No announcement yet.

MLAT is now live on Flightradar24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How close can receivers be to make MLAT work? Is, say, 2km too close?

Comment

• Something quite odd and rare is happening now at Schiphol.
      Aircraft are landing on 18C AND 36R. Departures are from 09.

METAR: EHAM 020525Z 35001KT 2500 BR NSC 07/06 Q1008 NOSIG
      The wind is 1 knot, so that's why it is possible. It's misty as well.

MLAT north, south, west and east from the airport is working perfectly. Very low positions are reported and you can follow the aircraft almost down to on the runway.

FR24: Thanks a lot and good job. Really enjoying this!

Comment

• MLAT now showing in Central Victoria...

Screen Shot 2014-04-02 at 11.01.34 pm.png

Comment

• More MLAT fun:

http://x264.nl/dump/phecr-2014-04-03-mlat-heli.jpg First time seeing a heli take off from the heliport there! (Also note how close departing traffic comes.)

http://x264.nl/dump/cobo32-2014-04-0...n-airforce.jpg (ADS-B) being followed by: http://x264.nl/dump/king13-2014-04-03-mlat.jpg (hex 0006AF, fake? Not on my data...)

Comment

• Briefly spotted one of the RAAF's Wedgetails flying west from SA - probably to MH370 search area. First plane I've seen on MLAT over SA. wedge1.jpg

Comment

• FR24 crew,

I have a question about helicopters and MLAT over the North Sea.
              I am currently receiving (2014-04-05 05:20 UTC):

2014-04-05 05:40 UTC:

http://x264.nl/dump/hhe60a-2014-04-05-heli.jpg (HHE is HELI HOLLAND)

And a FULL ADS-B GPS helicopter to check for data if needed, 2014-04-05 06:01 UTC:

http://x264.nl/dump/oonhk-2014-04-05...dsb-update.jpg (Not sure why i am picking this up, and not F-EHKD1 with its totally insane range, while this heli is north of EHKD.)

I am almost certain F-EHAM1/F-EHKD1/F-EHRD3 can receive them.
              Can you check if the receivers indeed catch these signals?
              According to VRS the signals are quite strong, HNL43A even peaked over 200, so probably leaving from a heli port near the Amsterdam harbor.
              In that case i am 100% sure 4 or even more receivers can pickup the signal, in this case are: F-EHAM1/F-EHKD1/F-EHRD3/F-EHVB1 (but F-EHRD1 and F-EHRD2 probably also.)

I am hearing all these helicopters perfectly on 124.3 MHz - Schiphol EHAA INFORMATION FIS Noordzee, so i was wondering:
              Do you want to have these helicopters visible on the website? If so, can you check if the signals are received by the receivers or if extra receivers are required?
              It would be awesome if we could make these helicopters visible.
              Last edited by Jarod; 2014-04-05, 06:24. Reason: some more helicopters added

Comment

• [QUOTE=Mike;49045]"I applied and did not receive an answer"

We have received 10500 applications so far. Many from very good locations but many "duplicates". Top 3 cities with most applications are Buenos Aires, Perth and Lahore with 25-50 applications from each city. Many other cities have 10+ applications. As you for sure understand we can't send an unlimited number of receivers to the same region. All applications are saved and we may contact you again in the future if more coverage is needed. On http://www.flightradar24.com/free-ads-b-equipment there is list of areas where we currently are looking for locations.

Yeah, fair call. I should've done mine ages ago.. Fingers crossed my site is deemed suitable enough.

Comment

• HI Andres, where in Panama are you? PTY?

Originally posted by meneses24 View Post
                  Hi,

Can MLAT be enabled to the Panama Feed? (mine hehe)

Thanks

Andres

Comment

• I have the same question, what are the minimum and maximum ideal distances between receivers for MLAT to work? Anyone know the answer?

Originally posted by Belarnion View Post
                    How close can receivers be to make MLAT work? Is, say, 2km too close?

Comment

• A little search goes a long way:

All about Flightradar24.com web page and Flightradar24 apps. No discussions about feeding data to Flightradar24.

Same thread!

Comment

• Originally posted by Amper View Post
                        FR24 doesn't give any info regarding feeders
                        I believe that this is quite fair. However, if you think about my question: "...what are the feeders in Brazil that are processing MLAT data?" you'll see that is not really about feeders, anyway. It's about MLAT. I just want to understand how MLAT is doing in my region. But thanks, anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by JaissonMoro View Post
                          I think that no one have read, just redoing the question, I have this curiosity too

thanks

------------
                          F-SBMG1
                          Hi, JaissonMoro. Are you F-SBMG1 feeder? I'm F-SBLO1. Just trying to understand MLAT in our region.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jarod View Post

I am hearing all these helicopters perfectly on 124.3 MHz - Schiphol EHAA INFORMATION FIS Noordzee, so i was wondering:
                            Do you want to have these helicopters visible on the website? If so, can you check if the signals are received by the receivers or if extra receivers are required?
                            It would be awesome if we could make these helicopters visible.
                            Helicopter Transponder requirements differ across Europe, Mode S, SSR-transponder is mandatory for helicopters for IFR flight in The Netherlands. However they may not be flying high enough to be picked up by 4 MLAT stations or flying VFR. Only if they are ADS-B equipped will you see them show up of the FR24 site.

The Netherlands

A copy of the Dutch AIC B 04/04 dated 1 April 2004 is available on the EUROCONTROL website but the Dutch regulator has recently stated the following [rephrased by CAA to aid clarity]:

A (Mode S) SSR-transponder is mandatory for all aeroplanes and helicopters for IFR flight.

For VFR-flights with aeroplanes (incl microlights and TMG) and helicopters an SSR-transponder is mandatory in all classes of airspace except below 1200 ft AMSL in class G, outside the airspace above the North Sea.

From March 31, 2008 the same requirement, for Mode S transponders instead of Mode A/C transponders, will be in force for all aircraft (incl balloons, sailplanes, hang gliders etc), except in Transponder Free Zones which only will be developed for areas where ACAS-aircraft or military fighters are not active.

Currently, there is also a Transponder Mandatory Zone around Eindhoven Airport where a transponder is mandatory for all aircraft. Additionally, there are two Caution Areas where all VFR flights are strongly advised to fly only with an operational transponder and (though it is only class E airspace) are required to have 2-way radio contact if they decide to fly in that airspace without a transponder.
                            Last edited by 1090 MHz; 2014-04-14, 23:12.
                            www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

• Originally posted by 1090 MHz View Post
                              Helicopter Transponder requirements differ across Europe, Mode S, SSR-transponder is mandatory for helicopters for IFR flight in The Netherlands. However they may not be flying high enough to be picked up by 4 MLAT stations or flying VFR. Only if they are ADS-B equipped will you see them show up of the FR24 site.

That is the whole challenge! :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X