Hawaii ADS-B Usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greeting from BKK

Welcome to FR24 and thanks for the sharing. Hope to see the Hawaii ADS-B coverage 24x7 soon.

Kanok

Originally posted by ChuckinKona View Post
    Aloha Folks,

Yes, I'm up and running, although the coverage is limited to a NW to SW quadrant looking to the West of the Western tip of the island of Hawaii. Receiver is located at about 1,500 feet looking out over the Pacific. Have made contacts over 250 NM away. Coverage in the direction of HNL is about 150 NM down to an altitude of about 6,000 feet, which catches approaches and climb outs. Looks like 80% or so of the traffic is not ADS-B equipped.

Chuck
    Last edited by speedbird1960; 2012-11-21, 18:26. Reason: Word edit, FR24 not FS24.
    T-VTBD1 : RadarBox 3km North of VTBD
    T-VTBD2 : RPi MLAT 300m South of VTBD

Comment

hello
      I'm Beka from georgia i bought micro ads reciever in russia, they send me it Without the antenna. Now, I wonder what kind of antenna will work?

Comment

A 1090 MHz antenna with an SMA connector should work. Or ask Miro to send you the missing antenna.
        Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

thanks, best regards

Comment

Aloha Folks,

Attached is a screenprint from adsbScope showing my envelope of coverage, up to 300 NM for high altitude aircraft from my 1,500 elevation, looking out to the West. Receiver is a Micro ADSB with the demo antenna sitting in a window.

Chuck
            ADS-B_PHKO1.jpg

Comment

That's damned impressive. I'm maxing at 170. But then I am at a little over ground level
              Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Nice reception with antenna just sitting at the window.With an external antenna on the roof could be better and in all directions.I am also using microADS-B and it's doing great job.

Comment

Aloha,

Not sure if a better antenna on the roof will make much difference. It looks to me that the envelope is defined by solid earth, for example to the East of my location there is a 8,000 foot volcano with it's summit about six miles away. Likewise to the north there is a ridge likely blocking, if not already blocked by the trees. To the NNE toward HNL the islands, including Maui with a 10,000 foot volcano cause reception "shadows". To the South there are trees that are higher than the roof, and there is virtually no air traffic to the South and Southwest. I may try someday, but I suspect improvement will be minimal. I've got about a 90 arc of coverage that appears to reach out to the line of sight horizon, and that it about all that can be asked for, in my humble opinion.
                  Chuck

Comment

Please consider sharing your data on Albert's Live Mode-S site
                    Last edited by jmhayes; 2012-12-03, 18:13. Reason: bad url, whoops!

Comment

That would be great if he starts sharing with Albert's Live Mode-S site from Hawaii.
                      I also share with him for Southern California area.
                      Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
                      [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

Aloha,

Can not really consider seriously without a better understanding of the minimum requirements, as they appear to me to not be met by my setup. It is a simple microADSB receiver and adsbScope software. Tell me if I can, and how. And, can't see what the site does and if of interest. Not closed to the idea, need to know more on feasibility, and the "why".

Cheers,
                        Chuck

Comment

You'll be fine ChuckinKona

I just checked and it simply lists the more popular commercial receivers. ADSBscope is able to output 30003 (since you are already, the FR24 app is using this)

So just install their app and follow the bottom half of the page to put in your rough location details and hit go It appears to be the same sort of thing, monitor port. Capture data, uploads.

Will be good for military cover due to Hawaii being a stop-over for some of the USAF/NatGuard
                          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

I've Just installed it and now logging too BTW.

We have C17s come in/out along with NYGuard C130s (2 here at present) as a base for Artic operations, so will help you keep an eye on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                              I've Just installed it and now logging too BTW.
                              What did you pick for you Location? Hopefully something like "Kona HI, US" ...?

Comment

Originally posted by jmhayes View Post
                                What did you pick for you Location? Hopefully something like "Kona HI, US" ...?
                                Uuuh nope. Going by the austrlasian links on the main page I thought it would like where I was 'down under'?

I put in "Christchurch, NZ"

Comment

Working...
                                X