No announcement yet.

New Zealand Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So he's happy after I linked to the antennae I have up, but he did quote the act below. It would be useful to know where we stand. I know LiveATC is not allowed. But ADS-B (Broadcast), as previously mentioned it is not only used by airlines, airports, possibly Airways when their radar went down, also safety/crash info and not to say we possibly have a wider ADS-B coverage over the country including lower down than airways.

It may be useful for someone knowledgeable and diplomatic to see where things are at. Everyone knows about it, including Airways and CAA, so I am sure if there was a problem they would have just gone to FlightRadar and FlightAware and shut it down at their end.

Please be aware of this clause in the Radiocommunications Act 1989 part 133A

Offence to disclose contents of radiocommunications

(1) Every person commits an offence against this Act who receives a radiocommunication and who, knowing that the radiocommunication was not intended for that person,—

(a) makes use of the radiocommunication or any information derived from that radiocommunication; or

(b) reproduces or causes or permits to be reproduced the radiocommunication or information derived from that radiocommunication; or

(c) discloses the existence of the radiocommunication.

EDIT: Punctuation for clarity.
    Last edited by nzfatmatt; 2015-09-29, 04:37.

Comment

• Might be time they updated the Act. Technology has changed a lot since 1989

Comment

• Radiocommunications Act 1989 part 133A

How do I not know that an ADS-Broadcast communication is not for me? Is that specified anywhere in the act?

A Merriam-Webster dictionary definition of broadcast is: to transmit or make public by means of radio or television.

On the other hand if I were to disseminate a communication from ADS-Contract, then that would mean trouble.
        Michael
        Palmerston North,
        New Zealand
        ex-FR24 Feeder

Comment

• Wonder where that places our logs..

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk
          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Have just reconnected T-NZCH1 (beast) back to the primary antenna. So if MLAT contacts differ all of a sudden it would seem I was helping

Pi is destined for some more tinkering and potentially a remote location at the south of the airport pointing at it.
            Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Yes I host at the airport .Airways know about it and are fine with it as do the airport management.FR24 is an invaluable tool for us as we use it to get aircraft positions in order to do runway sweeps for bird control, using the mobile app on a cellphone when you can't pick up the aircraft visually helps with timing of runway sweeps. Also diverts from ZQN we can see if they have missed approach and can ready gates for the divert often before the tower has let us know they are coming.I am currently looking at getting the aerial on to the highest part of the terminal for more coverage it's around 214 miles at present.

Comment

• Originally posted by nzdn1 View Post
                Yes I host at the airport .Airways know about it and are fine with it as do the airport management.FR24 is an invaluable tool for us as we use it to get aircraft positions in order to do runway sweeps for bird control, using the mobile app on a cellphone when you can't pick up the aircraft visually helps with timing of runway sweeps. Also diverts from ZQN we can see if they have missed approach and can ready gates for the divert often before the tower has let us know they are coming.I am currently looking at getting the aerial on to the highest part of the terminal for more coverage it's around 214 miles at present.
                I like hearing success stories like this

SQ get a rough eta from arrivals when its due on the ground, but are then able to watch it come in and see if it has to circle for weather etc (they did so a few months back for CHC). They use to do engine washing at AKL and could line up at the gate ready ontime too.

At least some people are sane enough to see the advantages

Comment

• What colours are planeplotter users using on there outline map on NZ, for contrails, labels background etc. Have been having a fiddle but does not look right.

Comment

• Black bg, yellow trails (alt trails for rainbows got a bit much) green outline, purple routes and grey for runways etc

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Comment

• And no sooner do I say that, todays release adds ability to adjust the colours of labels, text and local/remote aircraft.

Comment

• Thanks Oblivian. Will check it out.
                        Last edited by Westone; 2015-10-05, 05:53.

Comment

• I have noticed a lot of spurious MLAT positions today on my PP screen. Most seem to be out to the east . Anyone else noticed odd positions with the auto MLAT.

Comment

• Yes I also noticed that this morning. Thought it may have had something to do up the latest update which I installed last night. Perhaps not.

Comment

• They have changed a few things, but not turned on the new MLAT feature yet.. so could be a case of bad-refeeding like we are seeing with Rpi FR24 and Flightaware

Comment

• Anyone else getting exceptional ranges today?

My records show ANZ879 (Christchurch-Coolangata) this afternoon at 314nm and ANZ725 (Auckland-Melbourne) at 300nm with a few more between 230 and 250nm!
                                Michael
                                Palmerston North,
                                New Zealand
                                ex-FR24 Feeder

Comment

Working...
                                X