This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It dosn't matter if your receiver is slow or fast

There has been a long, now closed, thread about feeder prioritization, and I just want to correct some misunderstandings
    and wrong assumptions. I don't want to start a new long living thread on the same subject.

Mike wrote:
    There is no prioritization based on receiver type or receiver software, only latest data is always used.
    But as FR24 receiver is the fastest receiver on the market and no external software is needed to process and upload data,
    I guess the chance is big that FR24 receiver wins against other receivers.

But that assumption is not correct. If all receivers are treated equally, then it dosn't matter if they are slow or fast.
    What matters are how well a receiver is in sync with the FR24 server when uploading data. If everyone uploads data in 5
    sec intervals, then you send data to the server every 5 sec, no matter how fast or slow you are. What's important is when
    the server reads and process the data after your upload. If the server process the data every 5 sec, then your data can be
    anywhere from 0.1 sec to 4.9 sec old (and that is true for all feeder types). So if you can time it to upload data just
    before the server process data, then you have a better chance of winning - Don't know how to figure that out :-(

But if the F-receivers are uploading at a higher rate, let's say every 2 sec, then it is a completly different story.

What really matters is your antenna position and height.

Originally posted by Erik View Post
    But if the F-receivers are uploading at a higher rate, let's say every 2 sec, then it is a completely different story.
    ...or even uploading into other servers or in another way so MLAT calculations can be performed... (don't know)

Comment

FR24 receivers provides 2 uploads. ADS-B data with the same regularity as other receivers. MLAT data every second, based on a special matching formula, so only necessary data is uploaded.

Comment

MisInformation Challenge

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        FR24 receivers provides 2 uploads. ADS-B data with the same regularity as other receivers. MLAT data every second, based on a special matching formula, so only necessary data is uploaded.
        Mike obviously this is misinformation. Real boots on the ground report with the FR24 "Loaner" receivers connected to the same antenna with dongle lose 90-100% of their contacts to the FR24 "Loaner" box.

Everyone who has contributed with their means, blood, sweat and tears to this volunteer hobby overnight discover they aren't needed anymore. One FR24 box streaming to a prioritized server is replacing scores or other cheap or expensive systems whose information is at least 5 seconds+latency old when it arrives in Sweden.

If the server admin tells you that just MLAT information and not Mode S is culled from the data stream of the FR24 boxes they are still treating you like a Mushroom.

Mike, I understand how thin skinned you get when prioritization gets mentioned in a thread but facts now available by those with the loaner boxes is coming to daylight. Anyone without a loaner box is not needed anymore because the new box obsoletes everything that preceded it since the server algorithm discards "OLD" 5 second data. Only streaming Mode S is valid where there is a loaner box and competing conventional feeders. If you value your conventional legacy feeders, the algorithm must be changed to produce a level set of rules for accepting tracking data.

Conventional feeders without a neighboring loaner box experience no difference in the flights accepted by the FR24 server. 5 second data is valid if no loaner box is tracking the current target.

Mike, FR24 controls the operation of loaner boxes so the behavior observed in the Real What Is world is controlled from FR24 so if this is what you want lots of luck.

John

T-RPVD1

The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.

Comment

I have said it before, and I write it again. ALL (everyone/alla/wszystkie/todo/tous/alle/tutti) feeds are handled with the same priority. The only things that matters i how OLD the data is. If you are running an slow receiver (for example a DVB-T stick) your data is already old when uploaded to server. I have described it here
          All about feeding data to Flightradar24 (The Flightradar24 receiver, Raspberry Pi and Windows feeding software). No discussions about Flightradar24 web or apps.

and even more information added in this post
          All about feeding data to Flightradar24 (The Flightradar24 receiver, Raspberry Pi and Windows feeding software). No discussions about Flightradar24 web or apps.

Please read it before you post complete nonsense.

The MLAT data has NOTHING to do with the ADS-B data. An FR24 receiver is NOT providing MLAT data when installed/activated. MLAT is separate service, on separate port, activated separately and running separately, eventually (I'm not sure about this) uploaded to a different server. It does not interfere or affect the ADS-B data upload in any way.

Comment

Working...
          X