Fokker 100 impossible speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fokker 100 impossible speed?

Hi, I'm a total rookie here, so apologies if this question has an obvious answer.

I've been tracking a Swiss Fokker 100 from Birmingham to Zurich, and on crossing the English Channel, the speed registered was 619mph. However, maximum cruising speed of the aircraft seems to be 525mph.

So was it going well beyond the maximum, or perhaps there's some discrepancy somewhere?

Thanks,

Ken

Originally posted by northstar View Post
    Hi, I'm a total rookie here, so apologies if this question has an obvious answer.

I've been tracking a Swiss Fokker 100 from Birmingham to Zurich, and on crossing the English Channel, the speed registered was 619mph. However, maximum cruising speed of the aircraft seems to be 525mph.

So was it going well beyond the maximum, or perhaps there's some discrepancy somewhere?

Thanks,

Ken
    Ken,

Interesting observation. You're right about the maximum cruise speed (see link below) and I cant explain the discrepency other than to say it may have been an anomoly or you may have seen 619 Kph, not 619 Mph as those Rolls Royce Tays would have spun themselves clean off the aircraft long before those kind of speeds. Even if empty I couldnt imagine any pilot who enjoyed living winding her up to about 20% above the max. Just out of interest I've been trying to find the never exceed speed but havent had any luck so far. I'm also checking to see if any have had any form of upgrade that might explain it.

Regards,
    Gregg

I have no idea if the following programs ever got off the ground;

Development of a proposed Fokker 100 upgrade will be partially undertaken in Brazil following an agreement to establish an aerostructures manufacturing facility in Anapolis.
    Last edited by fungus; 2013-07-03, 10:56.
    YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Originally posted by fungus View Post
      Ken,

Interesting observation. You're right about the maximum cruise speed (see link below) and I cant explain the discrepency other than to say it may have been an anomoly or you may have seen 619 Kph, not 619 Mph as those Rolls Royce Tays would have spun themselves clean off the aircraft long before those kind of speeds. Even if empty I couldnt imagine any pilot who enjoyed living winding her up to about 20% above the max. Just out of interest I've been trying to find the never exceed speed but havent had any luck so far. I'm also checking to see if any have had any form of upgrade that might explain it.

Regards,
      Gregg

I have no idea if the following programs ever got off the ground;

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...-100ng-354445/
      Hi Gregg,

Thanks for that. Yeah, bit of a strange one this. It was definitely in mph, which gobsmacked me totally! I've also seen this with other aircraft, so it's an interesting one.

ken

Comment

Working...
      X