X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FL630 View Post
    Hi,
    will my aircraft show up?
    Only if it's Mode-S transponder (if equipped) data on 1090 MHz is detected by enough FR24 MLAT enabled receivers.

Comment

Originally posted by FL630 View Post
      Hi,

First post here so apologies if this has been discussed before.

MLAT coverage in my area (England) seems to be really good, I've seen aircraft descend to about 4,000ft into Cambridge airport before vanishing.

My question is, what are the requirements for an aircraft to be picked up by MLAT receivers? I fly a PA28 and a C172 in this area quite often, and will sometimes climb to levels which I've seen MLAT aircraft descend to, will my aircraft show up?
      As I understand,
      Some older aircraft are just equipped with squitters - when interrogated they respond with a squit code, ident? and altitude, but no positional data.

this squit response must be received by four or more FR24 receivers in MLAT mode for the position to be triangulated and position displayed ... problem is that FR24 do do some filtering and my not show the details of a particular plane (you see lots of GLF5s, etc due to this). They have good reasons for this policy and do not welcome discussion about it.

Comment

Originally posted by peterhr View Post
        As I understand,
        Some older aircraft are just equipped with squitters - when interrogated they respond with a squit code, ident? and altitude, but no positional data.

this squit response must be received by four or more FR24 receivers in MLAT mode for the position to be triangulated and position displayed ... problem is that FR24 do do some filtering and my not show the details of a particular plane (you see lots of GLF5s, etc due to this). They have good reasons for this policy and do not welcome discussion about it.
        Also you must have a Mode S transponder. Mode A/C transponders does not transmit the call sign of your aircraft.

Comment

Mode A/C transponders does not have the unique ModeS/Hex code. They are only identified by Squawk so it's almost completely impossible to get any aircraft information with Mode A/C transponder only.

Comment

Screenshot taken just a couple minutes ago.

271 MLAT aircraft in Europe

Comment

Package from Germany to The Netherlands: 3 days
              Package from Distribution point to a store 400 meters further: 3 days
              Hooray for "work days".

I was at work today, so the package can be picked up Monday at the local store. The store is open tomorrow, but the postal services do not deliver tomorrow.
              But not sure how the package was sent and if my information about not being able to put the antenna outside without just having a cable on the antenna side was heard.
              In that case i need to use some scissors and get some proper plugs, and those i can only get starting Tuesday when my friend's shop opens for business.

So more MLATing will have to wait a bit longer.

I hope the GPS antenna has a removable plug on the antenna side, else we have an another problem getting the cables outside. It can be done, next week the window cleaners are planned to come by, i might have to ask him to put the antenna cable from the outside to the inside. :-)

Anyone has a photo of the ADS-B and GPS antenna used with the new FR24 receiver? Mostly interested in the plugs and connections.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarod View Post
                Package from Germany to The Netherlands: 3 days
                Anyone has a photo of the ADS-B and GPS antenna used with the new FR24 receiver? Mostly interested in the plugs and connections.
                Please read the PDF links in the emails you were sent when you were asked for further information and when your application was approved.

Comment

Originally posted by FR24support View Post
                  Please read the PDF links in the emails you were sent when you were asked for further information and when your application was approved.
                  I have, its very hard to see. I guess i'll just wait when i receive the package. Maybe update the .pdf file with the diameter of the antenna plugs.

Newly build apartment buildings hardly have any room to drill some holes (not allowed) or any vent holes to get a cable outside.
                  I had to resort to removing a vent hole cover and jiggle the cables outside that way. The cables go outside with just 1cm of space to spare between some steel construction.
                  I can have it widened if all else fails, but you have to bare with me then. :-)

Comment

links to 'unboxing' videos here http://www.radarspotters.eu/forum/in...?topic=7445.15

Comment

Hallo Jarod,

try this by 1090mhz: http://www.ads-b.ca

quite clear pics. If I am correct the connector at the FR24 box side is SMA male, cable side SMA Female one end and an N Male to SMA female adaptor on the other that goes with the antenna.

For GPS, I don't know. Either it is MCX or SMB. it is magnetic mounted, please see here:

Oh and if I am correct about the cable and it is unchanged like those posted at the forum, the cable is 0.6mm in diameter, the SMA female connector is about 0.9mm. Fingers crossed it is the same for you!

Perhaps 1090Mhz or someone who has the kit can fill you in more precisely. Mystery as to why it take 3 days to reach you from 400m away!

Note: My mistake on diameters, just got up in the morning! : cable diameter 6mm, connector cross section 9mm.

Good luck.
                      Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2013-10-26, 08:34. Reason: typo

Comment

The Set-up instructions state the coax cable connections used at each end and the cable diameter - 6mm. Figure 10 shows the receiver end connections. I am away at the moment but the GPS connector is approx 6mm diameter. I'll update the instructions to make this clearer.

The receiver PDF leaflet which is sent to all applicants also states that you may need to drill a hole to bring the cables inside and to check with landlords about this and installing an external antenna.

Comment

I used Air condition instalation to bring out A/C cord and LAN cable out,as my antena and box is too far from router.
                          For official support use Contact Form

Comment

You should be Ok with 1 cm of space. The antenna connector is an SMA as seen in the attached photo. The GPS antennas connector is even smaller, so it'll fit too.

Originally posted by Jarod View Post
                            ................. the diameter of the antenna plugs.

................... The cables go outside with just 1cm of space to spare between some steel construction.
                            I can have it widened if all else fails, but you have to bare with me then. :-)
                            Attached Files
                            www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

Thanks to all above. I have sent an email and my receiver is doing a test run!
                              If all data is found correct (i have the GPS antenna inside, but with half the sky for sure in view) then i can setup the antenna on the roof next week.

It's pretty hard to explain, but in my apartment the walls are mostly glass windows, not much space to be able to drill.
                              Being able to get the cable outside is easy, but i would prefer to use the cables untouched. But else i will solder on a new plug if needed.
                              I will contact support once the antenna is on the roof about which they prefer: Use the cable as supplied or make it even shorter if possible and put on a new plug.

Thanks all for the help!

Edit:
                              I am connecting to the receiver locally to see how far ADS-B reception goes.
                              FR24 receiver and RTLSDR+ADS-B GP+ADSB# have the exact same range :-)

http://x264.nl/dump/fr24-ads-b-antenna-test-setup.jpg
                              Last edited by Jarod; 2013-10-26, 15:31.

Comment

MLAT around Schiphol now works down to 6000 feet.

What is the distance two receivers need to be away from each other in order for MLAT to work properly?

Comment

Working...
                                X