No announcement yet.

New Zealand Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've thought lots about all the holes but there are a couple that would be useful now with SoundsAir and the PC12s. ZK-PLS already flying is ADS-B equipped. PLT which is in oz has it and PLZ which is in Fielding and due to start on Taupo route Tuesday had Mode-S from what i have seen of its previous flights, hopefully that was updated in the upgrades it's been having.

Taupo has coverage down to 8000 over Turangi, Blenheim to 6000 for when the wine route starts.

Comment

• F-NZPM2 received the GPS unit yesterday and MLAT has been up since around 4pm same day. Noticed a few 1900D/Q400's over central and southern North Island that weren't there the days before.
      Michael
      Palmerston North,
      New Zealand
      ex-FR24 Feeder

Comment

• Westone
        Just spotted a new FR24 receiver in the Auckland area F-NZMB2
        Originally posted by nzfatmatt View Post
        That explains the MLAT. Saw planes climbing or of Auckland at 1000 feet or so.
        Hi Guys,

Yep, F-NZMB2 has just landed. Glad the site is contributing to MLAT and my location seems to detecting targets shortly after departure from NZAA. I just saw this New Zealand thread tonight and have updated my site on the radar list. Glad to see the FR24 'Team NZ' has a strong representation.

Terry

Comment

• Nice,.. Welcome on the Bandwagon,. But more Recivers are need on the North Island,.

And Cover around WRE would be more welcome..
          (F-EDLE1)delcomp-DEL-David Tks(My friend Mike, all three of them)

URL: http://banner.flightdiary.net/EDLM
          1090SJ(Ae) /(6m. Ecoflex10) / SBS 3 /-FR24 Box/ Power-line Connection (Ethernet)

Comment

• Originally posted by delcomp View Post
            Nice,.. Welcome on the Bandwagon,. But more Recivers are need on the North Island,.

And Cover around WRE would be more welcome..
            I assume you meant "more Recivers are not needed on the North Island" and that a WRE contribution would be more welcome than yet another in the Auckland area.

So why did FR24 send me a receiver if my coverage is not helpful. I didn't force them to send it to me and only indicated that the feed statistics from a Flightaware setup I currently have suggested the site might be useful to FR24 as well and was happy to host one of their receivers. Unlike Flightware, there appears to be no way of telling how well other FR24 contributors are doing or even yourself for that matter. So other than comparing against my FA stats I can't tell how useful the site is to FR24. If the coverage it's not useful then I can send it back to FR24 and use the aerial space to feed competitor flight trackers who might appreciate the contribution more?

Sorry to be so negative on just my second post but with time (and a bit of cash) invested in this so far, I guess I was hoping for a bit more encouragement rather than the view I have wasted my time covering an area already well covered.

Comment

• Originally posted by lord farringdon View Post
              I assume you meant "more Recivers are not needed on the North Island" and that a WRE contribution would be more welcome than yet another in the Auckland area.

So why did FR24 send me a receiver if my coverage is not helpful. I didn't force them to send it to me and only indicated that the feed statistics from a Flightaware setup I currently have suggested the site might be useful to FR24 as well and was happy to host one of their receivers. Unlike Flightware, there appears to be no way of telling how well other FR24 contributors are doing or even yourself for that matter. So other than comparing against my FA stats I can't tell how useful the site is to FR24. If the coverage it's not useful then I can send it back to FR24 and use the aerial space to feed competitor flight trackers who might appreciate the contribution more?

Sorry to be so negative on just my second post but with time (and a bit of cash) invested in this so far, I guess I was hoping for a bit more encouragement rather than the view I have wasted my time covering an area already well covered.
              delcomp has a habit of causing misunderstandings in his posts, sometimes. His post is well meant but yes the way it is perceived isn't encouraging/nice. It's just how he is. I don't take his posts seriously so please do not be offended by his post.

Please do not feel that your setup is not being helpful. Already your fellow countrymen has noticed better MLAT coverage once your receiver came online. Better MLAT coverage is what FR24 is working on for NZ, so for sure you are contributing.

FA are FR24 are both aviation tracking sites but they do things differently. FA has a lot of statistics, while there is also some stats from FR24. You can access that from your premium account > 'more info' (see this link if you don't understand what I mean http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ll=1#post66367)

Your account might take a few days to setup sometimes after your receiver is activated. Stats will inherently be different as the way FR24 collects and measures data will understandably be different to how FA collects and interprets its data.

This NZ radar thread has always been helpful and informative so I am sure fellow members of this thread will welcome you warmly for hosting a FR24 receiver at your place.

Comment

• Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
                Please do not feel that your setup is not being helpful. Already your fellow countrymen has noticed better MLAT coverage once your receiver came online. Better MLAT coverage is what FR24 is working on for NZ, so for sure you are contributing.
                Thanks North Borneo Radar. That is very encouraging to hear and hopefully more RNZAF flights in the area can be MLAT tracked. I expect English is not delcomp's first language so I suspected there was some unintended abrubtness which I took no offense at. However, I was concerned that his underlying message was that another receiver in the area was of no help at all in which case I most certainly would be looking to support another flight tracker for whom the contribution would be more worthwhile. I'll see how it goes in the meantime.

Your account might take a few days to setup sometimes after your receiver is activated. Stats will inherently be different as the way FR24 collects and measures data will understandably be different to how FA collects and interprets its data.
                Thanks for clarifying this also. I have since found my FR24 stats and wondered what the difference between them and FA was. While the position report counts are similar, the FR24 ' aircraft seen' count is much lower.

Thanks again North Borneo Radar and keep up your good work in what must be a very interesting corner of the flight tracking world

Terry

Comment

I have since found my FR24 stats and wondered what the difference between them and FA was. While the position report counts are similar, the FR24 ' aircraft seen' count is much lower.
                  Terry
                  Welcome to the forum, we are all here to help each other. I have been having a fiddle with some other tracking software and have also found that there is a slight difference in aircraft tracked.
                  Have also noted in the Receiver list that when looking in the Auckland region to also look under NZAR & NZMB. I add receivers to the list as they pop up on FR24 Website.

Comment

• Lol lol cant you guys read,.......

And Cover around WRE would be "MORE"than welcome..
                    . But more Recivers are needed on the North Island,.

And aircraft on MLAT was dissapearing on the Helensville line of the North Island,

So Helensville is a right step in that direction,. now another one between you and WRE
                    (where my family is) would be just right,. to help light up the North Island

Theres a differents between more,.. and less........And should not be taken out of Context.......

And by the way,. I took the second-ever Reciever to NZ,. to get NZ running over there.
                    Therefore;.Im one for getting FR going over there,. down under,.And I have seen NZ
                    light up from nothing. Im all for you guys downunder "Kia Ora".

lord Farringdon,. Once again,.. Welcome onboard the Bandwagon of FR24 Recievers

01.06.2015 F-EDLE1(T-EDLM) DEL
                    would interest me to know,. If,. North Borneo Radar Is uploading to FR24 As he has nothing to do
                    with FR24,.. and just copys Mike post..
                    Last edited by delcomp; 2015-06-01, 06:58.

1090SJ(Ae) /(6m. Ecoflex10) / SBS 3 /-FR24 Box/ Power-line Connection (Ethernet)

Comment

Thanks North Borneo Radar. That is very encouraging to hear and hopefully more RNZAF flights in the area can be MLAT tracked. I expect English is not delcomp's first language so I suspected there was some unintended abrubtness which I took no offense at. However, I was concerned that his underlying message was that another receiver in the area was of no help at all in which case I most certainly would be looking to support another flight tracker for whom the contribution would be more worthwhile. I'll see how it goes in the meantime.

Thanks for clarifying this also. I have since found my FR24 stats and wondered what the difference between them and FA was. While the position report counts are similar, the FR24 ' aircraft seen' count is much lower.

Thanks again North Borneo Radar and keep up your good work in what must be a very interesting corner of the flight tracking world

Terry
                      No worries mate. I can understand that feeling of just started to share to FR24 and then got told like you shouldn't have applied! FR24 definitely knows what they are doing with the receivers and where it is needed and why. Interestingly, I do recall some other posts did mention about english not being delcomp's first language - but he said it is. Anywho, we will just leave that as it is, end of.

As for aircraft seen - Mike FR24 admin (co-owner) did say the criteria to report position of aircrafts are stricter so that leads to a lower count. They favour quality over quantity.

Hope this helps and thanks for the kind words Terry.

NB: delcomp... I am not starting anything really.
                      Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2015-06-01, 06:27.

Comment

• Welcome lord farringdon, as I've previously mentioned about MLAT down to 1000 feet is awesome, it makes me jealous of that city the rest of the country call a funny name related to a red lolly you roll down a steep street in Dunedin. Wellington is MLAT deprived comparatively.

I'm sure in an ideal world receivers would be nicely spaced and you would increase density over time to bring MLAT coverage down.

We are currently sparse north of Auckland, though there did used to be T-NZKK1 Kerikeri but I haven't seen it in a long time. There are also still lots of ADS-B holes at lower levels and airports. But there's the slight problem of having people who are willing to contribute, install a mast and in the needed location of a FR supplied receiver in some of these locations. I don't think we'd go and buy a house at the top of a hill somewhere just to get a good site for a receiver.

Even installing your own receiver costs and takes knowledge.

Comment

• lord farringdon,... Hi.

The FAA are the orange aircraft,. and are on, A five minute delay(fromFAA)

FAA dosnt show all the data,. that they recieve.and some aircraft details are blocked from them

Comment

• lord farringdon.

Terry
                            This is my F- Reciever
                            F-EDLE1.jpg

Range rings,. set at 25 S-miles
                            The higher the antenne, The better results,. even without an Amplifier.

144 aircraft,. thats both ADS-B and ModeS ,. The ModeS requires 4
                            Recievers on the same aircraft to shown on flightradar24..(MLAT)

The FR24 Reciever is very easy to connect,. When you have a Router,..
                            As you use the Ethernet connected to the router,,.and dosnt need any software on your computer.

Could do with an F- Reciever at Kaiwaka. Nothing against you Terry,.. But to Increase FR24
                            coverage on the North Island..

Id like to watch a DH8 from AKL to WRE
                            Last edited by delcomp; 2015-06-01, 09:31.

Comment

• Originally posted by nzfatmatt View Post
                              Welcome lord farringdon, as I've previously mentioned about MLAT down to 1000 feet is awesome, it makes me jealous of that city the rest of the country call a funny name related to a red lolly you roll down a steep street in Dunedin. Wellington is MLAT deprived comparatively.

I'm sure in an ideal world receivers would be nicely spaced and you would increase density over time to bring MLAT coverage down.

We are currently sparse north of Auckland, though there did used to be T-NZKK1 Kerikeri but I haven't seen it in a long time. There are also still lots of ADS-B holes at lower levels and airports. But there's the slight problem of having people who are willing to contribute, install a mast and in the needed location of a FR supplied receiver in some of these locations. I don't think we'd go and buy a house at the top of a hill somewhere just to get a good site for a receiver.

Even installing your own receiver costs and takes knowledge.
                              Well, if somebody is really keen, they could target amateur radio operators or maybe even more suitable amatuer weather station operatorss. They are well organised and as for the weather people, they already hook up to and share data via internet.
                              NZ weather amatuers can be found here: http://www.localweather.net.nz/smf/n...ather-network/
                              Of course the location has to be right and there are other parameters to consider, but if you really wanted to make an effort, that could be the people to contact.

Comment

• Originally posted by delcomp View Post
                                lord farringdon.

Terry
                                This is my F- Reciever
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]6115[/ATTACH]
                                The higher the antenne, The better results,. even without an Amplifier.

144 aircraft,. thats both ADS-B and ModeS ,. The ModeS requires 4
                                Recievers on the same aircraft to shown on flightradar24..(MLAT)
                                Kia Ora delcomp.

Amazing what a missing word or piece of incorrect grammar can do to the meaning of a post lol. No worries mate.

What are the range rings on your screen shot. If they are 50nm that's up to 350nm your are seeing in some directions? That's awesome!!

Comment

Working...
                                X