Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Closed runway in use at Sydney (SYD/YSSY)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closed runway in use at Sydney (SYD/YSSY)?

For those astute observers who may have noticed when zooming in to Sydney's Kingsford Smith International Airport and noted aircraft landing and taking off on/from a 'closed' Rwy07/25 there is an explanation. (The runway is painted with the international sign for a closed runway with a large white 'X' just beyond the 'piano keys' at both ends and the designations are blanked out). As I write this post it just so happens that this runway (Rwy25) is in use.

Some time ago the runway was indeed closed for a major upgrade to the runway end safety areas which are used by pilots for either overshoots, undershoots or runway excursions (or if the pilots just want to see a little more of the airport, or do a few 'burnouts').

It appears that the last time Mr Google updated the map (and hence FR24) that it was during this period when the runway was closed. It is now very much 'open' for business so there's no need for concern. I'm sure that in time as the map is updated this will be corrected however, it may also occur in other areas of the world from time to time. It may also affect Rwy designations if an extra runway is added and existing runways are changed etc.

Regards,
    Gregg
    Last edited by fungus; 2013-11-30, 03:10.
    YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Originally posted by fungus View Post
    For those astute observers who may have noticed when zooming in to Sydney's Kingsford Smith International Airport and noted aircraft landing and taking off on/from a 'closed' Rwy07/25 there is an explanation. (The runway is painted with the international sign for a closed runway with a large white 'X' just beyond the 'piano keys' at both ends and the designations are blanked out). As I write this post it just so happens that this runway (Rwy25) is in use.

Some time ago the runway was indeed closed for a major upgrade to the runway end safety areas which are used by pilots for either overshoots, undershoots or runway excursions (or if the pilots just want to see a little more of the airport, or do a few 'burnouts').

It appears that the last time Mr Google updated the map (and hence FR24) that it was during this period when the runway was closed. It is now very much 'open' for business so there's no need for concern. I'm sure that in time as the map is updated this will be corrected however, it may also occur in other areas of the world from time to time. It may also affect Rwy designations if an extra runway is added and existing runways are changed etc.

Regards,
    Gregg
    Have a look at Frankfurt, Germany. They have built a third runway (actually 4th but I don't know if the previous military runway is still in use) on the other side of the terminals since Google last updated. You can watch planes landing and taking off apparently from an autobahn! There' a good picture of the airport as it really is today on the airport's website.

Comment

Originally posted by airnrail View Post
      Have a look at Frankfurt, Germany. They have built a third runway (actually 4th but I don't know if the previous military runway is still in use) on the other side of the terminals since Google last updated. You can watch planes landing and taking off apparently from an autobahn! There' a good picture of the airport as it really is today on the airport's website.
      Thanks for pointing that out. I had FRA in mind when I mentioned other airports but had forgotten the detail. The main purpose of the post though was to assure all that it isnt a 'problem' with FR24.
      Regards,
      Gregg
      YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

07-25 at YSSY has been back in use for some years. IRC it was closed to try to streamline the parallel runway ops.
        Re-opened mainly due to noise complaints (I may be completely wrong) but does come in handy when strong westerly winds whip up as happens around Sept-Nov in YSSY.
        Now you'll notice it being used in crosswinds when other runways would be more suitable, that's to do with the airports restrictions on movements and noise. A certain percentage of weekly traffic must use 07-25. There's also a cap on hourly takeoffs or landings in YSSY, regardless of how busy it gets. I believe its 80 or maybe 85 per hour MAX.
        F-YBNA2

Comment

80 per hour it is indeed, and it's used when the crosswind component becomes excessive on the main runways (16L/34R 16R/34L), in general by the smaller turboprops. Rex Saab 340's, the Air Ambulance and RFDS king airs, Qantaslink Dash8's and the like dont like strong crosswinds. In fact they arent allowed to land or take off if their crosswind limit is exceeded. They dont like using it (07/25) as it leads to massive congestion both in the skies around Sydney and on the ground.

The runway safety end work was apparently done in 2010;

"60
          Runway End Safety Areas (RESA)
          Complying RESAs have been implemented at five of
          the six runway ends. Approval for the construction
          of a complying RESA on Runway 25 has been
          granted and work is currently in progress and is due
          to be completed by in 2010"

Unfortunately as I said above, Mr. Google is yet to catch up.

Regards,
          Gregg
          Last edited by fungus; 2013-12-01, 05:27.

Comment

Working...
          X