Hong Kong Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Birdie View Post
    HongKong have only "standing space" for human beings. Soon, it will be the same for feeders, LOL

Coverage in that place is fantastic.
    Haha, what do you mean by standing space?
    Last edited by Dundee; 2014-04-18, 20:15.

Comment

BTW someone write some script which adds Hong Kong air traffic routes on top of FlightRadar24 map.
      http://bit.ly/1hRK7G0 - provided and written by microtony

sample.png

Comment

Originally posted by Dundee View Post
        It means crowded.

In mandarin terms: 人多到只能夠站

BTW someone write some script which adds Hong Kong air traffic routes on top of FlightRadar24 map.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3906[/ATTACH]
        Wow looks cool. Good work. Notice your radar code pops up time to time VHHH19 and VHHH28

Comment

Hi everyone! It's VHHH33 here. (Well, I know you dun get to see me on FR24 often, but anyway... )
          A newbie here. Have always been tempted to get a USB dongle but only got it recently. I have about 135-degree view facing southeast to west.
          Now I'm waiting for my second dongle for placing on west side of my flat. Hope to "see" more then.

Have a great Easter!

Comment

HK has the most feeders in FR24. So, only standing space available.
            F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

Haha, thx Birdie explanation.

It seems Hong Kong has nearly 40 feeders which increasing dramatically in these few months, but most of us just claim that we don't have a good antenna.
              As I know owner of T-VHHH21, microtony has made his own DIY antenna which has a good reception, so why don't we have a "group buying" of T-VHHH21 antenna.

In case T-VHHH21 no reply, I think we can yell him in HKADB FB Group !!!

Comment

I am happy to build some for anyone interested, it won't cost me a lot.
                But before that, I think I will go to different parts of Hong Kong to test the reception of this design (e.g. Tai Mo Shan, Sai Kung, Stanley).

BTW we are lacking coverage in the south and southeast area. You can see T-EST1 appearing very often.

Comment

HK have plenty of high rise buildings. Not everyone have the benefits of installing the antenna on the roof top.

Most stick the antenna out of their window or balcony - resulting in some sectors with good range while other sectors are complete null.

With so many feeders, they all added up that helped to build up a nice coverage of HK air traffic. Keep it up.

I am glad to see more feeders sprouting up in WSSS. Used to be only 4 about 18 - 24 months ago. The West Sector which I have partial NULL coverage are now covered by other feeders in WSSS. LOL
                  Last edited by Birdie; 2014-04-23, 03:47.
                  F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdie View Post
                    HK have plenty of high rise buildings. Not everyone have the benefits of installing the antenna on the roof top.

Most stick the antenna out of their window or balcony - resulting in some sectors with good range while other sectors are complete null.

With so many feeders, they all added up that helped to build up a nice coverage of HK air traffic. Keep it up.

I am glad to see more feeders sprouting up in WSSS. Used to be only 4 about 18 - 24 months ago. The West Sector which I have partial NULL coverage are now covered by other feeders in WSSS. LOL
                    Apart from high rising buildings, the terrible terrain in HK also make the coverage limited.

For example, most places in East part of HK are countrysides, hills, cliffs, isolated islands, its not easy to setup a radar and so the coverage in SE, E of HK FIR is too bad...

As someone stated the Civil Aviation Department in HK are just setting up their primary and secondary radars in many top of the hills, our feeders cannot have too much effort, money to do so...
                    Last edited by Dundee; 2014-04-23, 11:04.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dundee View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3906[/ATTACH]
                      wonder how to do that....
                      why not hv it at malaysia FIR also....

Comment

• Originally posted by Dundee View Post
                        Apart from high rising buildings, the terrible terrain in HK also make the coverage limited.

For example, most places in East part of HK are countrysides, hills, cliffs, isolated islands, its not easy to setup a radar and so the coverage in SE, E of HK FIR is too bad...

As someone stated the Civil Aviation Department in HK are just setting up their primary and secondary radars in many top of the hills, our feeders cannot have too much effort, money to do so...
                        Changi Airport ( WSSS ) just commissioned a new SGD 300 Million Thales ATC system.

This is their 3rd System upgrade.

1st ATC System = Signnal ( Holland )

2nd ATC System = Thomson

3rd ATC System = Thales

Comment

• With the new F-VMMC2, coverage over the south west area has improved.
                          On the other hand, T-RCKH4 provides some good coverage to the east.
                          Now only a small area over ELATO and the south east HK FIR is still not covered, which can be hard due to distance from land and quite dependent on aircraft cruising altitude. The planes even sometimes have to use HF instead of VHF to contact manila.
                          May be a receiver at Shantou will work.

Comment

• Originally posted by microtony View Post
                            With the new F-VMMC2, coverage over the south west area has improved.
                            On the other hand, T-RCKH4 provides some good coverage to the east.
                            Now only a small area over ELATO and the south east HK FIR is still not covered, which can be hard due to distance from land and quite dependent on aircraft cruising altitude. The planes even sometimes have to use HF instead of VHF to contact manila.
                            May be a receiver at Shantou will work.
                            Indeed... QUite happy to have the south west coverage improved now. Hopefully a few more FR24 receivers would be sent to that part of Hong Kong/Macau... T feeders are also doing a good job.

Comment

• I noticed that Dundee's Virtual Radar Server is showing some planes in the south east area, but they are not shown on FR24 (or shown as T-EST1).
                              Anyone know the reason why?

Comment

• Originally posted by microtony View Post
                                I noticed that Dundee's Virtual Radar Server is showing some planes in the south east area, but they are not shown on FR24 (or shown as T-EST1).
                                Anyone know the reason why?
                                Actually my basestation port of my T-VHHH19 ads-b machine (Machine is composed by a Mode-S Beast card and a single-board computer which is similar to Flightfeeder) is down, so I need to use a PC to convert signal from AVR to basestation then feed to FR24. During the coversion, maybe due to network traffic or network restriction (like PCCW WiFi need "semi-manual" reconnect every 4 hours), the conversion is sometimes interrupted.

To deal with the problem, I have sent the email to the manufacturer of ads-b machine and also FR24 Support separately, but a perfect solution seems still cannot be found yet.

If someone can write and send me an ARM LE, statically linked software to convert data from AVR to Basestation, I will give him a big thanks !!!
                                Last edited by Dundee; 2014-04-30, 20:45.

Comment

Working...
                                X