Flightradar 24 time delay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flightradar 24 time delay?

Hi everyone. This is my first post here.

I've just started plane spotting at an airport near my home. That is Philly International. Today, my first visit to flightradar24. I'm running FR24 on Chrome through a Comcast internet connection. At the same time I'm running Philly's Final Approach from ATC live.

I was having trouble putting planes on FR24 together with what i was hearing from ATC. Then i realized that there is a time delay. The yellow planes on my screen are not matching up with the position reports i'm hearing. My question - how do i get a live Flightradar24 on my computer?

Also, not all flights reporting are showing up on FR24.

I appreciate any help. This is all new to me. I think it's pretty cool that this can be done.

THX!

Originally posted by tjc45 View Post

I've just started plane spotting at an airport near my home. That is Philly International. Today, my first visit to flightradar24. I'm running FR24 on Chrome through a Comcast internet connection. At the same time I'm running Philly's Final Approach from ATC live.

I was having trouble putting planes on FR24 together with what i was hearing from ATC. Then i realized that there is a time delay. The yellow planes on my screen are not matching up with the position reports i'm hearing. My question - how do i get a live Flightradar24 on my computer?

I appreciate any help. This is all new to me. I think it's pretty cool that this can be done.

THX!
    There is no special "live" feature, WYSIWYG.

The ADS-B planes are accurate. yesterday, I heard a Cessna starting to pass my house going to the little industrial airport 1.5 miles from me. Checked FR24, and it actually had an ADS-B transponder. First Cessna that I've seen locally with one. Watched it all the way down, taxi to it's hanger and power down. Nice to know that I can track planes on the ground at the airport.

As for flights not appearing, non-ADS-B planes are tracked via FAA filed flight plans. No flight plan and no ADS-B transponder = no tracking. I have planes over my house all the time that don't show up, mostly from that airport.

A.J.
    F-KBOI2

Comment

I have been watching the planes I feed locally on Plane Plotter, RTL and the Flightradar24 site simultaneously (along with my eyes out my window) and have only noticed a small one second lag at best on the website. It sounds like you need to get the $10 TV dongle and do the same thing I am doing!

Comment

There is small delay on the map. It takes time for data to travel from radar to server and then to your screen. usually it's aprox. 5 sec. Untill few days ago, FR24 boxes were sending data every 5 sec, now it's every 3 seconds. As JackL said. Feeders can see real time positions on PP,Adsbscope or VR.
        You should read How it works and FAQ
        Last edited by Amper; 2014-03-18, 20:03.
        For official support use Contact Form

Comment

THX everyone! My understanding is that some U.S. airports have a built in time delay. For those without any hardware beyond their computer with normal high speed internet access, as posted above, what you see is what you get. I can't come with another reason that planes that I'm hearing reporting short final, runway in sight, etc, are showing on FR24 as being 15 to 20 or more miles away from the reported position.

That said, you've given my some solutions to check out. That's my next step. Again, thx!!!!

Comment

Orange Aircraft Icons (FAA) are delayed by five minutes as per FAA rules.
            AMS Daily Fight Information: http://schiphol.dutchplanespotters.nl/

Comment

Comparing with many ADS-B sharing website website like FR24, Flightaware, RadarBox24, Planefinder, I think the delay of FR24, Flightaware are the least...

Comment

THX!

Hi and welcome onboard !

Are the delayed plane displayed with an orange color ?

Quoted from the FAQ
                What is the difference between the yellow and the orange planes?
                In addition to ADS-B data, we also display data from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). This data provides full coverage of the airspace above the United States and Canada. However, this data is slightly delayed (up to 5 minutes) due to FAA regulations. Because of this delay, the planes generated from FAA data are of a different color (orange) than the planes generated from real-time data (yellow).
                F-LFST2

"Life without knowledge is death in disguise"

Comment

THX everyone! My understanding is that some U.S. airports have a built in time delay. For those without any hardware beyond their computer with normal high speed internet access, as posted above, what you see is what you get. I can't come with another reason that planes that I'm hearing reporting short final, runway in sight, etc, are showing on FR24 as being 15 to 20 or more miles away from the reported position.

That said, you've given my some solutions to check out. That's my next step. Again, thx!!!!

As others have said, the orange planes are 5m delayed. ( I forgot about them because I've been ignoring anything I don't have locked locally). You definitely want to get a cheap TV dongle and run it on a laptop. It is one of the most entertaining RF projects you can complete for under $10! Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                  X