Hong Kong Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dundee View Post
    Actually my basestation port of my T-VHHH19 ads-b machine (Machine is composed by a Mode-S Beast card and a single-board computer which is similar to Flightfeeder) is down, so I need to use a PC to convert signal from AVR to basestation then feed to FR24. During the coversion, maybe due to network traffic or network restriction (like PCCW WiFi need "semi-manual" reconnect every 4 hours), the conversion is sometimes interrupted.

To deal with the problem, I have sent the email to the manufacturer of ads-b machine and also FR24 Support separately, but a perfect solution seems still cannot be found yet.

If someone can write and send me an ARM LE, statically linked software to convert data from AVR to Basestation, I will give him a big thanks !!!
    Dundee,

There is such software - the decodeadsb by John Carroll. It decodes ads-b from mode s beast AVR with a linux computer, and also has the ARM feeder to feed to FR24. Just like a rpi running dump1090, except the software is decodeadsb and it feeds to FR24 24/7. You have your rpi free? maybe you can try with that first, and see how the software performs in the rpi in heavy traffic. John's email is in this post: http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ll=1#post40171

Comment

• Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
      Dundee,

There is such software - the decodeadsb by John Carroll. It decodes ads-b from mode s beast AVR with a linux computer, and also has the ARM feeder to feed to FR24. Just like a rpi running dump1090, except the software is decodeadsb and it feeds to FR24 24/7. You have your rpi free? maybe you can try with that first, and see how the software performs in the rpi in heavy traffic. John's email is in this post: http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ll=1#post40171
      Thanks NBR and John! After installing John's program, everything works fine so far and my linux knowledge is much enriched!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dundee View Post
        everything works fine so far and my linux knowledge is much enriched!
        I have just bought rpi during my Taipei trip over Tuen Ng! I hope I'll have time to give it a try. Dundee, I hope I'll make it too.

Comment

• Originally posted by royng View Post
          I have just bought rpi during my Taipei trip over Tuen Ng! I hope I'll have time to give it a try. Dundee, I hope I'll make it too.
          Great! In case you have any problem, you may leave a reply here or find me David Bush@HKADB FB Group.

Comment

• Originally posted by royng View Post
            There is a few choices of software to run for ARM computers now to decode adsb data. It is:

1) dump1090 - guide available at this link: http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...e-to-feed-FR24 Peterhr is the guru in this.
            2) decodeadsb by John Carroll - work is ongoing to upgrade the software to run on debian instead of angstrom for Beagle bone platform. Supports Odroid U3 for high traffic areas. Link: http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ll=1#post40171
            3) modesdeco by sergsero - google and you will find where to get it.
            4) FR24's own decoder software in BETA test.

Most popular without doubt is dump1090. Method 1 is for RTL-SDR 820T dongles. Method 2 supports mode s beast and the dongles. Method 3 I am not entirely sure, definitely dongle but I think also can run on beast.

By the way Dundee how is decodeadsb working for you at VHHH?
            Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2014-06-03, 13:49.

Comment

• Aloha! I am the owner of T-VHHH41. Just found this dedicated thread for Hong Kong feeders.
              T-VHHH41 @ Central District, HK
              180 degree facing East-South East, 650 feets above sea level

Comment

• Nice to meet you samman.
                Do you think you can cover the ABBEY area? As you can see there are a lot of position jumps.
                Capture.PNG
                What antenna are you using? May be I can make you one.

Comment

• From ABBEY area, I think VHHH41, 34 can cover most...

Comment

There is a few choices of software to run for ARM computers now to decode adsb data. It is:

1) dump1090 - guide available at this link: http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...e-to-feed-FR24 Peterhr is the guru in this.
                    2) decodeadsb by John Carroll - work is ongoing to upgrade the software to run on debian instead of angstrom for Beagle bone platform. Supports Odroid U3 for high traffic areas. Link: http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ll=1#post40171
                    3) modesdeco by sergsero - google and you will find where to get it.
                    4) FR24's own decoder software in BETA test.

Most popular without doubt is dump1090. Method 1 is for RTL-SDR 820T dongles. Method 2 supports mode s beast and the dongles. Method 3 I am not entirely sure, definitely dongle but I think also can run on beast.

By the way Dundee how is decodeadsb working for you at VHHH?
                    Everything so far so good...
                    And I have already sent the feedback to John Carroll!

Comment

• I like dump1090 for 'in box' web page presentation of what your receiver is seeing, since you can't expect your 'Radar id' to be shown on the FR24 map display (and that's not a dig at FR24) - the new FR24 decoder / feeder software doesn't do this [map display] presently, though it may be possible with a windows box alongside.

I would be interested if I could get a beast, but my hands don't reach deeply enough into my pockets to get one.
                      Last edited by peterhr; 2014-06-04, 10:53.

Comment

• Originally posted by microtony View Post
                        Nice to meet you samman.
                        Do you think you can cover the ABBEY area? As you can see there are a lot of position jumps.
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]4200[/ATTACH]
                        I am using the original retractable antenna (made it just longer than 13cm) and placed just inches from glass curtain wall.
                        T-VHHH41 @ Central District, HK
                        180 degree facing East-South East, 650 feets above sea level

Comment

• Originally posted by samman View Post
                          I am using the original retractable antenna (made it just longer than 13cm) and placed just inches from glass curtain wall.
                          Using DIY or adsb based (1.1GHz) atenna will have a great inprovement!

Comment

• Originally posted by samman View Post
                            Originally posted by Dundee View Post
                            Using DIY or adsb based (1.1GHz) atenna will have a great inprovement!
                            Originally posted by microtony View Post
                            Nice to meet you samman.
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]4200[/ATTACH]
                            Maybe you can ask microtony to make you one.. and then you can see whether your range improves samman.

Dundee, yes John's software is performing excellently for me too. Next will be an installation script for decodeadsb where it will be using the debian platform. Will be interesting how things develop.

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                              I like dump1090 for 'in box' web page presentation of what your receiver is seeing, since you can't expect your 'Radar id' to be shown on the FR24 map display (and that's not a dig at FR24) - the new FR24 decoder / feeder software doesn't do this [map display] presently, though it may be possible with a windows box alongside.

I would be interested if I could get a beast, but my hands don't reach deeply enough into my pockets to get one.
                              Hmmm... might sound a bit too optimistic/unreal but maybe hope some generous member here will sponsor you a beast? As you have contributed much to the Rpi Dongle project?

Comment

Hmmm... might sound a bit too optimistic/unreal but maybe hope some generous member here will sponsor you a beast? As you have contributed much to the Rpi Dongle project?
                                I'd prefer to purchase at an attractive price

Comment

Working...
                                X