it too cluttered and too difficult to find which plane I am following especially in London area. :/
                    Sorry but the FR24 people think that if millions of users dont post here on the forum, everyone but us complainers like it.

It is indeed horrible compared to the previous labels. But you get used to it, you just start to ignore the labels, you adjust. Happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarod View Post
                      Sorry but the FR24 people think that if millions of users dont post here on the forum, everyone but us complainers like it.

It is indeed horrible compared to the previous labels. But you get used to it, you just start to ignore the labels, you adjust. Happens.
                      I vote for the grey background to be removed. I do not like the new label. Is that, umm, clear enough?

Not aimed at you, Jarod!
                      Cheers, Dom. (YSSY7)

Comment

I too think it was a backward step.I don't like it...Not one little bit.

Comment

Hi,

I've been away and just got back to reading the Forum and noticed the original thread had been closed,. So thanks for starting this topic to continue the discussion.

I was the originator of the other thread, and I apologise for the, perhaps, rather alarmist title. However I was quickly asked for a screen shot of what I was seeing and provided this with other info' regarding browsers and OS's. I fact I asked several local users what they were seeing and what their systems were and even their service providers. So admin/support were well aware of the problem even if the title was inappropriate.

However it took quite a while before it was said that changes were afoot and be patient. Now these changes may be commercially sensitive ones and therefore FR24 would not what to release details until finalised and bringing them into operation.

That's fine, but the customer relations side of the way this was handled was at best irritating and at worst rude. You don't get into slanging matches with your customers even if they may be incorrect in their assumptions. Some of this may be due to different cultures and using English as a non-native language on the Forum. But there does seem to have been a complete misunderstanding of what is being asked and what is being offered in explanation. Clearly there was also a lack of communication between support and admin' as one of those knew about the upcoming changes and the other didn't.

So in summary, it's been several weeks now and no more news, we still have the grey boxes and some people are unhappy.

I continue to use FR24 as it's still the best virtual radar around.

Regards,

Rob
                          Last edited by mezzoman; 2014-04-21, 11:06.

Comment

Grey boxes

It has been a couple of weeks since the grey boxes were put onto the system.They do not work and it was stated that further changes would be made.
                            All most members want is the boxes to go back to as they were before or at least give us the option to do so.
                            I understand that some people prefer them but the majority do not as they over lap too much when in a busy area.
                            Can someone from admin please give us some answers please as a good system is being spoiled.

John in Seaford

Comment

Originally posted by lambo1784 View Post
                              Can someone from admin please give us some answers please as a good system is being spoiled.

John in Seaford
                              Can anyone in admin tell us please, what is going to happen with the "Grey Boxes" are they going to be a permanent feature or not

Comment

Working...
                              X