Hong Kong Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jb_bak View Post
    Well Hong Kong is so mountainous, that directional probably is what most need? No need to buy one, I made one very cheaply that works great using this link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1328260

T-VHHH55
    bobsaget.mooo.com:8080
    Perhaps. It all depends what you want really. In most cases high gain collinear seems to work well which is around 8-9dbi in gain. ads-b reception normally has a limit of around 250-300nm depending on elevation.

What range do you get with the biquad directional? And also the type of cable & length used? how high up are you?
    Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2015-07-10, 14:18.

Comment

• New Feeder F-ZGGG3...
      It's coverage so big which can cover Pearl River Delta and South China Sea...
      Most Blind coverage in VHHK such as South China Sea can be covered...

If it's connectivity is stable and 100% 24/7, I may change the decode hardware from Mode-S Beast back to DVB-T in order to focusing on M-LAT contribution.
      Last edited by Dundee; 2015-07-27, 17:28.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dundee View Post
        New Feeder F-ZGGG3...
        It's coverage so big which can cover Pearl River Delta and South China Sea...
        Most Blind coverage in VHHK such as South China Sea can be covered...

If it's connectivity is stable and 100% 24/7, I may change the decode hardware from Mode-S Beast back to DVB-T in order to focusing on M-LAT contribution.
        Fantastic range! A warm welcome to F-ZGGG3! Finally improved coverage for the south, South East side, sea area of Hong Kong!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dundee View Post
          Someone from Singapore replied a wrong post in here instead of Singapore Radar Forum a few hours ago...
          There is no Singapore Radar Forum yet. Most probably I will be talking to myself if i start it. LOL !
          F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

• Station Enhancement

Hi all,

In order to improve the quality of data received by my station, I have done the following enhancement:

1. Replace the wifi dongle inserted on Flightfeeder by a USB-to-LAN dongle, so data transmission can be stable. Ping from Gateway is shorter from 6ms to below 1ms, hope it will be helpful if FR24 MLAT can support "beast-tcp" in the future.
            2. Replace the 10 meters N-SMA cable given by FA by a 4 meters N-SMA cable purchased from Taobao. Total attenuation from antenna to Flightfeeder can be decreased from ~3.5db to ~2.2 db, hope that coverage and quality of signal can be improved.

Regards,
            Dundee
            Last edited by Dundee; 2015-08-01, 19:15.

Comment

• Dundee what antenna are you using? Its my opinion that this is the biggest improvement you could make to your station.
              I think for around HK, you almost certainly need a directional antenna, unless you live on the top of a mountain with rooftop access.

I made a biquad 11db that works nicely. If you google "ibcrazy biquad" you will find a nice tutorial if your interested in going that route. Also, to limit loss through coax (all i've found locally is junk) I only used about 4 inches to the antenna, waterproofed the dongle and then just ran a USB cord inside to my RPi.

T-VHHH55

Comment

• Originally posted by jb_bak View Post
                Dundee what antenna are you using? Its my opinion that this is the biggest improvement you could make to your station.
                I think for around HK, you almost certainly need a directional antenna, unless you live on the top of a mountain with rooftop access.

I made a biquad 11db that works nicely. If you google "ibcrazy biquad" you will find a nice tutorial if your interested in going that route. Also, to limit loss through coax (all i've found locally is junk) I only used about 4 inches to the antenna, waterproofed the dongle and then just ran a USB cord inside to my RPi.

T-VHHH55
                http://blues.servebeer.com:8080
                My antenna is BS-1105 provided by FA when getting Flightfeeder. I mounted it on the rooftop mount of my house with yaggi (fishbone) TV antenna...
                Coverage has been improved after replacing a shorter cable. Position reported increased ~10% from 55,000 to 60,000 per day. Coverage increased from 200 nm to around 230 nm up to SABNO...

FR24_20150804.jpg

P.S.: The overlay used in attachment is the javascript written by microtony, Installation Guide: Hong Kong FIR (VHHK) FR24 Overlay
                Last edited by Dundee; 2015-08-04, 10:36.

Comment

• Dundee, after looking at your radar on the no-ip, it appears you are not in need of an omni antenna like the BS-1105. There is a lot of wasted gain to the north of you I am assuming, as I do not see a circle coverage of aircraft. Typical for this area, assuming you have some mountains to the north right? So you would be much better off with a low db directional antenna, with a 180 degree lobe south at about 11db. An omni antenna is pretty useless in this part.

T-VHHH55

Comment

• Hi all,

My home broadband is down since mid-August so the feeding status not stable.

Now broadband has been fixed and feeding status will become stable.

Dundee

Comment

• Hi all,

It seems the fr24-overlay-vhhk plugin made by microtony is not work again (DNS Error).

I just copy the script from github and host them in my own server for temporary usage with the link below:

You guys welcome to use it!

Dundee
                      Last edited by Dundee; 2018-08-26, 04:39.

Comment

• Finally, replacement of flightfeeder is approved after 15 months fighting.
                        Hardware of flightfeeder is upgraded to RPi 2 with Mode-S Beast 1.3.

It seems the decode program of flightfeeder is enhanced and I saw more positions are reported to fr24 by reading FR24 stat.

You guys may refer here for more statistic for my station.
                        Of course the link of my signature also show the flights captured by flightfeeder directly.

Dundee

Comment

• F-VMMC3 / T-VMMC15 here
                          F-VMMC3 / T-VMMC15

Comment

• Post rise to the top of the board again...
                            Hi flflbb...

Comment

• Hi Dundee
                              F-VMMC3 / T-VMMC15

Comment

• Hi everyone.

After a long hiatus my station VHST37 resumed uploading. The long pause was due to the fact that the PC upload client did not really submit messages received despite the appearance. But then I moved on to Raspberry Pi feeder now.

Happy feeding ADSB.

Comment

Working...
                                X