This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lowlevel View Post
    Anyone knows where I can find the full changelog for the Android app? It is nowhere to be found...
    As I wrote in the other thread there is no change log apart from what has been posted in the thread, and what has been posted on the market with every release.

Comment

• Ok Mike,

then I will ask flat out: what are the differences between version 2 and version 3?

It is nice to know the changes if you are pushed to to install the new (v3) app. Since lot of people report that version 3 is quite slow and buggy, my hesitation is normal.

thanks

Comment

• I must be suffering from amnesia, as i'm sure I contributed to lowlevel's question with respect to the change log and now cannot find my posting. "confused"

Comment

• Originally posted by lowlevel View Post
          Ok Mike,

then I will ask flat out: what are the differences between version 2 and version 3?

It is nice to know the changes if you are pushed to to install the new (v3) app. Since lot of people report that version 3 is quite slow and buggy, my hesitation is normal.

thanks
          Version 3 is a complete rewrite of the code + some new features. I really can't remember what was added in what version. I recommend to read this thread and/or our facebook to find notes. There has been some complains but 10-15 complains out of about 55.000 users is not so much I think. Most of the people with problems have older phones. On newer phones the app is now faster.

Originally posted by AIR_UK View Post
          I must be suffering from amnesia, as i'm sure I contributed to lowlevel's question with respect to the change log and now cannot find my posting. "confused"
          There was another thread with the same questions that now has been removed.

Comment

• Yeah, thanks guys.

I read your answers yesterday and decided to install the new version. After all, complete rewrite sounds very nice and such work always deserves at least some testing. (At least from the guys who love the given app)

So, my worries were if it had become too "modern" and it won't work well with my petty Xperia X8 (I know I know - it's time to upgrade it). Gladly can say that not only it is not slow but it is working quite OK. Frankly, I cannot see any difference against the old version.

So keep up the good work guys, this is one of the most awesome apps in existence. Thanks again. And Mike - if you need someone with a petty device and pretty solid knowledge in software engineering to test things, please drop me a line.

best regards
            lowlevel

Comment

• Originally posted by morski View Post
              No option to change the colour of the planes anymore, looks terrible in yellow now, please bring back the option to have the planes in other colours.
              +1

Yellow planes above yellow streets?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                Version 3 is a complete rewrite of the code + some new features. I really can't remember what was added in what version. I recommend to read this thread and/or our facebook to find notes. There has been some complains but 10-15 complains out of about 55.000 users is not so much I think. Most of the people with problems have older phones. On newer phones the app is now faster.
                It does seem to be getting more negative reviews than good reviews on the market at the moment Mike, It would be good if you could make version 2.0 available once again for those that have got 'older phones' (mine is less than a year old but it's still buggy, my daughters is still being produced and it's buggy on that as well). Gotta be honest I'm a little bit disappointed with the "bury our heads in the sand" attitude coming across now. Is anyone looking at the reason why the app won't play nicely with older phones? Or is just going to be a case that users of those phones now have an app thats next to useless? Some of the phones on the Market that people are reporting problems with are not exactly low spec or what I would class as particularly old;

Samsung Galaxy Spica
                HTC Wildfire
                HTC Desire HD
                HTC Desire S
                HTC Desire
                Samsung Galaxy 3 (Mine)
                HTC Sensation 4G
                Samsung Galaxy S2
                HTC Hero
                Sony Tablet S
                Samsung Galaxy Nexus

All of those are listed on the market with recent negative reviews, looking at that list it does seem to be a problem with Samsung & HTC phones, I'll also add Samsung Galaxy Mini to that list which is my daughters phone. Surely someone can work out what's causing the problem on these phones and not just write them off as older phones with a now useless version on them?
                Last edited by morski; 2012-03-20, 11:12.

Comment

• Originally posted by morski View Post
                  It does seem to be getting more negative reviews than good reviews on the market at the moment Mike, It would be good if you could make version 2.0 available once again for those that have got 'older phones' (mine is less than a year old but it's still buggy, my daughters is still being produced and it's buggy on that as well). Gotta be honest I'm a little bit disappointed with the "bury our heads in the sand" attitude coming across now. Is anyone looking at the reason why the app won't play nicely with older phones? Or is just going to be a case that users of those phones now have an app thats next to useless? Some of the phones on the Market that people are reporting problems with are not exactly low spec or what I would class as particularly old;

Samsung Galaxy Spica
                  HTC Wildfire
                  HTC Desire HD
                  HTC Desire S
                  HTC Desire
                  Samsung Galaxy 3 (Mine)
                  HTC Sensation 4G
                  Samsung Galaxy S2
                  HTC Hero
                  Sony Tablet S
                  Samsung Galaxy Nexus

All of those are listed on the market with recent negative reviews, looking at that list it does seem to be a problem with Samsung & HTC phones, I'll also add Samsung Galaxy Mini to that list which is my daughters phone. Surely someone can work out what's causing the problem on these phones and not just write them off as older phones with a now useless version on them?
                  We have not buried our head. As I have posted several times, there will be new updates released soon. And as I wrote to you before you cannot satisfy all people, some want new version every day, some want to wait years for a 100% stable version, we have chosen something between. The problems related to speed are only coming from users with old phones, so there hasn't been any speed problems from phones like Galaxy Nexus or Galaxy S2.

Actually the rating of the app has gone up from about 3.9 to 4.2 since the release of version 3, so much users appreciate the new update, and we have absolutely no reason to roll back to the old version.

I can also add that we only count and monitor when we get reports on e-mail or on the forum. Reviews like "it doesn't work" or "no planes" or "it crashed" on Android Market are not helping us in any way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                    We have not buried our head. As I have posted several times, there will be new updates released soon. And as I wrote to you before you cannot satisfy all people, some want new version every day, some want to wait years for a 100% stable version, we have chosen something between. The problems related to speed are only coming from users with old phones, so there hasn't been any speed problems from phones like Galaxy Nexus or Galaxy S2.

Actually the rating of the app has gone up from about 3.9 to 4.2 since the release of version 3, so much users appreciate the new update, and we have absolutely no reason to roll back to the old version.

I can also add that we only count and monitor when we get reports on e-mail or on the forum. Reviews like "it doesn't work" or "no planes" or "it crashed" on Android Market are not helping us in any way.
                    Hi Mike,
                    Thanks for the quick reply and whilst I do understand all the points you've made and there are saying you have new updates coming soon and I do genuinely appreciate all the work that goes on behind the scenes to even make these apps in the first place. All that said, I still feel that users of these older phones are still getting a bit of a bad deal from yourselves at the moment.

These phones that you are referring to as old phones in some cases aren't that old at all, most of the phones are still being sold in the shops in the UK! So in effect you are saying that flight radar from version 3 onwards will only work on the latest Android phones with plenty of processor power as it stands at the moment? That certainly seems to be the case with HTC & Samsung anyway. Problem is there is nothing on the Android Market to warn users of these so called older phones that they might experience problems if they upgrade from version 2, and at the moment there is no option for individual users to roll back to version 2 unless they had the sense to back it up before upgrading.

I'm not saying roll it back to version 2.0 for everyone, but what might be a good idea is to make version 2.0 available on the market for those users that have upgraded to version 3.0.2 and now find themselves with a version that's pretty much useless on their phones. At least until you can identify the problem that's causing the app to have problems on some of the HTC & Samsung (and perhaps others) phones.

Just my thoughts on the subject anyway, the problem with version 3.0.2 is when you install it on a phone that it don't play nice with, it really is close to useless, whereas version 2.0 seemed to work ok.

Ultimately I hope you can find out what's causing the problems on these phones so we can all use the latest version without problems

Comment

• Hi.

Has Version 3.0.2 got 'Animate Aircraft' and if it has, can it switched off as this would help with CPU usage.

Also having callsigns switched on and using 'Satellite Map' mode uses more processor power.
                      AMS Daily Fight Information: http://schiphol.dutchplanespotters.nl/

Comment

• Originally posted by speedbird1960 View Post
                        Hi.

Has Version 3.0.2 got 'Animate Aircraft' and if it has, can it switched off as this would help with CPU usage.

Also having callsigns switched on and using 'Satellite Map' mode uses more processor power.
                        Hi Speedbird 1960,
                        It has the options of Realtime, 4 seconds & 8 seconds for the updates. Seems to make no real difference which option is selected on the 2 phones I've tried it on (Samsung Galaxy 3 & Samsung Galaxy Mini). It's still very slow and jumpy to move the map around, and there seems to be a significant delay with the planes updating, it runs about 30 seconds to a minute behind version 2.0 and the free version when viewing the planes positions. Callsigns switched on seems to make no difference, using satellite view slows it all down a little bit more.

In version 2 callsigns switched on or satellite view enabled make no real difference at all so it does seem this version is a lot more processor intensive. If someone could work out what is causing this heavy processor use version 3 would be near perfect, it's a shame it's not working well on the slightly lower spec phones.

Comment

• Hi there, just new to this product and forum and was looking for some guidance. Originally installed this app on my Android Tablet when I was running Android 2.3 and everything appeared to be working OK. I then upgraded to Android 4.0 and now the app will not work as it says that it is not compatible with my device. Is this a known issue ie is it because I have upgraded my Android? If so, will a compatible version be issued?
                          Thanks in advance of any replies. Cheers.

Comment

• Just to add to the debate...
                            First though, thanks to the people that provided this software.

Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9001
                            Firmware 2.3.3
                            Flight radar Pro V 3.0.2

Application crashes when FILTER is pressed. Crash report sent to Google just in case it's their issue.

Gaz

Comment

• I'd like to add my six pen'orth to the fans of this app who are cursed with an "older" phone and who find that it's no longer functional, and to plead for version 2 to be made available to those of us who have paid for the app but can no loger use it. Pretty please....

Comment

• Application also crashes for me when FILTER is pressed:

Acer Liquid MT
                                Android 2.3.6
                                FlightRadar Pro 3.0.2

Comment

Working...
                                X