No announcement yet.

New Zealand Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLAT has been enabled on all NZ receivers, but I guess we need 1-2 more receivers to get coverage from 4 receivers on lower levels.

One unit is currently shipped to Invercargill and anther 2-3 units will be shipped next weekend which should give some MLAT on both Northern and Southern islands in April.

Comment

• Screenshot from 2014-03-30 11:15:21.jpgScreenshot from 2014-03-30 11:15:55.jpg
      Noticed something buggy in Wellington. It has been going on for a little while but then saw that we did it too.

Runway 34 Landing T-NZWN1 or T-NZWN8 often take them in and down the runway. They get taken off the end as FR24 is just drawing the straight line with the last data. WN8 Takes over at the end keeps it at 002degrees and around 100kts, going into Evans Bay, then either WN8 plots a new point on the Taxiway still heading north and the same speed so shoots off again. Sometimes WN1 can plot the new point on the taxiway with a southerly heading and low speed around 20kts. Then WN8 takes it again and heads off north again at speed.

After changing over to the R820T we can see more at the airport and I noticed that we are doing the same as WN8 giving a 002 or so heading and around 100kts. However as can be seen on the screenshot of dump1090 from Raspberry pi (we have FR24 on the Pi) we had the correct heading and speed.

I know this is a technical type question but thought it better to put in NZ as it is related. I was wondering what T-NZWN1 and T-NZWN8 were running, as WN1 works but has some patchy reception on the ground but WN7 (me) and WN8 have some erroneous data appearing. It could be a FR24 on the Pi thing I am not sure but knowing equipment may instantly rule out my theory.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eule View Post
        Yesterday when I was getting close to 400nm as recorded by my SBSplotter and adsbScope it listed 328nm as my maximum range.
        Whoa! That is some ferocious range. What is your setup?

The interactive polar graph doesn't quite work for me either, some range dots are not selectable.
        Yep, I get that too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
          MLAT has been enabled on all NZ receivers, but I guess we need 1-2 more receivers to get coverage from 4 receivers on lower levels.

One unit is currently shipped to Invercargill and anther 2-3 units will be shipped next weekend which should give some MLAT on both Northern and Southern islands in April.
          That is great. Has anybody seen any MLAT flights in NZ yet?

Comment

MLAT has been enabled on all NZ receivers, but I guess we need 1-2 more receivers to get coverage from 4 receivers on lower levels.

Hi Mike. I'm not sure if my FR24 will be much use with lower level stuff, as I'm on a mountaintop surrounded by other mountains. Benmore Peak is the highest in a ~25km radius, but the other mountains and mountain ranges make it difficult to see into valleys, etc. That, and the small fact there are no airports near me! (Omarama is a light plane and glider airfield; Glentanner does some scenic flights; and Mount Cook airport is all-but abandoned, with no scheduled flights and few if any unscheduled ones.) All active airports are well hidden from my site and sight by a lot of mountainous terrain in between us.

Comment

If you think it beneficial to have one adding from 18ks north of christchurch city sing out.. can replace my supplied beast and relocate to a tower at 2k shy of the runway..
              Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Originally posted by BPO View Post
                Hi Mike. I'm not sure if my FR24 will be much use with lower level stuff, as I'm on a mountaintop surrounded by other mountains. Benmore Peak is the highest in a ~25km radius, but the other mountains and mountain ranges make it difficult to see into valleys, etc. That, and the small fact there are no airports near me! (Omarama is a light plane and glider airfield; Glentanner does some scenic flights; and Mount Cook airport is all-but abandoned, with no scheduled flights and few if any unscheduled ones.) All active airports are well hidden from my site and sight by a lot of mountainous terrain in between us.

MLAT is generally for non location transmissions above 6000ft anyways
                Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
                  Well done. I did the same more than 1 year ago, going through the whole thread of NZ Radar but that was probably 70++ pages then. Now it's 114 pages! It's the thread I like most after New Feeder Spotted really as the discussions are good. Seems like the dpd antenna is the antenna of choice for fellow New Zealanders! Wow...
                  Its the kiwi way. Number 8 wire mentality. Make it work whatever way you can, and help the bloke next door So in its own way since we are a small country this lil community corner of the planet works well

Comment

• Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                    Its the kiwi way. Number 8 wire mentality. Make it work whatever way you can, and help the bloke next door So in its own way since we are a small country this lil community corner of the planet works well
                    Very good indeed! Keep that spirit going...

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                    If you think it beneficial to have one adding from 18ks north of christchurch city sing out.. can replace my supplied beast and relocate to a tower at 2k shy of the runway..
                    Hopefully you will hear from them about your application for a FR24 receiver...

Comment

• Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                      I think you should apply and send pictures. I don't give any guaranties of course.
                      This is a map showing current MLAT situation in NZ

Blue will be shipped next weekend. I have marked areas in red where we primary are looking for locations, but of course if other good locations shows up we will take it into consideration.

Comment

• I think you should apply and send pictures. I don't give any guaranties of course.

Blue will be shipped next weekend. I have marked areas in red where we primary are looking for locations, but of course if other good locations shows up we will take it into consideration.
                        I am in Geraldine using a Beast and DPD at 650 feet ASL , but could be of some use to you with a FR24 box ( Geraldine appears to be in the centre of one of your red areas) There is another Beast in Temuka with better west coast coverage who could be useful.

Comment

• Originally posted by BPO View Post
                          Whoa! That is some ferocious range. What is your setup?
                          I have the standard supplied FR24 receiver, cables and antenna. I am slightly elevated on a sand dune in the east of Christchurch. The antenna is mounted on a stainless steal post on top the roof. So there is nothing special about the setup, but I do have only ocean in view on the eastern side. I assume that it must have been tropospheric ducting as discussed on the previous page.

AntennaSetup.jpg

Comment

I think you should apply and send pictures. I don't give any guaranties of course.

Rodger that, But looking at the map its a bit of a case of not-likely to make a difference.

Blast. Not far enough north of the city it seems with the existing F-s here.

The map does help take a bit of guess work out of the overlap that is current and areas that need work tho. Thanks.

Im closer to just off the edge of the the top right of the green marker hovering over christchurch itself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Petenz View Post
                              I am in Geraldine using a Beast and DPD at 650 feet ASL , but could be of some use to you with a FR24 box ( Geraldine appears to be in the centre of one of your red areas) There is another Beast in Temuka with better west coast coverage who could be useful.
                              Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                              Rodger that, But looking at the map its a bit of a case of not-likely to make a difference.

Blast. Not far enough north of the city it seems with the existing F-s here.

The map does help take a bit of guess work out of the overlap that is current and areas that need work tho. Thanks.

Im closer to just off the edge of the the top right of the green marker hovering over christchurch itself.
                              Might as well go for it and apply and send pictures as mentioned by Mike and let them evaluate?

Comment

• Mike, I'd be interested to know why there is a Red number 3 near my QTH in Palmerston North.
                                Michael
                                Palmerston North,
                                New Zealand
                                ex-FR24 Feeder

Comment

Working...
                                X