No announcement yet.

New Zealand Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The equipment was delivered today, so I should have it up-and-running by Thursday or Friday. (20th-21st March.)

Comment

• Originally posted by BPO View Post
      The equipment was delivered today, so I should have it up-and-running by Thursday or Friday. (20th-21st March.)
      If I may ask, equipment means beast and dpd antenna?

Note: my bad... i mixed up BPO and D_No somehow!
      Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2014-03-18, 01:00.

Comment

• Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
        Yes, the equipment supplied by fr24. (I haven't even had a chance to open the packaging.)

Comment

Not quite, Radarcape and a smaller high gain 1/4 coaxial. A3-ADSB

But with FR24 branding and customised SW for remote management etc
          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
            Not quite, Radarcape and a smaller high gain 1/4 coaxial. A3-ADSB

But with FR24 branding and customised SW for remote management etc
            Hmmm... I'm completely new to all this. Do you think I should be aiming higher?

Comment

Not at all that is one of, if not the fastest decoding unit out at present. And the antennas are competetive with my DPD antenna from the US at nearly $200 for it's size. The added bonus there is no PC work being done before sending the data to software to be recompressed and sent out again.

Myself and the original CHC uploader are no more than a past thought now thanks to the deployment of these new FR24 Radarcape based units. They are simply faster and more accurate at stamping the data (its also transmitted in a raw format saving processing time). However I have a number of users nationwide relying on my daily contacts (both seen and not seen) to tie up movements/for the data, so I continue to contribute.

At your altitude I expect the 2 latest ones here to be seen as the primary feeder a lot less also.
              Last edited by Oblivian; 2014-03-18, 00:32.
              Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Apologies I mixed up you and D_No somehow. my bad.

The supplied kit works quite well. Essentially you just set it up and get it running and then you do nothing really, FR24 will control it in essence such as to enable MLAT or not.

Aim higher? You could change the antenna to higher gain perhaps or a thicker coaxial cable to reduce signal lost... if I understood you right. That is at your cost however.

A picture or 2 of the set up to shows us here will be great if you can do it. You don't need to if you cannot. Looking forward to seeing your feed soon.
                Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2014-03-18, 01:08.

Comment

A picture or 2 of the set up to shows us here will be great if you can do it.
                  I'll post one as soon as the gear is installed, but at least I can show you the location:

benmore_peak.JPG

The ADS-B gear will be installed at the highest point in the image, ~1,900m/6,300' ASL.

And now that I've conquered the basics of heywhatsthat, here are some images detailing the sight lines.

horizon.png

plan.png
                  Last edited by BPO; 2014-03-18, 07:44. Reason: Added images.

Comment

• Right, the wee beastie is now online and flashing away merrily. But can anyone out there see anything?

It's all in a temporary location at ~1840m asl until the last of the engineering is delivered and installed, so coverage is slightly less than it will be when I move it to the actual peak 500m or so to the SW.

Gary

Comment

• It may only show online with a temporary name until verified by the guys in Sweden and activated

You should be able to do some sleuthing and find the local IP it has and remote onto it and see status page etc

Comment

• Oh, right.

A-sleuthing we will go...

Comment

Right, the wee beastie is now online and flashing away merrily. But can anyone out there see anything?

It's all in a temporary location at ~1840m asl until the last of the engineering is delivered and installed, so coverage is slightly less than it will be when I move it to the actual peak 500m or so to the SW.

Gary
                          I see no temporary radar code around the area yet... I did see F-NZDN1 and F-NZQN1 around.

Sounds like you are ordering a mast?

Comment

I see no temporary radar code around the area yet... I did see F-NZDN1 and F-NZQN1 around.
                            No idea if either of those is me. Where did you see them? (Link please?)

My biggest fear is this frustrating XT broadband connection: It blocks everything, no matter how many ports I forward. The good news is that my high-speed WiFi backhaul will go live next week, connecting me to my office ADSL2+ and saving me from the tyranny of an extra $59 per month for an entire 3GB on XT...

Sounds like you are ordering a mast?
                            A new mast is being fabbed up right now. I'll have to haul several squillion bags of readi-mix to the peak so nothing will blow away, or be bent under ice, but it'll be worth it.

Volunteers welcome.

Comment

No idea if either of those is me. Where did you see them? (Link please?)

My biggest fear is this frustrating XT broadband connection: It blocks everything, no matter how many ports I forward. The good news is that my high-speed WiFi backhaul will go live next week, connecting me to my office ADSL2+ and saving me from the tyranny of an extra $59 per month for an entire 3GB on XT...

A new mast is being fabbed up right now. I'll have to haul several squillion bags of readi-mix to the peak so nothing will blow away, or be bent under ice, but it'll be worth it.

Volunteers welcome.

Too bad I am too far away to help...

How does the mast look like?

I spotted a radar code F-NZGT1, Glentanner Aerodrome according to ICAO, looks like your area around Mount Cook? Not a lot of air traffic around too so I guess that makes things harder . Just visit www.flightradar24.com to see for aircrafts around your area.

Note: I might get the location of your place and Mount Cook wrong I am no kiwi so my geography of that area is poor. I only had a quick glance on wikipedia for NZGT.
                              Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2014-03-20, 07:39.

Comment

• Hi BPO,

nz2-2.jpg

3 planes detected by your radar VOZ62, QFA139 and ANZ804 over the west, at Tasman Sea. JST189 handed to F-NZCH2. Looking good from your receiver...

Comment

Working...
                                X