F-WSSS1 Off for 1 week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Birdie View Post
    But, I had the unfortunate opportunity to witness something other T- feeders have been complaining about.
    Only FR24 receivers can be used to MLAT and MLAT needs stable and not too much delayed data so......

Poul
    T-EKCH5: Raspberry Pi 4-B (Buster) + FlightAware Pro Stick Plus + FlightAware 1090MHz Bandpass Filter Dark Blue + A3-ADS-B Antenna

Comment

Originally posted by attigliano View Post
      Only FR24 receivers can be used to MLAT and MLAT needs stable and not too much delayed data so......

Poul
      there is no Mlat here.
      F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

there is no Mlat here.
        I know But needs less PC power to select between F and T than were in world
        T-EKCH5: Raspberry Pi 4-B (Buster) + FlightAware Pro Stick Plus + FlightAware 1090MHz Bandpass Filter Dark Blue + A3-ADS-B Antenna

Comment

But, I had the unfortunate opportunity to witness something other T- feeders have been complaining about : F-feeders sidelining T-feeders.

T-WSSS4 was feeding the network happily and I can see all the planes that T-WSSS4 captured.

When I powered up the new FR24 receiver ( F-WSSL1 ), after a few minutes - T-WSSS4 losing plane one after another to F-WSSL1.

Even the plane where I clicked on and the left side panel show Radar = T-WSSS4 - suddenly was lost the plane to F-WSSL1.

Eventually, T-WSSS4 lost all the planes it had been tracking to F-WSSL1.
          Ah, but you still get the same nice warm feeling inside that you're contributing to the greater good of the community, even if the satisfaction of making your own radar work has been taken away from you.

Comment

Yes, I am running 2 receivers together ! The new receiver arrived.

But, I had the unfortunate opportunity to witness something other T- feeders have been complaining about : F-feeders sidelining T-feeders.

T-WSSS4 was feeding the network happily and I can see all the planes that T-WSSS4 captured.

When I powered up the new FR24 receiver ( F-WSSL1 ), after a few minutes - T-WSSS4 losing plane one after another to F-WSSL1.

Even the plane where I clicked on and the left side panel show Radar = T-WSSS4 - suddenly was lost the plane to F-WSSL1.

I feed the 2 receivers with the same antenna via a Mini-Circuit 2-Ports OUT Splitter. I switched the Output Ports for the FR24 receiver and the DVB-T Dongle = same result.
            Oh? so long there is good coverage, codes really doesn't matter. What matters is there's planes shown. Remember sirsteve? he's a bit more stressful when there is no coverage at all at WSSS.

there is no Mlat here.
            One day mate... one day. I really hope there's MLAT around WSSS/South Johor/Batam area, due to the high volume of planes (and that 3rd runway by 2020?). If not, MLAT at VHHH would do me happy too.

Originally posted by peterhr View Post
            Ah, but you still get the same nice warm feeling inside that you're contributing to the greater good of the community, even if the satisfaction of making your own radar work has been taken away from you.
            You can always use basestation/Planeplotter to look at a/c from your receiver. Personally it is much more accurate than FR24 as there is no time lag between PC and server as of FR24.
            Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2013-08-31, 08:47. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by peterhr View Post
              Yes ! I am still getting the satisfactions of providing a long range into the open South China Sea ( NOT West Philippines Sea ), even though the F-feeder is robbing my T-feeder's data.
              F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

Originally posted by sirsteve View Post
                Could use that dial a service, but I could miss out on a B787, lol will try to catch up with you when im over there, Sept 1st till the 8th.....
                Are you already in WSSS ? How to contact you ?

Comment

Originally posted by sirsteve View Post
                  Could use that dial a service, but I could miss out on a B787, lol will try to catch up with you when im over there, Sept 1st till the 8th.....
                  Are you now in WSSS ? How to contact you ? Which hotel are you staying in ?

Comment

Yes, I am running 2 receivers together ! The new receiver arrived.

Birdie, analyzing your experience, the time stamp for the dongle will always be discarded by the server because of the difference in the time stamp interval. The dongle time stamp is always 5 seconds behind the time stamp on the FR24 box because the upload interval for everyone except FR24 boxes is 5 seconds, where as the FR24 box sends data every second. I assume you are running NTP on your computer to sync your system clock with GMT.

It's also likely that the reported signal strength between the dongle and FR24 box is different because Gunter tweaked the miniADSB front end of the FR24 box.

As an experiment turn the RTL AGC OFF on the dongle. Turning the RTL AGC OFF will increase your reported signal strength for the contacts.

Perhaps you will discover that the T-XXXXX will do a better job jousting with the F-XXXXX.

My closest neighbor with a FR24 box is about 400 miles away so we don't compete but compliment each other. You're on the cutting edge so thanks for the information.

John

T-RPVD1

The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.
                    Last edited by paradiselost; 2013-09-05, 21:39. Reason: Added NTP reference

Comment

Originally posted by paradiselost View Post

As an experiment turn the RTL AGC OFF on the dongle. Turning the RTL AGC OFF will increase your reported signal strength for the contacts.

http://fr24.com/8.91,122.99/7
                      RTL AGC is already OFF.

F-WSSL1 totally robbed all T-WSSS4's planes. Not even a single plane is left untouched.

Comment

RTL AGC is already OFF.

F-WSSL1 totally robbed all T-WSSS4's planes. Not even a single plane is left untouched.
                        I checked both F-WSSL1 (32 planes) http://fr24.com/0.77,107.03/6 and T-WSSS4 (3 planes). Theoretically if you took the FR24 box off line you should see the number of planes sent to FR24 you did before. If not there has been something that interferes with the dongle. Whether it is the USB connections or the beta program, something is wrong for performance to drop through the floor. The RTL1090 beta 1.2 is known to go south after being on for several days.

Other planespotters on here who run setups similar to the FR24 box with FPGA Based decoders report that they are able to track more aircraft with their boxes using the latest firmware upgrade.

Dongles will never be able to compete efficiency-wise but the improvement is not as much as your 90% difference between the dongle and the box.

Birdie, those of us who through circumstance who must rely on dongles appreciate your investigative efforts to help the group be the best we can be.

John

T-RPVD1

The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.
                        Last edited by paradiselost; 2013-09-06, 06:44. Reason: added link to F-WSSl1

Comment

With the FR24 box OFF, I can see lots of planes on the rtl1090 "list" panel and all the planes shown on Fr24.com. When FR24 box is turned on, planes captured by T-WSSS4 started losing to F-WSSL1 - one by one ( while rtl1090 still showed the same number of planes in the List ).

I don't think it is the interference thing but ...

I am going to do more things to the Dongle - such as putting a Ferrite Cores over both ends of the USB cable ( I use a Good Quality SCREENED Cable ).

I am also going to screen and ground the Dongle - to prevent interference.

The Dongle will be my "reserve unit" if my main feeder box fails.

Comment

Birdie are you running the NTP time sync on that computer? If not you need too.

John

Comment

Originally posted by paradiselost View Post
                              I checked both F-WSSL1 (32 planes) http://fr24.com/0.77,107.03/6 and T-WSSS4 (3 planes).

http://fr24.com/9.12,123.45/7
                              A picture replaces a thousand words.

7 sept only 4 ac on FR24 by T-WSSS4 despitr RTL1090 hv 41 ac.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X