Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple filters, use 'OR' instead of 'AND'

Hi there,

To speak in database terms, is it possible to use multiple filters with OR instead of AND?
    Now, if I select our local airport, GRQ, I get all the in/out traffic for GRQ, that's OK.
    BUT, I also want to track a flight that's bound for an other airport, but I just want specifically that airplane, the PH-HZF in this case.

When I enter registration PH-HZF, it finds 1 plane, that's good.
    But when I add GRQ for airport, the PH-HZF is gone, because I think the filter uses 'AND'.
    So when filtering on GRQ and PH-HZF, you get none, cause PH-HZF is not bound for GRQ.

If the filter should use 'OR', it would filter for all the traffic from GRQ and you'll see the PH-HZF too.

Don't know if you guys get the problem I'm trying to explain?

Thanks in forward for your answer(s)!
    Last edited by aviationnlnz; 2013-06-16, 11:49.

I have just tried setting a 'Filter' for GRQ , then opened another tab in my browser and set a 'Filter' for PH-HSG as the Aircraft you quoted is not active.

This worked fine for me as one filter setting is not cancelling the other one out.
    AMS Daily Fight Information: http://schiphol.dutchplanespotters.nl/

Comment

Thanks for looking! It's PH-HZF ;-)
      With GRQ and PH-HZF you should see 2 planes, a transavia (PH-HZF) and ryanair (outbound GRQ).

Edit: Multiple tabs is indeed a solution, but not a great one. It's better to have them on 1 screen (also while I have an old computer, 2 screens eats resources like it's candy)

Edit2: What was I smoking, I mean PH-HZF. But, that doesn't change the problem. Still can't see both planes.
      Last edited by aviationnlnz; 2013-06-16, 11:51.

Comment

I have found PH-HZF its on approach to GRQ, but will not show with the 'Filter because the wrong destination Airport (RTM) is showing.

The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.

Comment

Yep, indeed, cause it's going via GRQ but it's designated to RTM.
          That's why I wanted to use both filters, airport GRQ and regi PH-HZF, so I could see both traffic bound for/to GRQ ánd the PH-HZF (bound for RTM).
          But that doesn't work, which is the problem I'm trying to point out in this topic.
          I don't want the filters to rule eachother out, but to apply both filters individually like an OR instead of an AND.
          When you spoke about your extra tab for another filter, I thought you understood the problem. No I'm in doubt about that.

(PH-HZF has landed meanwhile, just in case you wanted to test)

Comment

The only way you could get around this is add two 'Airport Filters' like below without adding an 'Aircraft Filter', you can add them on the same Map (Tab)

Active filters
            In/out: RTM
            In/out: GRQ
            Last edited by speedbird1960; 2013-06-16, 12:52.

Comment

Hm, that's too bad. But thanks for your help, mate!

Comment

Originally posted by aviationnlnz View Post
                Hm, that's too bad. But thanks for your help, mate!
                I have just tried it with Two Airports + one Aircraft and it works on this one.

TRA396
                Airline: Transavia
                Flight: HV396
                To: Rotterdam, Rotterdam (RTM)
                Aircraft: Boeing 737-8EH (B738)
                ETA: 13:38 UTC (in 00:40)
                Reg: PH-GUB

The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.

Active filters
                In/out: RTM
                In/out: GRQ
                Reg: PHGUB

Comment

That indeed works, cause the PH-GUB is bound for RTM. But, you can't see the two planes that you see when you select GRQ only (RYR7572 and TRA401).
                  So, it's just not possible, which is in my perspective a [edit: missing feature] for the filter. In that view, that it's using AND instead of OR.

Shorthand, it uses this:

SELECT * FROM all_traffic WHERE airport = 'XXX' AND airplane_reg = 'XX-XXX'
                  instead of
                  SELECT * FROM all_traffic WHERE airport = 'XXX' OR airplane_reg = 'XX-XXX'

It should always use 'OR', for every filter. I can't think of a situation where you would need 'AND'.
                  Edit: There are some situations where AND is useful, like altitude AND airport to see only planes close to a specific airport.
                  So, an 'AND/OR' option would be nice. But maybe such a filter option would be too complicated for the average FR24 user. :/
                  Hm..

p/s
                  When entering GRQ and RTM and PH-GUB,it probably uses (just an untested guess):
                  SELECT * FROM all_traffic WHERE (airport = 'GRQ' OR airport = 'RTM') AND airplane_reg = 'PH-GUB'
                  Last edited by aviationnlnz; 2013-06-16, 13:39.

Comment

Working...
                  X