New Zealand Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Westone View Post
    Have seen one or two strange things happening this morning. One AT75 stuck at 600ft for five minutes or so, when it had already landed. Think it is some other anomaly, not your Pi
    I did tack on another MLAT client to it about 10pm last night tapping to the same data out. But have applied the anti-loop fix mentioned. if it continues I'll stop the 2nd client and see if the issue goes away. Although not an accurate representation of the current data being shown, I've seen one or two oddballs attributed to NZCH26 which is me :P
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• 7848e83.jpg

Here another strange one

Comment

• It would appear that there is a Boeing C-17A Globemaster III (10-0220) on its way to us (RCH113)

Comment

• Originally posted by Westone View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]6454[/ATTACH]

Here another strange one
          I just heard the C17 hit the anchors (im at the airport working atm)

That TZZ is a trainer so does do roundabout rides. But the straight bits toward the centre are certainly incorrect.

One thing I didn't take into acct after a 24hr period without issue was my 30003 database logging going offline mysqladsb doesn't auto-reconnect and at some point the Pi has booted its connection. So nothing logged since 4am
          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Quick question about Planeplotter. Can you have different colours for way points and sharer locations,?

Comment

• I think it treats all GPX as the same so I doubt it. But you could try a diff triangle for the waypoint ones.

Can I use my own Waypoint, Trackpoint and Routepoint symbols?

From the Help information: You can make Plane Plotter display different symbols for the various Waypoints, Trackpoints and Routepoints by placing a suitable Windows bitmap (.BMP) file of your own making in the application directory (the same diectory as PlanePlotter.exe). Use a graphics editor to create a small bitmap file with the symbol that you wish to be displayed for each type of point and save the file with the name “waypointsymbol.bmp”, “trackpointsymbol.bmp” or “routepointsymbol.bmp” as appropriate, in the application directory. When Plane Plotter starts, it will import those symbols and use them instead of the default triangles. Note that you need to restart Plane Plotter to use the new symbols.

If you want to have transparent areas in the symbol (to make a symbol that is not a rectangle) use the following colour (pale pink = RGB 255,200,200) and the pink areas will be transparent on the chart.
              But I suspect they use the same icon

Comment

• Pretty good
                NZCH MLAT.JPG

Comment

• I see that Boeing 787-9 ZK-NZC is operating ANZ4, AKL-LAX today. Stretching its legs a bit

Comment

• Certainly a lower range with the DVBT Dongle on Rpi Vs a beast. Just reach the west coast now, when usually extend past it to the waypoints at least.

learning linux'y stuff as I go however.

Comment

• Received a business card from MBIE radio inspector "to discuss radio topics", have emailed this morning to find out more. I guess a bunch of antenna's on the roof look like we might be transmitting. There is only ADS-B nothing else.

I guess the reason you would be approached is if there is lots of radio noise produced in the area or someone reports the antenna's. Big sticky things on the roof are pretty obvious.

Comment

• Originally posted by nzfatmatt View Post
                        Received a business card from MBIE radio inspector "to discuss radio topics", have emailed this morning to find out more. I guess a bunch of antenna's on the roof look like we might be transmitting. There is only ADS-B nothing else.

I guess the reason you would be approached is if there is lots of radio noise produced in the area or someone reports the antenna's. Big sticky things on the roof are pretty obvious.
                        Uh-oh! Approach carefully, make sure he doesn't try to make us fall into the class of not meant to be re-transmitting when not meant to be the recipient when its a broadcast type.

Maybe they think you are running pirate radio, or messing with WIAL. Or just want to do it themselves

Comment

• Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                          Uh-oh! Approach carefully, make sure he doesn't try to make us fall into the class of not meant to be re-transmitting when not meant to be the recipient when its a broadcast type.

Maybe they think you are running pirate radio, or messing with WIAL. Or just want to do it themselves
                          You've got to tell the truth, I would assume operators, Airways, CAA (Especially since MH370, MH17 and Germanwings), people know it exists. For GermamWings I think FR was contacted within half an hour by authorities for their data dump of my memory is correct.

Comment

• Originally posted by nzfatmatt View Post
                            You've got to tell the truth, I would assume operators, Airways, CAA (Especially since MH370, MH17 and Germanwings), people know it exists. For GermamWings I think FR was contacted within half an hour by authorities for their data dump of my memory is correct.
                            Hey I didn't mention not telling the truth

You have to wonder how good official systems are when they want cross analysis from home-brew functions 0.o

One of the dunedin guys hosts at the airport I think. So yeah, FR are known.

I've done jobs at the airport and seen SQ and Customs looking at FR screens for accurate positioning to meet aircraft with sometimes little info about delays passed on. Its awesome.

Comment

• Ok all good. He was in the area investigating AM broadcast reception interference and came across my kit, so was checking on that. But did state the law reminding us about radio spectrum and transmitting under radio licence.

Just said it was Receive only and 1090MHz, though he did question why I've got two different sized antennas. Linked to them and that seemed fine.

I remember nzradar had an issue with power supply. Would this only effect within your own home and power network or could this introduce noise to the greater area feeding out through the antenna?

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                              Hey I didn't mention not telling the truth

You have to wonder how good official systems are when they want cross analysis from home-brew functions 0.o

One of the dunedin guys hosts at the airport I think. So yeah, FR are known.

I've done jobs at the airport and seen SQ and Customs looking at FR screens for accurate positioning to meet aircraft with sometimes little info about delays passed on. Its awesome.

Comment

• His was causing localised interference. Shortening range and making some reception near impossible.

Unless somethings very wrong shouldn't reflect out. I have a HAM capable tranceiver. But I don't use it on licensed bands so all good know my place, listen only. Or use PRS where I can.
                                Their inspection car is clever. Full range analyser in front. Multi antennas on the roof and the capability to switch them on/off in arrays and pinpoint direction

Comment

Working...
                                X