No announcement yet.

Feeding and not on the map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike, I've been operating the SBFZ feeder since June/2011. Now, this area has a partial coverage of T-OLDS and T-F4V. In the last couple of months, it seems that my feed is being ignored, since some airplanes that appear airborne in my machine (running Basestation and ModeS softwares and receiving data from a Kinetic SBS-1ER) simply do not appear on the map.

Comment

No disrespects to those in the Netherlands, but it is easier for the rest of the forum to be able to read your comments and offer possible advice, if we can encourage Dutch speaking colleagues to use English on these forums please!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        1) We don't know how coverage is in different places. The world is millions of square kilometers and there is absolutely no possibility to know coverage in million places.

2) Coverage changes over time and height. Some feeders are online only daytime, some nighttime, some weekends, some Wednesdays, some are up 99%, some are down 99%, sometimes there may be 100% coverage on FL400, but only 50% on FL100 and no coverage on FL10, some receivers maybe broken, some feeders maybe on vacation.

3) There are 1200 receivers connected that makes up to 5000 connections and disconnections every day. There is no possibility for anyone to keep control of how coverage changes and when.

Even if there are 2 receivers 50m from each other they can have different coverage in different directions depending on terrain. So every feeder can make a change. Maybe today, maybe tomorrow, maybe on FL100, maybe over Antwerpen or maybe just in your local area. One thing is for sure, there is no area where we have 100% coverage GND-FL550, and there is no area where we have coverage 24/7/365.
        With full respect of the temporal and other difficulties, wouldn't it be possible to do something like this:
        • Devide the map of the world into a few thousand "squares"
        • Map every recorded flight position in the database to one of the "squares"
        • Define 4 quartiles, that is determine how many hits a a "square" needs to be in the top 25%, 26-50%, et.c.
        • Colour each "square" according to quartile and display like a layer on the map

Such a map would give a crude picture of average coverage, with all the limitations.
        Surely, there are areas whith very dense traffic, and these would fall into the top category even with bad coverage. Likewise, an area with few planes but decent coverage would fall in the worst category. But still, we would by a glance quite easily see where it is more likely to see a plane on FR24. I think this would be a very helpful tool.

Analysing just the last 3 months positions recorded would give a more current view, and if you write a script for this task and run it periodically, one could see average coverage changing over time.

Comment

Intuition - we all receive a very good picture, in real time, of the traffic density and congestion simply from the very hard work put in by Mike and his team, without creating multiple additional layers.

Comment

I think you may have misunderstood my intentions. I was suggesting this as a way to see and follow coverage. My suggested method is impacted by traffic density, but that was not the subject of my suggestion.

I was initially posting in another thread (where the thread title was more clear) but since Mike linked to this thread for explanation about coverage, I thought this was best place to post.

Comment

FR24 coverage is not like GSM coverage were you have the save coverage every day, every week, every month. As mentioned many times before, coverage on FR24 is dynamic and changes thousands of times per day. Apart from the changing coverage there is the problem with coverage on different flight levels. I'm sorry, but I don't see the benefit of viewing that an area had "50-75%" coverage last month.

By observing the map for 10-15 minutes you can get a very good estimation of the coverage.

Comment

Working...
              X