Introduction - new user - soon...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction - new user - soon...

Just by way of introduction - I hope that is OK on this part of the forum...

I'm expecting delivery of my Flightradar 24 equipment any time next week. I have been a Radarbox user, but was disgruntled with the lack of support, and so haven't used it for quite sometime.

I am retired from NATS (at the original LATCC at West Drayton), but still maintain a related interest.

I still have an antenna and pre-amp on my roof, at 450 metres amsl in south central France, so I'm hoping my contribution will be useful. I've checked it out, having resurrected the Radarbox for the purpose, and still get excellent coverage.

One question you may be able to help with - having used the basic Flightradar24 site on and off for a few weeks, I notice a discrepancy in track of about five kilometres when watching traffic overhead - specifically Air France flights from LFPO and LFPG to LFBO. These flights invariably pass directly overhead, but the track displayed appears to be several kilometres to the west. Just wondering.

Anyway, I hope to be contributing soon.

Chris
    Last edited by Deadcalm; 2013-10-20, 16:02.

G'day Deadcalm and welcome to FR24.

I've been operating a radar here in Australia west of Sydney since 2008 and uploading to FR24 for some years. I havent noticed that issue at all and in fact the receiver I use and the map are spot on as far as position is concerned. The only real issue with the map is a 'lag' time of approx 15-20 seconds of time it takes to upload and process the data onto the map, which is almost imperceptable.
    Some older aircraft with INS inertial navigation systems can give slight position errors but in general the newer aircraft dont suffer this issue. Was it on a particular radar that you've noticed this occuring, or straight or curved track?

Regards,
    Gregg
    Last edited by fungus; 2013-10-21, 09:02.
    YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Hello, Gregg - thanks for the welcome!

The tracks of these flights are dead straight, normally, on their way into Toulouse, and have just started their descent. The closest existing feeders to me are a considerable distance away. It's significant to me, because invariably they are immediately above the house,and I can "eyeball" them.

The display using my Radarbox always positioned these particular flights accurately.

Chris

Comment

I thought ADSB equipment on the planes had to be linked to FAA approved GPS receiver systems for positional accuracy - so inertial navigation system might mean that the plane isn't where the flight crew were hoping it would be - but the GPS would report where they actually are in reality.

I would suspect the errors reported by Deadcalm would be due to the position of the aircraft having been predicted from the last data received by FR24 - rather than current data - due to there being no local FR24 feeders.

Off on a tangent - does the FR24 kit include antennas, brackets and co-ax even when the recipient already has these and only needs the receiver?

Comment

Originally posted by peterhr View Post
          Off on a tangent - does the FR24 kit include antennas, brackets and co-ax even when the recipient already has these and only needs the receiver?
          I think it would be Peter as the equipment used by Flightradar24 has been matched and chosen for the best performance.
          AMS Daily Fight Information: http://schiphol.dutchplanespotters.nl/

Comment

That's an interesting question, when i receive the new antenna i'll make a quick test between that and the ads-b home made gp.
            ( http://x264.nl/dump/rtlsdr-mini-virt...ter-record.jpg )
            ( http://x264.nl/dump/ads-b-antenna-gr...ane-proper.jpg )
            I'll let ya know the results in the antenna thread.

Comment

I thought ADSB equipment on the planes had to be linked to FAA approved GPS receiver systems for positional accuracy - so inertial navigation system might mean that the plane isn't where the flight crew were hoping it would be - but the GPS would report where they actually are in reality.

I would suspect the errors reported by Deadcalm would be due to the position of the aircraft having been predicted from the last data received by FR24 - rather than current data - due to there being no local FR24 feeders.
              Peter,

you're right on both your first two points. However, older aircraft (like some of the 767 etc) were giving incorrect positional data that were quite apparent at airports where we had ground coverage earlier on. You can still see it occasionally on the map. This is a transitional phase for ADS-B and so not yet mandatory. Therefore some inaccuracies have been expected and tolerated by the authorities (for now).
              Some tracks do seem to contain predicted paths (I experience them on my radar) so may, as you say, explain the situation that Deadcalm is referring to.

Regards,
              Gregg
              Last edited by fungus; 2013-10-21, 09:14.
              YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Yes, FR24 do provide the whole package. F-WSSS1 was given the whole package even though he already has his own antenna already.

And welcome to FR24 deadcalm. I suspect the incorrect position of aircraft is as of what fungus states - the predicted path of a/c after they have initially lost contact with the receiver. this usually goes on for about 5 minutes or less.
                Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2013-10-21, 14:09.

Comment

Thanks for the replies - the feeders concerned appear to be LFPO1 and LFBU1, several hundred kilometres from me in each case. Maybe my own contribution will make a difference when I get going.

Chris

Comment

Les coordonnées sont envoyées par les avions dans la trame ADS-B. Pas sûr que ça change grand chose mais bienvenue au club.
                    J-Luc T-LFBU1

Google Translate: "The coordinates are sent by the aircraft in the frame ADS-B. Not sure it changes much but welcome to the club."
                    Last edited by speedbird1960; 2013-10-22, 17:27. Reason: Translation added.

Comment

Merci beaucoup, J-Luc

Chris

Comment

For your information, the new F-LFBV (Brive) is very powerfull and you will probably see no plane tagged with your station, it's too close to the Corrèze. I am near Angouleme, I have a quite good station (at least 100 planes continuously) and when I have ONE plane tagged T-FLBU, I am happy. But it's still interresting to get the Premium status even with no usefull data. Contact me in private for more informations.

J-Luc

PS :Je reçois super bien Bordeaux Contrôle ici, même le contrôle militaire de Cognac.
                        Last edited by F1JEK; 2013-10-24, 08:12.

Comment

LFBV is me, I started feeding yesterday (24th October).- I am pleased it is a powerful signal!

Chris

Comment

Oui, je confirme ! Vous avez donc l'équipement fourni par FR24. Cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadcalm View Post
                              LFBV is me, I started feeding yesterday (24th October).- I am pleased it is a powerful signal!

Chris
                              Fantastic...! better coverage over your place now.

Comment

Working...
                              X