Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expanding Australian Coverage

Hey all,

I've been a keen user of Flight Radar 24 for a while.

I'm interested in helping improve coverage. There are 3 locations which I think might help.

1. Lord Howe Island - This would get substantially better coverage in the tasman sea.

2. Point Lookout, NSW, AU - This is an altitude spt where there could be much better reception for certain east coast australia routes.

3. Placing a receiver at UNSW at altiude within a LOS to the airport. (SYD).

Can anyone give me advice on how to help?

Originally posted by el_rooto View Post
    Hey all,

I've been a keen user of Flight Radar 24 for a while.

I'm interested in helping improve coverage. There are 3 locations which I think might help.

1. Lord Howe Island - This would get substantially better coverage in the tasman sea.

2. Point Lookout, NSW, AU - This is an altitude spt where there could be much better reception for certain east coast australia routes.

3. Placing a receiver at UNSW at altiude within a LOS to the airport. (SYD).

Can anyone give me advice on how to help?
    Are you willing to put your own radar together (raspberry pi computer ~ 50USD, USB Tuner stick ~ 10USD, SD Card, Power supply $15USD + antenna) - sorry no idea how that looks in AUD

All about feeding data to Flightradar24 (The Flightradar24 receiver, Raspberry Pi and Windows feeding software). No discussions about Flightradar24 web or apps.

Comment

Lord Howe would be a great location. Point Lookout could be good but there is some coverage through there from Williamtown and Gold Coast. Any more receivers looking at Sydney airport would be a waste of money - you've already got coverage down to the ground on all runways and most taxiways. The real black hole in NSW and southern Qld is in the central west. To see what I mean find a flight from Townsville to Sydney that passes near Emerald in Qld. Many track almost directly to Sydney from there. You will probably lose it on FR24 from just south of Injune in Qld to just west of Tamworth in NSW.

The operators of FR24 don't seem to have a lot of interest in expanding coverage in Australia as they seem to believe that most aviation takes place only around the coast line.

What about we keep this thread going along the lines of a similar one the Kiwis have on here to specifically discuss Australian coverage and issues?

I live in a rural area of Qld without any scheduled air services and the amount of international and domestic airline traffic that passes over my location about 300km from the east coast is astounding. There is also a large amount of mining/energy industry generated traffic. There are jet capable airstrips in the middle of the desert in Qld, SA, NT and WA with aircraft as large as B737s flying into them. Most of these planes have ADS-B equipment but are barely visible on FR24 because of lack of feeders other than on the coastline - there is not a single inland feeder in WA but about five in Perth.

Please share your thoughts.

Comment

If you want to host our FR24 receiver please apply on http://www.flightradar24.com/free-ads-b-equipment

Comment

Start poking around the aviation spotting forums etc guys. Drum up some people and let them know how cheap it is for them to host their own receivers at home now and help them set it up and as a payback feed in

Thats how most of us Kiwis worked it. As you would have seen we have quite the good wee mesh going on in our patch now
          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by airnrail View Post
            I live in a rural area of Qld without any scheduled air services and the amount of international and domestic airline traffic that passes over my location about 300km from the east coast is astounding. There is also a large amount of mining/energy industry generated traffic. There are jet capable airstrips in the middle of the desert in Qld, SA, NT and WA with aircraft as large as B737s flying into them. Most of these planes have ADS-B equipment but are barely visible on FR24 because of lack of feeders other than on the coastline - there is not a single inland feeder in WA but about five in Perth.
            Have you ever looked at a historical rainfall map for Australia? Ninety percent of the population live where it gets the most rainfall. Where is that? It is along the coasts.

If you have caravaned around the outback you will know sweet fresh water is in short supply. Most bore holes produce brackish salty water. Outside of towns there is no electricity or internet unless a cattle station has a generator and satellite dish. It may be a hundred miles to the nearest town or neighbor.

West of Tamworth, Longreach and Emerald are in the same boat.

Wanting more coverage starts with a commitment from you that you will host a feeder and if a FREE RECEIVER is not available spend some of your means to build and maintain one.

A dongle hung from the top of a mango tree is sufficient connected to 25 mtrs or less of powered USB to your computer which you will leave online 24 hours a day. You will be an oddity which will draw all kinds of questions and opportunities to show off your station and FR24. You will be able to track flights a minimum of 150 NM (LOS). With no complimentary feeders close, it is not unusual for FR24 to continue to show the flight being tracked for another 50 NM or so still showing you as the attributing radar.

Interested folks like you can make a difference.

The operators of FR24 don't seem to have a lot of interest in expanding coverage in Australia as they seem to believe that most aviation takes place only around the coast line.
            Look at the August Feeder List maintained by SoCalBrian for Australia. The T-XXXXX feeders are those using their own equipment and the F-XXXX feeders are using stations provided by FR24.

FR24 rejoices when a new feeder appears. With their limited resources, they can't provide all FREE RECEIVERS.

airnrail, step up to the plate and give us a hand.

John

T-RVPD1

The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.

Comment

Great write up.

I didn't manage to get the powerd USB repeater cable I bought to work with the dongle, but running the raspberry pi + dongle on power over ethernet (POE) was a breeze once I got the bits ... and you don't need to leave the windows pc on 24/7.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Australia has been on our wish list for a very long time
                The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.

Australia/Oceania

Western Australia
                Australian North and West coast (from Mandurah via Geraldton, Karratha, Port Hedland, Broome, Derby to Darwin)
                Queenstown, New Zealand
                Papeete, French Polynesia
                We have posted an Facebook before that we are looking for feeders in Western Australia and we get very little response from this area and the few receivers we have send there have a quite high downtime. We even made a trip to Australia 16 months ago to find potential partners, and that gave us quite good contact with airports in some parts of Australia and many airports that are not along the coast has chosen to install a FR24 receiver. Next on list to get a receiver is Ayers Rock area.

Most central part of Australia is just desert so it's not so easy to find someone who can host a receiver, but if you have any ideas what more we can do, you are welcome to help us.

Comment

Planning to trial a feed using a RTL USB and temp antenna see how it goes. Location is YBNS.
                  Should improve low level coverage in the area. We sure need to get more folks on board with
                  increasing Aust FIR coverage. Ceduna would be a great location surely there folks there that
                  could host a feed.

Comment

Working...
                  X