Hong Kong Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ghklee View Post
    Seems we need a radar in Macau or Zhuhai to cover the black-hole ?
    I noticed today that the very good Macau VMMC1 radar has not been online.
    This Macau VMMC1 radar really does help in regards to tracking Hong Kong Airport traffic over the sea between Macau and Hong Kong Airport.
    If their is anybody in the Zhuhai area who is able to provide a 24hr feed to Flightradar24? i am happy to donate my AirNav Radarbox to further enhance Hong Kong airport traffic coverage.

Comment

Let's hope someone picks up the offer. Or if anyone know's someone who is staying there and in good location for ADS-B please let aircraftenthisiast know!!

Comment

Good to see the VMMC1 radar back online. This radar really does help with the Hong Kong aircraft traffic over the sea between Macau and Hong Kong Airport.
        Just need somebody in the Zhuhai area to take up my offer regarding 24hr radar feed to Flightradar24.
        Hong Kong will hopefully then be well covered over the sea between Macau, Zhuhai and Airport.

Comment

Originally posted by Dundee View Post
          It's great to see my radar appeared here. Just doing a test in this few days and see that my coverage is bit large at about 50-70 nm, especially can cover some blind spot when plane was approaching in Runway 25L/R, VHHH.
          But my equipment is just a R820T Dongle and a UHF TV antenna on the roof.
          If I can get a good antenna or even a FR24 receiver, the coverage can be increased to the south eastern part of Hong Kong or even South China Sea.
          Quoted from New Feeder Spotted. Hope you see this, dundee.

Yes, investing in a good antenna and cable is important and will give you better range.

You can always refer to the the 'Technical Matters (Hardware)' for reference for antenna and cable. For antennas in general is either you make one yourself or buy one. up to you. For cables, keep it as short as possible and also factor in whether you need to bend you cable a lot as thicker cables are less flexible. A nice cable would be Westflex W103.

It would be great if you can increase coverage for the SE part of HK/South China Sea. Give a shot in applying for the free FR24 receiver, why not? Good luck.

On another note, F-VMMC1 sure is down a while now...
          Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2013-09-02, 12:21.

Comment

Just applying for FR24 receiver a few days ago, hope that good news will be happened.

Comment

Just applying for FR24 receiver a few days ago, hope that good news will be happened.
              Good luck. should have heard something by FR24 by now? If it is a no there is a reply normally about 24 hours or a bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
                Good luck. should have heard something by FR24 by now? If it is a no there is a reply normally about 24 hours or a bit more.
                I afraid that the admin cannot receive my apply so did it again with a more elaboration yesterday, hope that good news will be happened.

Comment

Just do an adjustment to let my UHF TV antenna face south, the coverage can be increased to 150 nm in some places.

As my UHF TV antenna is not omnidirectional and also need placing horizontal (as the TV transmitter in my area using horizontal polarization), so the performance of receiving ads-b signal is not the best...

I just do searching on the net for about ads-b antenna but the price is a bit expensive or making DIY antenna is quite complicated.

Comment

Just do an adjustment to let my UHF TV antenna face south, the coverage can be increased to 150 nm in some places.

As my UHF TV antenna is not omnidirectional and also need placing horizontal (as the TV transmitter in my area using horizontal polarization), so the performance of receiving ads-b signal is not the best...

I just do searching on the net for about ads-b antenna but the price is a bit expensive or making DIY antenna is quite complicated.
                    Yes, ADS-B antenna aren't generally cheap. I thought you are waiting for FR24's reply about your application?
                    For antennas, if you don't mind you can have a look at http://www.taylormaderf.co.uk/page13...t-34/store.php . GBPs + shipping so yeah not cheap.

Have a look at the technical matters side of the forum to have a look at DIY omnis. good luck.

Comment

Yes, ADS-B antenna aren't generally cheap. I thought you are waiting for FR24's reply about your application?
                      For antennas, if you don't mind you can have a look at http://www.taylormaderf.co.uk/page13...t-34/store.php . GBPs + shipping so yeah not cheap.

Have a look at the technical matters side of the forum to have a look at DIY omnis. good luck.
                      Ya. Mike just sent a email to confirm my application was received a few days ago and maybe in progress?
                      It's not cheap for buying antenna in fact...
                      For example,It just cost me 8 USD to buy DVB-T in Hong Kong but it just cost 10-20 USD in US/Europe...

Comment

Ya. Mike just sent a email to confirm my application was received a few days ago and maybe in progress?
                        It's not cheap for buying antenna in fact...
                        For example,It just cost me 8 USD to buy DVB-T in Hong Kong but it just cost 10-20 USD in US/Europe...
                        Oh I forgot... there is an active PCB antenna being developed. Have a look at yahoo groups - search for mode s beast group. Perhaps that won't be too expensive but price is not announced yet.

No news from you about the application, I assume FR24 decided not to send you a receiver?

Comment

Oh I forgot... there is an active PCB antenna being developed. Have a look at yahoo groups - search for mode s beast group. Perhaps that won't be too expensive but price is not announced yet.

No news from you about the application, I assume FR24 decided not to send you a receiver?
                          Whats the group? Wanna have a look!
                          What I want to is to have a good antenna and also reduce power consumption (operate DVB-T in a PC 24/7 is really power consumption and also not safety as I am not at home everyday).

Ya, no email reply from FR24 and I will assume FR24 will not consider my application as first priority and in the waiting list something like that...
                          But in fact my location can really improve the coverage of planes in south east of Hong Kong, South China Sea, especially when the plane approach in runway 25L/R.

On the other hand, the 3rd runway in Hong Kong will be constructed and finished after a few years, more air traffic depart/approach in Hong Kong afterwards, I hope FR24 can "invest" Hong Kong much and it will be a good benefit for that.
                          Last edited by Dundee; 2013-10-06, 20:44. Reason: investigation=>invest

Comment

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

distance coverage is 125 NM withla PCB and 140 with active PCB , twice more aircraft 34 / 69 more than twice the messages rate 104 / 224.
                            Its now powered, born from this
                            Last edited by Oblivian; 2013-10-06, 06:48.
                            Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

What I want to is to have a good antenna and also reduce power consumption (operate DVB-T in a PC 24/7 is really power consumption and also not safety as I am not at home everyday).

Ya, no email reply from FR24 and I will assume FR24 will not consider my application as first priority and in the waiting list something like that...
                              But in fact my location can really improve the coverage of planes in south east of Hong Kong, South China Sea, especially when the plane approach in runway 25L/R.

On the other hand, the 3rd runway in Hong Kong will be constructed and finished after a few years, more air traffic depart/approach in Hong Kong afterwards, I hope FR24 can "investigate" Hong Kong much and it will be a good benefit for that.
                              This is why many people look to running their dongle off a Raspberry Pi - power consumption is around 5w as for safety ... I would be more suspicious of the power block that plugs into the wall than the Pi itself

See http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...e-to-feed-FR24

Comment

On the other hand, the 3rd runway in Hong Kong will be constructed and finished after a few years, more air traffic depart/approach in Hong Kong afterwards, I hope FR24 can "investigate" Hong Kong much and it will be a good benefit for that.
                                That would be up to FR24 to make the call. it's their lost if they missed the chance. VHHH definitely has the volume of aircrafts there.

Range from 270 to 090 via 000 is amazing with F-VHHH1 (180degree view as far as I know from the feeder who mentioned it here last time). but yes, towards the south/south east it can be improved and T-VHHH3, VHHH5 is covering that a bit. F-VMMC is down for a long time now, previously has provided some cover which is now gone. Well, just keep feeding to FR24 for now. just have to persevere... and hope the dongle lasts!

Comment

Working...
                                X