Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is going on here?
    NZM201.jpg

I know I have seen it before, but what is the technical explanation?

Comment

• Ive caught similiar pic. I think Napier is using a dongle, and for some reason the data is getting scrambled on landing.
      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Originally posted by PALTDNNZ View Post
        F-NZDN1 is located at my place. The position is at elevated southbound exit from Dunedin, 12 km before Momona (DUD), ~360 feet above the downtown level. I’m glad that this radar fills the gap between T-NZTU1/TU2 and T-NZNV1.
        Welcome to the party PALTDNNZ

Comment

• Must be some good mountain peaks in my way

Some defined patterns near the northern SI with straight line holes forming. Good to see some hits out as far as 219nm
          The JPEG you put up shows that you have a great coverage from north to South and I wonder what your secret is (if any) How long is your coax? What antenna? And are you using the Beast? Also with the number of contrails , was it over a few days?

Comment

• Yeah the number of contrails is a bit of a cheat. Probably been capturing since i updated pp a few weeks back. So some look more solid than they are

5m of lmr400 and a beast. Dpd production 9db gain antenna at about 5m up
            Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• 5m of lmr400 and a beast. Dpd production 9db gain antenna at about 5m up
              ]Sounds the same as mine with 2 differences; I have 10 Metres of LMR400 and I am too close to the mountains(among them really)

Comment

• QFA28 and LAN8000 Both passing New Zealand this afternoon. T-NZNR1 doing a good job extending the cover to the east

QFA28 and LAN800.JPG

Comment

• I notice that NZCH and NZAA and NZWN all have weather reports, but so nfar Dunedin has none; can this be rectified?

Comment

• Originally posted by Petenz View Post
                    I notice that NZCH and NZAA and NZWN all have weather reports, but so nfar Dunedin has none; can this be rectified?
                    Probably not. Only METAR and TAF from the three big ones are broadcast to the international network that service the aviation industry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Petenz View Post
                      I notice that NZCH and NZAA and NZWN all have weather reports, but so far Dunedin has none; can this be rectified?
                      If the option "Show weather" selected in Settings, quite a few weather points on NZ map are shown, powered by weather.com via google maps. On a higher zoom one can see more points (like Ashburton and Hinds). But surprisingly, there are no more points southward from Hinds. I found it quite weird, as Google Earth shows nice coverage for all country.

Comment

• My Mode S Beast has arrived, I'll probably get it up and running first thing Friday on my first day off

It will be interesting to see what happens to my coverage compared to the dongle.

Last edited by 41south; 2013-04-09, 09:44.

Comment

• Originally posted by 41south View Post
                          My Mode S Beast has arrived, I'll probably get it up and running first thing Friday on my first day off

It will be interesting to see what happens to my coverage compared to the dongle.

As fare as I have been able to follow T-NZWN2 has been very impressive. The constrains on you will probably be the terrain around you. Of course the Beast is more powerful than the dongle, but would think elevation of the antenna is the most important improvement you can do.

Btw. Do you run a weather station as well?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kpin View Post
                            Btw. Do you run a weather station as well?
                            I used to run one at www.41south.net.nz. It's been down since I shifted houses a few months back but it is on the list to get back back up and running - along with a webcam that will overlook the airport.

Comment

• I am asking for a friend who is interested ....what did it cost landed in NZ ? Are there full instructions in English ?

Comment

• I purchased mine via JMZ Store. It's the single channel complete kit which was 292 Euro - landed in NZ around $420 NZD

Instructions are all available here http://www.modesbeast.com/how-to-complete.html for building with lots of other info off the Mode-S Beast website as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X