Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLAT is now live on Flightradar24

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by match14 View Post
    Is there any MLAT coverage in the Edinburgh area? I sometimes see aircraft on T-MLAT coming north from England and then disappear and some point once they have crossed the Scottish border.
    No New Receiver at Edinburgh yet, but there should be one in that area soon as Prestwick and Aberdeen have been added in the last week.

    Keep checking this thread to see when New Radar's have been added: http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...9220#post39220
    AMS Daily Fight Information: http://schiphol.dutchplanespotters.nl/

    Comment


    • #47
      Many Thanks

      Comment


      • #48
        Speedbird1960 and Match14 I believe MLAT in Edinburgh is this November,I'll find out for you as soon as I can,I know someone in Edinburgh ATC!
        Regards.
        Planes? PLANES?!! WE'VE got plenty of planes!

        Comment


        • #49
          ATC has nothing to do with MLAT coverage on FR24.

          Comment


          • #50
            Ahh,no problem!
            Planes? PLANES?!! WE'VE got plenty of planes!

            Comment


            • #51
              MLAT is not working now.

              Edit: MLAT is working now
              Last edited by trabin; 2013-10-08, 07:37.

              Comment


              • #52
                Thanks, it looks like it was a GPS timing issue.

                Comment


                • #53
                  http://x264.nl/dump/NPT36P-MLAT-2013-10-09.jpg

                  Interesting. Can anyone explain this?


                  And why are so little planes visible near Schiphol without ADS-B? There are countless receivers near Schiphol (EHAM), MLAT can't work on low altitudes?
                  Yes i read http://www.flightradar24.com/how-it-works but i still think it's possible to do MLAT even on ground level at Schiphol.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Correct. MLAT is only accurate above around 18,000ft
                    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Jarod View Post
                      http://x264.nl/dump/NPT36P-MLAT-2013-10-09.jpg

                      Interesting. Can anyone explain this?
                      MLAT is calclulations are done based on timing the speed of the light. Errors are possible and will occur more or less frequently. More receivers covering the same aircraft reduces the number of errors.

                      Originally posted by Jarod View Post
                      And why are so little planes visible near Schiphol without ADS-B? There are countless receivers near Schiphol (EHAM), MLAT can't work on low altitudes?
                      Yes i read http://www.flightradar24.com/how-it-works but i still think it's possible to do MLAT even on ground level at Schiphol.
                      MLAT can only be done with FR24-receivers and there is not a single FR24-receiver near AMS airport. The closest one is outside of Rotterdam, and you have to remember that at least 4 are needed to make MLAT work.

                      For more information about MLAT please read http://www.flightradar24.com/how-it-works and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multilateration and http://www.multilateration.com/surve...ateration.html

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Interesting Mike, i thought you guys had a lot of receivers near AMS because there are so many.
                        The Rotterdam receiver also isn't doing so well i guess, because all planes near the ground at Rotterdam Airport are picked up by the EHAM receivers.
                        At least a couple of weeks ago.

                        Does the FR24 receiver + antenna work with 15 metes of cable?
                        I live close to AMS, closest runway about 10km and furthest runway about 17km, i can see ground traffic. And i can "see" about 450km distance 360 degrees.
                        And what about lightning and static rain? I quiet often disconnect my antennas when there is the slightest chance of lightning or static rain. Especially with the cheap RTLSDRs.
                        I don't mind running 24/7 but being up high in the sky means a lot of static.
                        Last edited by Jarod; 2013-10-09, 11:32.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Jarod View Post
                          Interesting Mike, i thought you guys had a lot of receivers near AMS because there are so many.
                          The Rotterdam receiver also isn't doing so well i guess, because all planes near the ground at Rotterdam Airport are picked up by the EHAM receivers.
                          At least a couple of weeks ago.

                          Does the FR24 receiver + antenna work with 15 metes of cable?
                          I live close to AMS, closest runway about 10km and furthest runway about 17km, i can see ground traffic. And i can "see" about 450km distance 360 degrees.
                          And what about lightning and static rain? I quiet often disconnect my antennas when there is the slightest chance of lightning or static rain. Especially with the cheap RTLSDRs.
                          I don't mind running 24/7 but being up high in the sky means a lot of static.
                          strange... Cities in Netherlands isn't in the list to host FR24 receiver.

                          http://www.flightradar24.com/free-ads-b-equipment

                          Might as well just give it a shot and apply for it Jarod.
                          Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2013-10-09, 11:39. Reason: add quote

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Netherlands is not on list for mainly because we already have quite many applications. We are now waiting for answers to our "more info request".
                            We normally do not accept applications with cable lengths above 10m, but if the view is very good, you never know.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Well, for ADS-B i wouldn't even bother applying, because i see so many receivers around EHAM.
                              But since MLAT is added FR24 this really is making a difference.

                              I use RTLSDR + Virtual Radar Server to also get the ADS-B callsign flights only, once i hear them on the radio i can roughly tell where they are here at EHAM or in the TMA/RADAR area.
                              But having these MLAT planes visible at FR24 is awesome because you can click on the plane and see the photo and all information.

                              This is the reception with RTLSDR and the homemade ADS-B GP antenna: http://x264.nl/dump/vrs-2013-09-29-304.jpg (distance = km)
                              The cable length of 12-15 meters is required to get the antenna on the roof, unless there is a way to use WiFi and only a powercable to the roof is required.

                              Now i can place the antenna on about 50 meters above the ground, but if i can use WiFi with the FR24 receiver, i can also put it on a roof of about 85 meters and even closer to EHAM.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Jarod: Seems you have quite good reception. You can not perhaps give us more information and perhaps some photos of your antenna, in the Antenna thread: http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...1-best-antenna

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X