New Zealand Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nzradar View Post
    15:50 Local Time my alert went off for a Boeing 757, replaying at 230350Z reveals RNZAF Boeing 757 NZ7571 over Taranaki with M-LAT3 radar. Cool!
    Spotted it yesterday and today. Seems like Taranaki to Hamilton above 25 - 30 000 is where I'm seeing MLAT.

Comment

• There's an MLAT 737-300 headed north along the west coast of the North Island right now.
      The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.

Comment

• Yep seen them off Mt Taranaki a few times now

And yes, Nelson 1, Welly2 and Hamilton all new

All about Flightradar24.com web page and Flightradar24 apps. No discussions about feeding data to Flightradar24.
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Originally posted by nzfatmatt View Post
          Spotted it yesterday and today. Seems like Taranaki to Hamilton above 25 - 30 000 is where I'm seeing MLAT.
          I spotted a B737 and a 1900D down to 18-20.000 ft this afternoon

Comment

• So now MLAT is operational in New Zealand, at least between Hamilton and New Plymouth.
            I have seen B737s (ZK-NGG, ZK-NGH, ZK-NGI and ZK-NGJ), DHC8s (ZK-NEW, ZK-NEJ, ZK-NEH and ZK-NED), ATR72s (ZK-MCC and ZK-MCY) and 1900Ds (No reg, just HEX-code)
            The jets were at FL30-36 and the props around FL19-23.

Its a start I guess, but given that there are F-feeders in HZ, WN, DN, NS, NR, RO, CH, QN, GT, TG, AA and PM (and maybe I forgot some) it is a bit disappointing that this is what can be achieved. I guess the receivers have to be optimally distributed for something to triangulate properly. I hope you all applied for F-equipment.

Comment

• When I go in to set a filter by Radar most of the time I don't see many F-NZxxx radars, in fact right now there's only 1 x Auckland and 1 x Christchurch F- radar showing. My assumption here is that the filter list is a list of all those radars currently on line. If this is the case then I'm terribly disappointed as well. I thought the agreement between the the hoster and FR24 was that the receiver was to be up and running 24/7/365 in order to feed the server and provide data for MLAT.

I have requested a receiver for Palmerston North despite FR24 already having deployed one in the city but I seldom see it in the filter list. If my request is successful, hopefully we can get MLAT a bit further south.
              Michael
              Palmerston North,
              New Zealand
              ex-FR24 Feeder

Comment

• I'm on the fenceline. I'm not really far enough north of the main city to have an impact
                Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

When I go in to set a filter by Radar most of the time I don't see many F-NZxxx radars, in fact right now there's only 1 x Auckland and 1 x Christchurch F- radar showing. My assumption here is that the filter list is a list of all those radars currently on line. If this is the case then I'm terribly disappointed as well. I thought the agreement between the the hoster and FR24 was that the receiver was to be up and running 24/7/365 in order to feed the server and provide data for MLAT.

I have requested a receiver for Palmerston North despite FR24 already having deployed one in the city but I seldom see it in the filter list. If my request is successful, hopefully we can get MLAT a bit further south.
                  The radars shown on the web page are the first ones to provide the information. That was dominated by F-NZxxx radars until the MLAT was switched on on the FR24 boxes (a few weeks back). That seem to slow them down a bit. They seem to provide the data slightly different and I guess they have to feed the MLAT data as well. Looking at the log it seems that the data is now pushed out in packages of multiple planes. While the FR24 boxes had the edge in fast response before MLAT was active they seem now slightly slower. That is why we are seeing less F_NZxxx radars on the web page in my opinion. They are of course still there and feeding, just as mine which lost a lot of visibility on the web page. But the benefit is the MLAT planes now tracked.

I wonder what it would look like if BPO came active again in the south island.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                    I'm on the fenceline. I'm not really far enough north of the main city to have an impact
                    Oblivian, please don't put your own filter on the process. Let FR24 make the decision if you can contribute.

Comment

When I go in to set a filter by Radar most of the time I don't see many F-NZxxx radars, in fact right now there's only 1 x Auckland and 1 x Christchurch F- radar showing. My assumption here is that the filter list is a list of all those radars currently on line. If this is the case then I'm terribly disappointed as well. I thought the agreement between the the hoster and FR24 was that the receiver was to be up and running 24/7/365 in order to feed the server and provide data for MLAT.

No, the filter list shows what is currently (or recently) displayed -this is one of the gripes of the T- feeders who search the long list to see what / if they are contributing to the overall picture.

If their data is (has not recently been) selected for display then they're not on the filter list, so can't be selected and they can't see when they're filling in coverage hole.

(before someone jumps on me - it's not about getting a kick for seeing 'your radar in a spotlight').
                      Last edited by peterhr; 2014-04-26, 06:41.

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                        No, the filter list shows what is currently (or recently) displayed -this is one of the gripes of the T- feeders who search the long list to see what / if they are contributing to the overall picture.
                        OK my assumption was wrong and I apologise to those F-NZxxx radars if I casted aspersions on their availability or uptime.

I guess we'd never know if those F- radars are online and providing MLAT data until we see an MLAT aircraft. Never mind.
                        Michael
                        Palmerston North,
                        New Zealand
                        ex-FR24 Feeder

Comment

• Pretty much. They are remoteley monitored however and heart-beat back so they know when they are off for an extended period

Comment

• It just occured to me that maybe the newest F-feeders have not yet been MLAT activated, and so things might improve over the next days or weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kpin View Post
                              It just occured to me that maybe the newest F-feeders have not yet been MLAT activated, and so things might improve over the next days or weeks.
                              The northern ones (NSN, WLG, PMR) are newest and all have. Which is why we see MLAT up the west coast of the north island.

Comment

• F-NZGT1 is still offline while we clean up after the fire.

FR24's equipment was spared (it's in a separate structure some distance from the solar shack) but power is still down until new batteries and other gear can be flown to site.

I'm really missing my ADS-B fix.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X