No announcement yet.

New Zealand Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• https://twitter.com/flightradar24/st...76126917177344 :-)

Comment

• Bilstein,

Re your link. Now that's dedication to 'duty.'

.... who was it that said radar codes are meaningless? (and that's in no way aimed at you btw).

Regards,
      Gregg
      Last edited by fungus; 2015-04-28, 11:06.
      YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

• Picked up a fast moving Russian something (hex 1616B8) just before 10 am this morning. It was travelling at 4922 kts
        Anyone else pick it up

Comment

• Originally posted by Westone View Post
          Picked up a fast moving Russian something (hex 1616B8) just before 10 am this morning. It was travelling at 4922 kts
          Anyone else pick it up
          Lol 9115Km/k.. err. Unless it was the russian supply module slower than it is.. nope
          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• How bizzar I can now pick up aircraft on the ground at Christchurch from my receiver here at Westerfield. Noticed some the other day down to 50ft. Nothing has changed at my end perhaps someone has cut down a row of trees closer to airport. Also there appears to be another FR24 receiver in Chch F-NZCH4
            Last edited by Westone; 2015-05-04, 01:31.

Comment

How bizzar I can now pick up aircraft on the ground at Christchurch from my receiver here at Westerfield. Noticed some the other day down to 50th. Nothing has changed at my end perhaps someone has cut down a row of trees closer to airport. Also there appears to be another FR24 receiver in Chch F-NZCH4
              Westone,

I've noticed similar variabilities here in SYD although I can't pick up the airport itself from my location. I've been able to put it down to the removal of trees also (and other obstacles) but the weather seems to play its part, just as it does the scanner with analogue signals. The latter not necessarily being something I'd have associated with digital 1090MHz.

Regards,
              Gregg
              Last edited by fungus; 2015-05-03, 22:57.
              YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

• NZ40 is going on a tiki tour this morning. http://www.flightradar24.com/ANZ40/62a489b

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt_R View Post
                  NZ40 is going on a tiki tour this morning. http://www.flightradar24.com/ANZ40/62a489b
                  Doesn't tend to be a good sign. Losing weight at low alt it would seem
                  Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Now that I am picking aircraft on the ground at Christchurch why are some of them coming up with a negative altitude before takeoff or after landing. Your thoughts on this most appreciated.

Comment

Now that I am picking aircraft on the ground at Christchurch why are some of them coming up with a negative altitude before takeoff or after landing. Your thoughts on this most appreciated.
                      Altitude for the transponder is based on the International standard atmosphere. A pressure of 1013.25. Depending on a high or low in the area the associated altitude on the ground changes.

Having a standard means all other places and ATC know an altitude of the plane that is relative to all other traffic.

Only a brief description while walking home, so if I said something incorrect or someone wants to expand go for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by nzfatmatt View Post
                        Altitude for the transponder is based on the International standard atmosphere. A pressure of 1013.25. Depending on a high or low in the area the associated altitude on the ground changes.

Having a standard means all other places and ATC know an altitude of the plane that is relative to all other traffic.

Only a brief description while walking home, so if I said something incorrect or someone wants to expand go for it.
                        nzfatmatt thanks very much for your explaination

Comment

• Todays was an oddly high pressure which won't have helped. Fog even. was close to 1025 this morning.

And in other news..

Air New Zealand will shut down Dreamliners completely every three months after tests by Boeing exposed problems.

Comment

• According to my FR24 status (GPS), I am -4.5m [AMSL] whereas in reality I am about 3 or 4m ASL!

Comment

• NZ ADS-B feeder

Hi guys

I've recently got an SDR dongle feeding data from flights around me up to the web. I'm using a 6dB WIMO antenna with a RTL2832 USB dongle with gain currently set to 10.

The reach isn't as far as I'd like and I was wondering if I should get a preamp too? They do one here wimo.com/download/as-1090-deutsch.pdf

Can anyone suggest if this is the right course of action?

Cheers
                              Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by mabnz View Post
                                Hi guys

I've recently got an SDR dongle feeding data from flights around me up to the web. I'm using a 6dB WIMO antenna with a RTL2832 USB dongle with gain currently set to 10.

The reach isn't as far as I'd like and I was wondering if I should get a preamp too? They do one here wimo.com/download/as-1090-deutsch.pdf

Can anyone suggest if this is the right course of action?

Cheers
                                Mike
                                Moved your post to join our merry band and rather informative Kiwi thread

What range does the WiMO cover? you may find its only 1-2dB at the required 1090mhz

You can get surprising gain from a DIY colinear or simple omni before going the amp route. I made one from a welding rod and some plans online and it was quite capable of 140nm

Afterall, pre-amp of noise is just more noise

Comment

Working...
                                X