Finding an active flight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding an active flight

I give up. I can not figure out how to locate an active flight. I can be watching a flight in progress, leave the computer for a while (I paid for the premium account) when I come back to the computer the flight track is gone, entering the flight number in the search for flight or airport, all I get is the history of the flight. I paid for a year of the premium membership because it said the website would not shutdown. What am I missing here?? The premium membership is of NO use to me if the flight I am tracking disappears and I can't get it back.

Did you actually read the FAQ? It sounds to me the aircraft is simply now over oceans, or outside the coverage area.

Depending on your area if the plane goes out of range of any of the ground receivers, it will stop tracking online. It doesn't 'guess' tracks of aircraft between oceans or radar sites on the ground. If the data stream is interupted, so will your flight selection be.

Premium will not log you out and give you the 'session timeout' message. But it certainly wont magically make planes trackable for the entire duration if it wasn't beforehand.
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

yes I did read the FAQ

Originally posted by searay View Post
      I give up. I can not figure out how to locate an active flight. I can be watching a flight in progress, leave the computer for a while (I paid for the premium account) when I come back to the computer the flight track is gone, entering the flight number in the search for flight or airport, all I get is the history of the flight. I paid for a year of the premium membership because it said the website would not shutdown. What am I missing here?? The premium membership is of NO use to me if the flight I am tracking disappears and I can't get it back.
      Sorry to upset you, I did read the FAQ but I must have missed the part where it would not track if the plane was over an ocean. I thought the transponder radio would reach what ever tracks it no matter where it was.

Comment

Sorry to upset you, I did read the FAQ but I must have missed the part where it would not track if the plane was over an ocean. I thought the transponder radio would reach what ever tracks it no matter where it was.
        Searay

Perhaps you didnt understand or misunderstood the information in the FAQ. It's made pretty clear in the FAQ from the following two sections alone that at this point in time we only have coverage due to the many hundreds (perhaps thousands these days) of uploaders around the world and also goes on to discuss the FAA feed;

"Why don't you have coverage in my area?

Flightradar24 only have coverage in areas where someone has installed an ADS-B receiver and feeds his/her data into Flightradar24. If there are no connected ABS-B receivers in an area, then there is no coverage in that area.

How can I increase coverage in my area?

Coverage on Flightradar24.com is dependent of flight data from private ADS-B receivers around the world. If you want to improve coverage in your area, you have to buy an ADS-B receiver. If you already have an ADS-B receiver you can share your flight data with Flightradar24.com"

It also explains the difference between FAA data and the uploaded data from the receivers around the world. There are no uploaders in rowboats on the oceans of the world (although I have been asked to volunteer but up until now have declined). Any limitaion in the continually increasing world coverage is due to our receivers' set-up and their locations, not in the transmissions from the aircraft. As Oblivian has also pointed out to you the receivers are 'ground based.'

The map and information under "coverage" in the "About"/"how it works" section also bear this out.

The Premium service is a great addition that gives access to many enhanced features including, as you have (I think) eluded to, the fact that you dont need to continually refresh the map display and FR24 are continually improving all aspects of the system/s for our (and your) enjoyment and as uploaders we are committed (some say I should have been committed years ago ) to improving our set-ups for everyone who uses the site.

Hope this helps you to understand the site.
        Regards,
        Gregg (radar T-YSSY4)
        Last edited by fungus; 2013-08-02, 16:45.
        YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Thanks Gregg.
          I guess I am still in the dark here. The flight I was tracking was in fact over the Atlantic. However, I could see numerous other planes in the very same area, and even farther out to sea, but the one I was tracking disappeared.

Comment

Originally posted by fungus View Post
            we only have coverage due to the many hundreds (perhaps thousands these days) of uploaders around the world
            Looks like on Friday, there were around 1,000 (-/+ 50) feeders online uploading to FR24.
            Last edited by SoCalBrian; 2013-08-03, 07:16.
            Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
            [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBrian View Post
              Looks like on Friday, there were around 1,000 (-/+ 50) feeders online uploading to FR24.
              Brian,
              thanks for correcting me on that mate, I wrote that very late last night and wasnt 100% certain (or accurate, it would seem).

Regards,
              Gregg
              Last edited by fungus; 2013-08-03, 09:04.
              YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Recount: Feeders Radar Codes seen from Friday to Sunday.
                265 - F-xxxx feeders
                51 - N-xxxx Feeders
                975 - T-xxxx Feeders
                1 - NET2
                -------------------
                Total: 1292
                Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
                [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

Thanks Gregg.
                  I guess I am still in the dark here. The flight I was tracking was in fact over the Atlantic. However, I could see numerous other planes in the very same area, and even farther out to sea, but the one I was tracking disappeared.
                  There is a very good description on what can be found on FR24
                  The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.

and

and the best summary of the two pages is

If an aircraft you are looking for is not visible on Flightradar24 it either does not have correct transponder or it's out of Flightradar24 coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBrian View Post
                    Recount: Feeders Radar Codes seen from Friday to Sunday.
                    265 - F-xxxx feeders
                    51 - N-xxxx Feeders
                    975 - T-xxxx Feeders
                    1 - NET2
                    -------------------
                    Total: 1292
                    1292? That is nothing compared to RB24, they have 10,000 according to their ads.

Comment

1292? That is nothing compared to RB24, they have 10,000 according to their ads.

If you believe RB24 have 10,000 feeders, then please believe me when I say "Pig can fly"

pigs-will-fly_980531i.jpg
                      F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

Just counted again tonight with updated info.

Recount: Feeders Radar Codes seen from Friday to Monday.
                        268 - F-xxxx feeders
                        52 - N-xxxx Feeders
                        1015 - T-xxxx Feeders
                        1 - NET2
                        -------------------
                        Total: 1336
                        Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu

Comment

Working...
                        X