New Zealand Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It will certainly help with ground traffic

Overall the range on the WN uploader seems quite good, but if you see holes that can be filled even if for your own curiosity it can be handy to have more.

Look at me, got mine to cover while NZCH2 was overseas, next minute I've conned a few more into it and now we have about 5 in the area will full cover including ground taxi
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• and I can certainly testify that the RTL-SDR FM+DAB DVB-T USB Dongle Stick RTL2832U+R820T via www.amazon.com for US$ 19.50 plus US$ 5.00 postage performs exceptionally well. Just using the mini antenna supplied with the dongle gets me contacts up to 190nm from me!!!

Comment

• Time to throw the toys out of the cot!

Only a glint in the eye of everyone elses receivers now lol

JST289.jpg
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Got a good look at QFA27 this afternoon. Lost it finally at 257 NM. Also saw cW following Dunedin to Sydney flight well out into the Tasman.. Shame I can't see his contrails.
          257 NM for QFA27 at 33000feet.jpg
          Last edited by Petenz; 2013-01-14, 04:10.

Comment

• Yeah I cropped a bit short, it was still onscreen there when I took that. But notice you got the one near wellington!

Comment

• But notice you got the one near wellington!
              All I can say is NZWN1 must have been asleep or offline because I have never been anywhere near there before. But thanks for pointing it out.

Comment

• 41south
                Hi Colin,

I also have the SBS3,. and it work great,.!!

Just see you get a Decent Antenne,. and a good high point
                (Guess ontop of the ATC Tower,would be about right,... Good luck)

David
                (F-EDLE1)delcomp-DEL-David Tks(My friend Mike, all three of them)

URL: http://banner.flightdiary.net/EDLM
                1090SJ(Ae) /(6m. Ecoflex10) / SBS 3 /-FR24 Box/ Power-line Connection (Ethernet)

Comment

• Hi I'm new on here and have just received my micro adsb unit with the small aerial for a start. I am going to set it up at Dunedin Airport so will get coverage into the valley that is currently not being seen.I need a bit of help setting up I'm at the stage were you have to put in co-ordinates for my location but I need to convert to the decimal format 170'11'54"E 45'55'41"S is the location can someone tell me what the converted format is?

Comment

• GPS Co-ord calculators

170.19833E 45.92805S

(the wikipedia on NZDN also has it)

Comment

• Welcome aboard NZDN1

You'll find this hobby can become extremely addictive!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by nzdn1 View Post
                        Hi I'm new on here and have just received my micro adsb unit with the small aerial for a start. I am going to set it up at Dunedin Airport so will get coverage into the valley that is currently not being seen.I need a bit of help setting up I'm at the stage were you have to put in co-ordinates for my location but I need to convert to the decimal format 170'11'54"E 45'55'41"S is the location can someone tell me what the converted format is?
                        One thing that is vital to remember is that southern hemisphere latitudes are negative so your S45.928 would become -45.928
                        West longitudes are negative so it wont change your E170.198

Regards,
                        Gregg
                        YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

• For future use use this http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/audio/b...S-decimal.html

Welcome.
                          Michael
                          Palmerston North,
                          New Zealand
                          ex-FR24 Feeder

Comment

• Hi I'm new on here and have just received my micro adsb unit with the small aerial for a start. I am going to set it up at Dunedin Airport so will get coverage into the valley that is currently not being seen.I need a bit of help setting up I'm at the stage were you have to put in co-ordinates for my location but I need to convert to the decimal format 170'11'54"E 45'55'41"S is the location can someone tell me what the converted format is?
                            Welcome to the ADsb club . I too started with a Micro and wee little antenna as provided; I have since got heavy coax cable and a DPD Productions antenna and am using a Beast receiver. The push to get a better reception and longer distances does seem to permeate this group and I am the same. So much to learn about PP and adsb and it is as Deconz says, addictive. You will find plenty of people here willing to advise and help; don't hesitate to ask if you need help.

Comment

• Thanks for the help guys .Gregg the negative worked to find Dunedin Airport before that it was giving me somewhere in Russia. Thanks Now it says it has to track 3 aircraft so will have to wait for JQ and DJ and hopefully ZK-MVA or MVB which went u/s yesterday to come in here.

Comment

• Opps. Sorry, mybad forgot to translate it to a - for you

It will be hard to get 3 at once down there (its there to prevent people who think they have receivers but don't). Same as Invergiggle, so just email the pos information to info@fr24.com and they will flick you a code manually

Comment

Working...
                                X