Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How accurate is the flightradar web?

Hi there.

I am just wondering how accurate flightradar web really is. I working home office and i am very close to the inbound traffic for FRA.

Watching flightradar and seeing/hearing what is happening over my head not always seems to match.

Sometimes I have planes visible that or not on the rader, and sometimes their position seems to be off.

Any thoughts?

Helmut

Keep in mind FR24 does not show all aircraft, so it is always possible you see them in real and not displayed on FR24.

Comment

FR24 is very accurate but only in terms of ADS-B transponder equipped aircrafts(yellow color). FAA traffic is slightly delayed (up to 5 minutes) due to FAA regulations . In the "How it wors" section and FAQ there is an explanation why no all of the aircrafts are visible on the map. Hopfly this will change soon becuse there is a plans to implement MLAT feature in certain areas . Btw is there any news about MLAT ?
      Last edited by mazgaj; 2013-02-05, 17:43.

Comment

I don't know how accurate it is supposed to be, but at the moment, 07:04UTC 6 Feb, I'm watching Singapore Airlines Cargo flight SQC7360 from Schiphol (AMS) to Copenhagen (CPH) as it crosses the deserts of UAE.

Comment

Originally posted by Wally3178 View Post
          I don't know how accurate it is supposed to be, but at the moment, 07:04UTC 6 Feb, I'm watching Singapore Airlines Cargo flight SQC7360 from Schiphol (AMS) to Copenhagen (CPH) as it crosses the deserts of UAE.
          Wally the routes come from a manual database, not the aircraft and can sometimes be inaccurate for a variety of reasons. The pilot may enter incorrect flight number/callsigns causing wrong route info to appear. Cargo flights are particularly difficult to pin down as they often dont change those callsigns on different routes. The vast majority can be relied on and there are means to notify the poor guys in the 'engine room' of changes to routes.

Any of the following data can be corrected here as long as it is known to be correct;

The map itself is extremely accurate as outlined with only a handfull of seconds delay for data from most radar receivers and 5 minute delay on FAA feed aircraft.

Gregg
          Last edited by fungus; 2013-02-06, 07:28.
          YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

I understand. But as an example of accuracy, my example stands because ultimately, it is an inaccuracy regardless of who in the end is responsible. I have seen quite a large number of these and I knew the position of the aircraft was accurate so it had to be the data from the aircraft that was either wrong or outdated. The big task authorities have ahead of them is educating flight crews because if ADS-B is to be taken seriously, then it has to be accurate, not a bit accurate or mostly accurate but 100% accurate 100% of the time.

Wal
            YDMB

Comment

ADS-B is 100% accurate. Just as mentioned before route is NOT transmitted by the aircraft. So if FR24 has an old database of callsigns, it doesn't make ADS-B inaccurate. ATC have 100% update lists of callsigns.

Comment

Wally3178 you right but please note that ATC in most countries do not relay on ADS-B data as ADS-B is not obligatory and they still using classic radars system to track the aircraft. That's why the airlines and pilots don't care much about ADS-B transponders and in some cases data may not be 100% accurate (for example one SAS A340 permanently transmitting wrong speed, one Kuwait Arlines aircraft permanently transmitting wrong heading...etc). Also some aircraft's using not certify transponders. In the future in NexGen ATC systems based ONLY on ADS-B, the data transmitted by all aircraft's should be 100% accurate.
                Last edited by mazgaj; 2013-02-06, 09:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Wally3178 View Post
                  I understand. But as an example of accuracy, my example stands because ultimately, it is an inaccuracy regardless of who in the end is responsible. I have seen quite a large number of these and I knew the position of the aircraft was accurate so it had to be the data from the aircraft that was either wrong or outdated. The big task authorities have ahead of them is educating flight crews because if ADS-B is to be taken seriously, then it has to be accurate, not a bit accurate or mostly accurate but 100% accurate 100% of the time.

Wal
                  YDMB
                  Wally this may clear things up for you;

Quote Originally Posted by Eanor View Post
                  Hello, I'm new, and fascinated. I looked for but did not find an answer to the following question: Why is it that sometimes I will see a flight heading from, for example, from north heading south, and the information on the flight will say that it is flying from Houston to Minneapolis-- in the exact opposite direction that it apparently is going?

"That situation can also arise if the pilot/s dont change the callsign for the return journey and so our database will show the incorrect information and for the reasons Oblivian has outlined. They can also at times enter an incorrect or incomplete callsign into the ADS-B transponder on the aircraft. Here in Australia ATC (Air Traffic Control) are now requiring pilots to fix any discrepencies in their callsigns in the lead-up to December this year requiring mandatory ADS-B fitment and use for all aircraft engaged in RPT (Regular Public Transport) operations flying at or above FL290 (29,000ft) and so the data in the to/from field should be correct in most cases. As time goes by this requirement will filter throughout the world. See this link if interested in that issue; http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...e-mandate-2013

When I started using my basestation receiver back in 2008 I also witnessed an aircraft here on departure from Sydney whose pilot must have been having a bad day on the flightdeck. As the callsign he had entered a rather vulgar (and unrepeatable on here) name for the female anatomy into the transponder and it was broadcasting to anyone who had a receiver at the time. Perhaps a salutory warning to all pilots to use caution when entering data into the transponder callsign field."

Taken from this thread, post No 3;

Dont panic, it will ultimately improve as far as reliability is concerned but as I've tried to point out, it is to a large extent outside the hands of FR24 to do anything about. Here in Australia Air Services Australia are looking after the fitment, regulation and policing of ADS-B technology, not FR24. Also routes change on a seasonal basis and for a wide variety of other reasons which the poor guys updating the database on a voluntary basis need to try to keep up with. Believe me Air Services Australia and many other authorities around the world are taking this technology VERY seriously. What you are seeing is the 'phasing in period' since it's a massively expensive exercise for airlines and aircraft owners. Teething problems will and do occur. I'm buggered if I know what more you want or what more I or anybody else can say on the matter.

If you take a look at my posts on the following thread you may get an idea of other reasons why aircraft may not be where you'd expect to see them and FR24 has nothing to do with these, nor does 'accuracy' even enter the equation;

All about Flightradar24.com web page and Flightradar24 apps. No discussions about feeding data to Flightradar24.

In that article I discuss not only how an aircraft gets from A to B but why it may not be where it's expected, e.g. diversions for whatever reason i.e. due to weather, medical emergency, technical issue etc not to mention whether the active runway is long enough. Technical difficulties can present a real challenge as they have to organise an airport which either has or they can arrange support for the issue. As MLAT is introduced you'll see even more aircraft who's routes cant be added to the database for reason of no known (at the time by us) flight plan and all the VFR (Visual Flight Rules ) aircraft displaying 1200 squawks (here in Australia only). Some degree of this is actually occuring now. So you cant 'blame' anyone in particular for perceived or real 'inaccuracies.'

Regards,
                  Gregg
                  Last edited by fungus; 2013-02-11, 01:20. Reason: update
                  YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Originally posted by DF7ZS View Post
                    Hi there.

I am just wondering how accurate flightradar web really is. I working home office and i am very close to the inbound traffic for FRA.

Watching flightradar and seeing/hearing what is happening over my head not always seems to match.

Sometimes I have planes visible that or not on the rader, and sometimes their position seems to be off.

Any thoughts?

Helmut
                    Helmut,

Some older aircraft have the older and less accurate nav sytems in the cockpit and a variety of transponder types. Sme of these wont show on the map at all. The guys at FR24 have done a great deal of work to make the map as accurate as possible but sometimes outside factors can influence what you see on the map. Dodgey signals can have a marked impact. Whilst it can seem quite funny watching a large jet land on the grass behind the terminal at FRA or in the carpark at LAX it is an issue not necessarily to do with FR24 or their software/hardware, and regardless I'm sure they'll continue to work at making this the very best flight tracking sytem in the world.

The team have also had to contend with our various receiver units/software and all their inherent glitches which over time have been overcome. It's as near as f.... is to swearing now as far as accuracy is concerned (Admin you can edit that bit out but in all honesty I think it will be remembered above everything else we could say on the issue).

Regards,
                    Gregg
                    Last edited by fungus; 2013-02-11, 01:23.

Comment

Earlier this year I tracked my girlfriend on a Airasia flight from Japan to Bangkok and a very short time after it showed that the flight had landed at Don Mueang airport she sent me a message to she has landed and is inside the terminal so I know that it is pretty accurate but with this technology how did Malaysia airlines MH370 go missing if Flightradar 24 can track flights?

Comment

Flightradar 24 did track MH370 untill plane stopped sending signal. Playback http://www.flightradar24.com/data/pi...81a27/#2d81a27
                        For official support use Contact Form

Comment

Originally posted by DF7ZS View Post
                          Hi there.

Any thoughts?

Helmut
                          Next time, if you see a "flying car", please screen shot it and tip us off.
                          F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

Birdie,
                            Screenshot of the flying car with ADS-B was posted on FR24 Twitter page
                            Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
                            [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

Working...
                            X