Questions about the FR24 equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about the FR24 equipment

I applied to another service to feed and was accepted, but not sure if I will move forward since my questions are not being answered so I fear support after getting equipment might not be prompt..

If I get accepted with FR24 I want to be prepared..

My house is a two story house. (3 with basement). My router comes in at the basement level.

The antenna would be on a roof line, but am reading that 10 meters (30 or so feet) is the max the coax can be. This would place the FR24 box in my attic, which I am not sure is a good idea. I am in IT, and I know for a fact that heat and computer equipment do not mix at all. In Cincinnati, OH, attics can reach up near 120F in summer. I fear the FR24 receiver wouldn't last..unless these are somehow different.

As far as transmitting data via ethernet, I plan on using a TPlink (power over electrical line) to transmit all the way to my basement.

The antenna would be mounted on the red dot.

I would appreciate any input on my concerns.

Thanks!

antenna location.jpg

Originally posted by Rbryant76 View Post
    I applied to another service to feed and was accepted, but not sure if I will move forward since my questions are not being answered so I fear support after getting equipment might not be prompt..

If I get accepted with FR24 I want to be prepared..

My house is a two story house. (3 with basement). My router comes in at the basement level.

The antenna would be on a roof line, but am reading that 10 meters (30 or so feet) is the max the coax can be. This would place the FR24 box in my attic, which I am not sure is a good idea. I am in IT, and I know for a fact that heat and computer equipment do not mix at all. In Cincinnati, OH, attics can reach up near 120F in summer. I fear the FR24 receiver wouldn't last..unless these are somehow different.

As far as transmitting data via ethernet, I plan on using a TPlink (power over electrical line) to transmit all the way to my basement.

The antenna would be mounted on the red dot.

I would appreciate any input on my concerns.

Thanks!
    Hi. I'm also quite new to this, but I think your options are to either 1) replace the supplied antenna cable with something significantly more substantial in order to keep the receiver out of the hot attic, or, if that's not an option for some reason, 2) apply a bit of active cooling (ie, maybe aim a decent fan at the box while it's in the hot attic).

My FR24 receiver never seems to get particularly warm to the touch, although I have to say it's sited in an area that rarely gets much above 20 °C.

BPO
    F-NZGT1

Comment

I was thinking if the run is less than 30 feet..I can put the equipment in a closet..and install a wall plate and attach the coax to that..I plan on getting up in the attic tonight to get some accurate measurements..

Comment

Interesting question, one I had not considered in my recent antenna upgrade.

To get my antenna on a 6 metre (18 foot) mast, on the peak of my tiled roof, requires the black box be inside the roof, or attic as you call it. I had a power point installed in there to power the FR box and an ethernet cable run from inside the roof, down the wall and into my office, where the modem is. Summer is just finishing so the worst heat is over but Id still like to know if there is an upper operating temp limit.
        F-YBNA2

Comment

You should be able to put the receiver on the attic. So far we have no known heat problems. Heat is on of the parameters that we monitor inside the receiver.

Comment

Mike, is that the Temp we can see if we open the FR Box's local IP address page ?

For mine, that has been well over the ambient temp of the GPS head unit each time Ive seen it. Even the case temp of the FR Rx box has never been that warm.
            F-YBNA2

Comment

Temp on that page is unit temp, and it's above air temp.
              My unit is outdoor in protective case hidden from direct sunlight, and no problem so far.
              Last edited by Amper; 2014-04-02, 10:28.
              For official support use Contact Form

Comment

I think the temperature is measured close to the CPU. We don't look so much at the temperature it self, but compare how value is compared to other units.

Comment

Thanks for all the answers. I have everything planned and ready. Now we wait

Comment

Working...
                  X