• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google balloons going up again.

http://fr24.com/LOON164
    http://fr24.com/LOON163

Comment

• Two of them about 100km west of here (near Mt Hutt) at 65,000ft.
      _MG_9032.jpg

Comment

• Certainly getting up there!

Got some at over 65,000ft. And a screenshot of PP (I should have cleaned it earlier yesterday) with 2 drifted out toward SE at over 200nm from me
        Last edited by Oblivian; 2014-03-01, 03:03.
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Note to self, don't even paste a copy/paste URL. I got over 40 hits from Japan IPs... Almost an entire range of them. So something monitors the board and hammers it.

loons2.jpg
          Last edited by Oblivian; 2014-03-01, 03:16.
          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Seems that one of the google balloons has made it to South America
            2014-03-12 08.02.23 Loon South America.png

Comment

• Well I'll be damned. Changed the name on it now, but same HEX etc

Comment

• Hi all.

Another NZ ADS-B host here. Mine is being installed in the South Island at ~1,900m/6,300' ASL near Omarama and Twizel. The site has unobstructed 360 degree views, so I have high hopes for maximising its useful range and making a worthwhile addition to the network.

Cheers,

Gary
                Benmore Peak Observatory
                Omarama

Comment

• Originally posted by BPO View Post
                  Hi all.

Another NZ ADS-B host here. Mine is being installed in the South Island at ~1,900m/6,300' ASL near Omarama and Twizel. The site has unobstructed 360 degree views, so I have high hopes for maximising its useful range and making a worthwhile addition to the network.

Cheers,

Gary
                  Benmore Peak Observatory
                  Omarama
                  Welcome to the forum,

wow... 6300 ASL. What is your radarcode? Is it a FR24 receiver? I will keep an eye on how coverage is from your area... interesting to see what reception is like with good 360 degree view and at that height.

Comment

• Excellent - Projected coverage
                    Snap13.gif

Comment

• Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
                      Welcome to the forum
                      Thanks!

What is your radarcode?
                      I don't know as yet. The equipment is still in transit, but I'll post the info once I have it.

Is it a FR24 receiver?
                      Yes.

I will keep an eye on how coverage is from your area... interesting to see what reception is like with good 360 degree view and at that height.

Yes, I hope it'll fill any gaps that may exist in local coverage.

Cheers,

Gary
                      Benmore Peak Observatory
                      New Zealand

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                        Excellent - Projected coverage
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]3515[/ATTACH]
                        Interesting! How did you generate that?

There's a major international gliding/sailplane centre at the base of the mountain in Omarama. Many of the gliders are fitted with ADS-B gear, but they usually leave it switched off to save battery power. However, many of the pilots have said they'll start using it, after learning of the new ADS-B site above them.

Edit: Okay, I've just discovered heywhatsthat.com! Very cool indeed.
                        Last edited by BPO; 2014-03-12, 10:58.

Comment

• Originally posted by BPO View Post
                          Interesting! How did you generate that?

There's a major international gliding/sailplane centre at the base of the mountain in Omarama. Many of the gliders are fitted with ADS-B gear, but they usually leave it switched off to save battery power. However, many of the pilots have said they'll start using it, after learning of the new ADS-B site above them.
                          you use heywhatsthat.com (in picture) to generate projected coverage with the option up in the air. just go to new panoroma and fill in your coordinates and set a title. then press the up in the air option and you will get that. It's estimated... not bad at all however.

Oh ok you just got approved. I thought you have installed the set up. anyway... we will know when it's online. All the best.

website was shared to us by paradiselost (John) based in the Philippines.

Comment

• Just had an RAAF KC-30A do a touch n go at NZNV

AWESOME view of it climbing out towards the south from my location

Comment

• Did it actually touch-and-go or just an aborted landing or low-pass overshot? FR24 never showed it getting low enough to actually touch. It just did it again about 20 mins ago.

Damn not being at work for the last two days!

Comment

Working...
                              X