New Zealand Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nzradar View Post
    Well she's up and running and not much sign of interference so fingers uncrossed. Have emailed FR Support so will wait to hear on my fate! Currently 2.6 degrees celsius and dropping!
    Brrrr definitely sounds cold at 2.6 degrees Celsius! Hope it wasn't too much work getting the antenna up as you should have the same location for the previous set up.

Comment

• Good to see F-NZPM2 up and running again. Have updated radar list to include you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Westone View Post
        Radar Location list updated info

Have decided that it would be easier to use google docs, so everyone can update entries and add columns as needed. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
        Sorry forgot to allow members to edit doc, have now fixed this.

Comment

• OK, F-NZPM2 back up and running, thanks Muazzam at support, however, MLAT may have to wait as support only shipped a receiver and nothing else. I already have the antenna and cables but the original receiver and its GPS antenna were supplied to Greymouth last year. So I'm assuming that until the GPS is connected that there'll be no MLAT capability with this receiver.

@NBR
          The antenna has been up for over a year, FR24 let me keep it and it's been in use on and off with an RTL and less interfering power sources. I changed the originalFR supplied coax cable to LMR400 and that proved a good move. All I had to do yesterday was pick up the receiver from the couriers, plug in the power, connect to my router and antenna and switch on. I set up the network config to a static IP and away we went!

I'm running modesmixer2 on an RPi2 in order to grab some 30003 data for my SQL database that feeds adsb.hfaero.com/todays.php (WIP) and to also give me a map view of my local data.
          Michael
          Palmerston North,
          New Zealand
          ex-FR24 Feeder

Comment

I changed the original FR supplied coax cable to LMR400 and that proved a good move.
            How much gain do you think you got with changing the cables??

Comment

• @Westone

I originally had some Andrew Heliax on my first ADS-B receiver and that quickly taught me how good the coax needs to be but it way too difficult and expensive to keep in the cost of connectors. I had played around with RG213 and RG58 just to get a feel for the differences. I'm not a scientist or electrician or a trained Ham so I go by results rather than theory.

Since I don't have a bottomless purse of money I find the LMR400 a perfect compromise between cost, handling of bends, connectors, loss and durability. The loss is about 1.3db per 10m so you'd never notice the loss over that length provided you use good N-Type connectors.
              Michael
              Palmerston North,
              New Zealand
              ex-FR24 Feeder

Comment

@Westone

I originally had some Andrew Heliax on my first ADS-B receiver and that quickly taught me how good the coax needs to be but it way too difficult and expensive to keep in the cost of connectors. I had played around with RG213 and RG58 just to get a feel for the differences. I'm not a scientist or electrician or a trained Ham so I go by results rather than theory.

Since I don't have a bottomless purse of money I find the LMR400 a perfect compromise between cost, handling of bends, connectors, loss and durability. The loss is about 1.3db per 10m so you'd never notice the loss over that length provided you use good N-Type connectors.
                Thanks nzradar, something worth thinking about

Comment

• NZM327.jpg

ZK-MVE making diamonds in the sky (NZM327 WLG-DUD)

Comment

• I would have to say looking at the Herc, Auckland has some reasonable MLAT coverage.

Edit: Spelling, trying to attach screenshot

Comment

• Just spotted a new FR24 receiver in the Auckland area F-NZMB2

Comment

Just spotted a new FR24 receiver in the Auckland area F-NZMB2
                        That explains the MLAT. Saw planes climbing or of Auckland at 1000 feet or so.

Comment

• It appears that QF27 SYD - SCL is taking a more northern route today over flying NZ about Kaitaia region of Northland.

Update: Appears FlightAware got it wrong, Sorry about that. Now heading for over Invercargill,

Well I got that one completely wrong didn't I.
                          Last edited by Westone; 2015-05-30, 05:09. Reason: update info

Comment

• Originally posted by nzfatmatt View Post
                            That explains the MLAT. Saw planes climbing or of Auckland at 1000 feet or so.
                            Same thing happened around Christchurch when F-NZCH4 came online. Think it might be time for FR24 to give us an updated map of where they would like receivers in NZ as a lot has changed in recent months with placement of approx 8 receivers

Comment

It appears that QF27 SYD - SCL is taking a more northern route today over flying NZ about Kaitaia region of Northland.

Update: Appears FlightAware got it wrong, Sorry about that. Now heading for over Invercargill,

Well I got that one completely wrong didn't I.
                              I saw it flying over our northern lands.

Comment

Same thing happened around Christchurch when F-NZCH4 came online. Think it might be time for FR24 to give us an updated map of where they would like receivers in NZ as a lot has changed in recent months with placement of approx 8 receivers
                                It would be interesting to know. You can see the MLAT holes. Wellington was a bit better today, I assume NZRadar is still waiting on the gps to get going.

I haven't seen anything of 41South and F-NZWN1 in a while. I've even pulled the network to my receivers at busy times to see who else shows up. Only see F-NZWN2 and notice that ground coverage is currently only me.

Comment

Working...
                                X