Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting reading.

Operation Deep Freeze - 1961
    As we near the start of the 2013/2014 Deep Freeze air support operation for Antarctica, we thought it was an ideal opportunity to hark back to a time when only military aircraft were employed on such duties, and in vast numbers to boot! It is anticipated this season's Deep Freeze will be significantly scaled back from the 2012/2013 effort due to the massive US budget cuts/constraints.
    As we near the start of the 2013/2014 Deep Freeze air support operation for Antarctica, we thought it was an ideal opportunity to hark back ...

Originally posted by Petenz View Post
    Does anyone know when the Deep Freeze guys are going to start their runs to the Antarctic this summer? I understood Sept 26th, but that date has come and gone. Perhaps Tony Abbott has persuaded the US to start from Tasmania .....
    Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
    [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

• With ZQN fogged out this morning, I think we've come the closest we'll see to a good ol' d*ck and balls in the sky...

Comment

• Found if I sneak down the end of RWY29 in chc when there is a NW blowing you don't get told off very fast Parked outside the 'no-go' zone where the barriers close when there is a takeoff in progress and voila. Not even a fence to hamper my view (I was there an hour and noone come over to say go away) it makes for some great frontal shots

These are uploaded to FB then compressed then re-downloaded, but the originals are sharp as a tack.

1377526_10201466144887549_157432686_n.jpg1379565_10201466145487564_1287459727_n.jpg1383034_10201466144607542_801627692_n.jpg

Also large media contigency here this morning to film and get on one of the 2 RNZAF 757s we had here to head to the ice.
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• And there it goes

And now we have a NZ C130 on the deck and an RAAF BBJ
          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Yeah spotted the BBJ into ZQN earlier as ASY325, any particular reason its there? I thought I saw a black SUV meet it on the tarmac, but can't confirm, the webcam angle is dodgy.

Comment

• Hi poo-bah of aussie will be here for golf no doubt. Not likely their PM, they fly them in the little bizjets

Comment

• ASY325 is heading back across the ditch it appears - thats one expensive round of golf!

Comment

• Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                  Hi poo-bah of aussie will be here for golf no doubt. Not likely their PM, they fly them in the little bizjets
                  The PM gets the use of one of the two RAAF BBJ's (one of the perks of office) but I think he's currently busy in Indonesia with their unpronounceable President (bang-bang whatshisname). Not sure why the other BBJ is (or was) in NZ- I didn't get an invite to the golf.

Regards,
                  Gregg

Update: Just saw a news bulletin which indicated that our new PM has shot from Indonesia over to Kiwiland to see your PM before coming back to Oz. So it's not golf but business and probably explains why he didnt ask me for my golf clubs (or invite me to play).
                  Last edited by fungus; 2013-10-03, 07:45. Reason: Updated info.
                  YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

• Just wondering if the new ANZ flight to Antarctica would have ADS-B on board? Its a 767-300 flying today. As the youngest of these planes is 16 years old I doubt they are equipped with adsb. However I could be wrong.
                    Last edited by Petenz; 2013-10-04, 22:06. Reason: New info

Comment

• Originally posted by Petenz View Post
                      Just wondering if the new ANZ flight to Antarctica would have ADS-B on board? Its a 767-300 flying today.
                      76s do for intl transits. Is ex akl and I saw report of 73.not sure a 76 would do it, but it would be limits of a 73 range/fuel

Comment

• 76s do for intl transits. Is ex akl and I saw report of 73.not sure a 76 would do it, but it would be limits of a 73 range/fuel
                        Just saw this article in NZCity
                        http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=174902

Comment

• Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                          Found if I sneak down the end of RWY29 in chc when there is a NW blowing you don't get told off very fast Parked outside the 'no-go' zone where the barriers close when there is a takeoff in progress and voila. Not even a fence to hamper my view (I was there an hour and noone come over to say go away) it makes for some great frontal shots

These are uploaded to FB then compressed then re-downloaded, but the originals are sharp as a tack.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2704[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2705[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2706[/ATTACH]

Also large media contigency here this morning to film and get on one of the 2 RNZAF 757s we had here to head to the ice.
                          Nice shots, what's the largest we would/could get these days on 29. Enjoyed the 767's on it.

Comment

• unloaded 777-200 rating if lucky. But often the 'milkrun' QF freighter 76 uses it this time of year (daily freight run, been late last few days and seen taking off about 8am)

Comment

• Not heard any american voices lately on VHF so I guess the DeepFreeze people are not flying yet? I wonder if Mr Abbott has been successful in wooing the US to Tassie Perhaps the problem is more to do with the White House and Senate contretemps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Petenz View Post
                                Not heard any american voices lately on VHF so I guess the DeepFreeze people are not flying yet? I wonder if Mr Abbott has been successful in wooing the US to Tassie Perhaps the problem is more to do with the White House and Senate contretemps?
                                That whole aussie base thing has no real driving force. We have them well established here. Purely budget cuts. No c5 for last 2 years (usually visits todrop the freight first) and expecting half the missions this year. So 18 may well be 9 or 10.

First movement due Wednesday. And may not have the same c130 presence either

Comment

Working...
                                X