No announcement yet.

New Zealand Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petenz, were you tracking the Google balloons a few weeks ago? It was watching those that got me hooked on this whole ADS-B thing. Your receiver was really doing its job well!

Comment

• Well its heading to Auckland through sasar the usual route so must be on its way to its new owners, all paid for by yours and my phones.

Comment

• Petenz, were you tracking the Google balloons a few weeks ago? It was watching those that got me hooked on this whole ADS-B thing. Your receiver was really doing its job well!
        The antenna, a costly DPD, is on a 30 ft pole on an elevation of (according to my GPS) 600 ft. It had better perform well to the East as I have great views to the sea. Unfortunately I am too close to the Four Peaks to do well to the west.

Comment

• Originally posted by Petenz View Post
          The antenna, a costly DPD, is on a 30 ft pole on an elevation of (according to my GPS) 600 ft. It had better perform well to the East as I have great views to the sea. Unfortunately I am too close to the Four Peaks to do well to the west.
          Geraldine's a lovely spot.

are the (9 dBi) DPD antennas much of an upgrade from the stock FR24 model? I've been looking at their website and wondering if one of those and uprated cable would make much difference, if any.

Comment

• Just watching a King Air head out the the Chathams'. That's the first time I've seen that.

And just as I was writing this at 2211UTC it disappeared.

Screenshot from 2014-03-28 11:07:38.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by nzfatmatt View Post
              Just watching a King Air head out the the Chathams'. That's the first time I've seen that.

And just as I was writing this at 2211UTC it disappeared.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3710[/ATTACH]
              Good spotting... Check out VH-EYQ track.. if it is anything like yesterday it appears to be performing a search..

As for the DPD. I upgraded to one from my DIY G7CRQ antenna. And gained a more stable outter-edge signal. Went from 130-170 to 170-200 range. But it seems quite comparable with the FR24 supplied one for a fraction of the size. I think its a 5dB
              Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                Good spotting... Check out VH-EYQ track.. if it is anything like yesterday it appears to be performing a search..
                I didn't see it yesterday but it's definitely drawing some straight lines.

Unfortunately Taupo cuts out below 8-10000 or so. Maybe some day if no one beats me to it will think about getting something up by the lake. Still need to get my home WN antenna sorted before thinking about that. Though that will have to be over cell as no internet with batteries and solar, as power is turned off when no ones there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Petenz View Post
                  Well its heading to Auckland through sasar the usual route so must be on its way to its new owners, all paid for by yours and my phones.
                  Endurance test See how long she goes on a tank while keeping to some standard routes and airport approach waypoints
                  Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Originally posted by Oblivian View Post

As for the DPD. I upgraded to one from my DIY G7CRQ antenna. And gained a more stable outter-edge signal. Went from 130-170 to 170-200 range. But it seems quite comparable with the FR24 supplied one for a fraction of the size. I think its a 5dB
                    FR24 states it is 0db gain. In fact it is the now not available SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna. It was used to be sold by SSE UK.

Originally posted by Petenz View Post
                    Originally posted by BPO View Post
                    Geraldine's a lovely spot.

are the (9 dBi) DPD antennas much of an upgrade from the stock FR24 model? I've been looking at their website and wondering if one of those and uprated cable would make much difference, if any.
                    I think in you case, getting the antenna to a cable as short as possible to the receiver would be ideal. Like a 1metre coax of H155/LMR400/westflex 103 something like that. You will have very little loss from the cable at that length. Well whether that is feasible is a matter to be considered. I am unsure whether you will gain much from using a higher gain antenna like the dpd 9db due to your unique location. Perhaps you can contact FR24 for some input.

For high gain antennas you can have a look here:
                    http://duplexers.eu/catalog/Pro/antennas/a10_1090/ <-10db gain
                    http://www.dpdproductions.com/page_vhf_air.html#adsbout <-9db gain

Personally I think the FR24 supplied antenna should be good enough. This is based on forums i read a long time ago about the SSE-SJ1090 Mk2 antenna.
                    Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2014-03-28, 04:20.

Comment

• Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
                      I think in you case, getting the antenna to a cable as short as possible to the receiver would be ideal. Like a 1metre coax of H155/LMR400/westflex 103 something like that. You will have very little loss from the cable at that length. Well whether that is feasible is a matter to be considered. I am unsure whether you will gain much from using a higher gain antenna like the dpd 9db due to your unique location.
                      Maybe I'll start with the cable. I can easily shorten the run to 1m or less, and I have some contacts who can put together the necessary goods. Thanks for the info.

Personally I think the FR24 supplied antenna should be good enough. This is based on forums i read a long time ago about the SSE-SJ1090 Mk2 antenna.
                      It certainly seems to be doing the job.

Perhaps you can contact FR24 for some input.
                      Well, I'm about to contact them to find out where my Premium subscription went!

Comment

• Originally posted by BPO View Post
                        Maybe I'll start with the cable. I can easily shorten the run to 1m or less, and I have some contacts who can put together the necessary goods. Thanks for the info.

Well, I'm about to contact them to find out where my Premium subscription went!

Not sure whether you could shorten the supplied cable. As you are contacting FR24 might as well ask them whether it is ok to shorten the cable. If not getting a 50ohm coax cable at a short length should be ok and you have contacts too.

Just bouncing some ideas really. It was someone who host a FR24 receiver in USA that posted here quite a while ago that he used a very short cable to antenna and had good range from it.

Comment

Not sure whether you could shorten the supplied cable. As you are contacting FR24 might as well ask them whether it is ok to shorten the cable. If not getting a 50ohm coax cable at a short length should be ok and you have contacts too.

Just bouncing some ideas really. It was someone who host a FR24 receiver in USA that posted here quite a while ago that he used a very short cable to antenna and had good range from it.
                          Sorry, no, I actually meant I'd use a shorter length of cable, not that I intended to shorten the one supplied.

Comment

Sorry, no, I actually meant I'd use a shorter length of cable, not that I intended to shorten the one supplied.
                            Ok! One day if I visit NZ I hope to see what your place is like and see the masts for myself!

Comment

Ok! One day if I visit NZ I hope to see what your place is like and see the masts for myself!
                              You'll be able to use my PTZ IP cameras from there and anywhere once the masts go in and the WiFi backhaul is finally established.

Comment

You'll be able to use my PTZ IP cameras from there and anywhere once the masts go in and the WiFi backhaul is finally established.
                                Wow brilliant! This wifi backhaul thingy is getting me interested and curious. I am sure you will keep us posted. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X