Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UAT receivers instead of 1090ES in the US?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UAT receivers instead of 1090ES in the US?

Hey all,

I just found fr24 and it's a cool idea. I had a question about the equipment: it seems that you are only using 1090MHz Mode-S ES receivers. In the US, general aviation aircraft can also use a Universal Access Transceiver (UAT) data link at 978MHz. If I understand correctly, the UAT datalink does not only allow aircraft to report their usage, but the positions of 1090ES-reporting aircraft are also uplinked by the UAT ground stations so they can be displayed in the cockpits of general aviation aircraft. So, it seems that it would be a more efficient solution in the US to use UAT receivers instead of 1090ES ones, they would receive positions of aircraft reporting on both systems whereas there is no uplink over the 1090ES frequency so if you only use that receiver you will not see positions of aircraft using the 978MHz system. Was this considered and rejected for some reason?

cheers,

/Patrik
    Patrik J. / KB1VGP / FR24 T-PHTO1

Was discussed 2 weeks ago, please see old thread
    I have searched here for information on UAT (978 Mhz) receivers and found none. Here in the United States, Most civil aircraft will have this by the year 2020 if they plan on flying in Class A, B, C and some E airspace. Air Carriers, freight haulers, and other aircraft that will fly above FL230 will stay with 1090ES

Comment

Ok, tackar! Good to know.

I did a search for UAT but nothing came up. I must not have searched all forums.
      Patrik J. / KB1VGP / FR24 T-PHTO1

Comment

Working...
      X